joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 26-28 Blizzard Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took out the dog to do her business and to see what I could measure. I took several measurements and got a lot of 1.25" and 1.5". One 1.0". So I will call it 1.25" for now

Wind starting to rip. 15F. Dang cold. Really baking soda stuff. Hoping to get some growth. Bands starting to move in.

Glad to hear about the thundersnow

27.8/25 - Moderate Snow/Blowing Snow - Visibility between 1/2 and 1/4 mile - less in gusts.  

Peak wind from the NE at 43 mph. Sustained winds increasing and gusts becoming more frequent. 

Just reached 5" (total since snow started at 9am this morning).

I don't know as much about this as, well, any of you, but isn't it a bit premature for folks to be cutting back what they think they'll get?  I certainly understand the tenseness for those on the fringes, but for most of us, haven't we just hit like the starting line of this thing?  Is the radar showing something different than the forecasts, because I just see waves and waves of heavier snow starting to head into the region, pretty much on cue. 

That's what I said. That rgem run looked more progressive. Hopefully it's just a hiccup. The NAM solution was much better and showed a solid stall further south and east. Now inside 12 hours you'd have to give the NAM some level of viability

Yep...but the other possibility is it's still playing catchup and is now the west outlier.  We'll know soon.  I don't want to go into a lot of detail it causes trouble but I haven't loved the WV all night.  I don't like that a lot of the best moisture is already snuck by, or that we're still struggling to consolidate to the south.  It won't mean diddly the next 6-12 hours, but I do think there is very viable possibilities that this thing will kick ENE faster than we all thought tomorrow.  If I didn't know any better based on the WV, I'd be having a sh** fit....maybe I picked a good week to keep sniffing glue.  Gaping holes in the moisture levels aloft to our south...

Wcnxxyp.jpg

I'm vastly underwhelmed and disappointed!  I'll take a 13 inch wet snow bomb over this abomination any day of the week.  I have 5 inches of low impact fluff but I haven't even achieved moderate snow!  I'm hopeful these bands moving on in will be heavier.  But that dryslot is always a concern for extreme southern areas.

I'm vastly underwhelmed and disappointed! I'll take a 13 inch wet snow bomb over this abomination any day of the week. I have 5 inches of low impact fluff but I haven't even achieved moderate snow! I'm hopeful these bands moving on in will be heavier. But that dryslot is always a concern for extreme southern areas.

lol

I'm vastly underwhelmed and disappointed!  I'll take a 13 inch wet snow bomb over this abomination any day of the week.  I have 5 inches of low impact fluff but I haven't even achieved moderate snow!  I'm hopeful these bands moving on in will be heavier.  But that dryslot is always a concern for extreme southern areas.

5 inches is where you should be, the steadiest snow wasn't supposed to start until around midnight. Winds picking up now.

I totally by what Messenger is selling.

This is going east until the end.

Business snow probably done by tmw PM, aside from some oes, maybe

0z GFS is east of even the 18z.   I'd toss it, but I can't toss the 0z RGEM.

Hopefully at least a 0z RGEM and 0z GFS compromise, keeps EMA going tomorrow.  But hard not to think this slippage we're seeing stops and that come 6z each model slides...12z etc.

I think the historic nature of this "may" be slipping away...next 3-4 hours are critical.

READ THIS PEOPLE.

Jay the biggest piece of Xanax would be the 0z Euro givin most areas 2" QPF ....all the precip on euro is from 7pm on ...so aside from Cape cod....95% of precip will show with Euro.  IF euro craps out somehow with stall and cuts us to 1.5QPF maxes over SE mass and Cape Cod....the whole entire board will need therapy. YES it would be still be a very good storm, but if everyone gets cut that much...it will be abysmal.

I'm starting to reach into my wallet to buy what Clint has been selling but i'm not there yet. We know GFS is crap fine....nam at 12-18 hours (hmm I can't really toss it that easily) but I can see it off, RGEM ....ummm I don't know....what does CMC/UKIE show ...I'm gonna pour myself a shot or two of Vodka take a sip and a walk

Jay the biggest piece of Xanax would be the 0z Euro givin most areas 2" QPF ....all the precip on euro is from 7pm on ...so aside from Cape cod....95% of precip will show with Euro. IF euro craps out somehow with stall and cuts us to 1.5QPF maxes over SE mass and Cape Cod....the whole entire board will need therapy

i would be shocked if the euro gets schooled. Possible but I think the complex nature of this storm is causing issues for the models. Just my opinion.

READ THIS PEOPLE.

It's okay that people don't agree. 

0z GFS is a better hit than the 18z in the strike zone.  It cut back to the west and southwest vs it's earlier run.  It's still a big hit in the eastern 1/2 of SNE. 

The RGEM may be out to lunch who knows. 

Can see the expanding area of moisture as it gets ready to rotate up over SNE.

Vn7rCbJ.jpg

Archived