joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February mid to long range threats discussion

Ji

the whole problem is that for us to get snow is complicated

I just do not recall us getting decent snows in a complicated situation

eventually it may happen, but it's hard to accept

This upcoming pattern isnt that complicated, just need either a northern stream system to dig in the trough enough to stay south of us, or for a STJ wave to be timed correctly with the trough position.  Its not as simple as with a perfect block but its also not that complicated. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the whole problem is that for us to get snow is complicated

I just do not recall us getting decent snows in a complicated situation

eventually it may happen, but it's hard to accept

I like our chances for something. I like our chances for Thursday better than I do the system in a week. At this point I'll take any additional stat padding snow I can get. Many of us are one really good storm away from reaching climo. Problem is, a lot around here have this idea that foot + storms around here are common when they're anything but. 

This upcoming pattern isnt that complicated, just need either a northern stream system to dig in the trough enough to stay south of us, or for a STJ wave to be timed correctly with the trough position.  Its not as simple as with a perfect block but its also not that complicated. 

I'm talking about day 6 or so, and it is complicated....it's not an already formed slp moving toward us from our S or SW where a cold dome is present and there is High pressure locked in to our north

it starts as snow, turns to sleet, then back to snow according to the Euro text output I have

for us, it is complicated

Euro ensembles look pretty good. MSLP track through tn/ky and then moves se off the sc coast. Decent support for a convoluted long duration event. A good # of shellackings in there. Overall I would say south of the 12z op but lots of weird evolutions.

hmm yeah it does keep going and going

Euro ensembles look pretty good. MSLP track through tn/ky and then moves se off the sc coast. Decent support for a convoluted long duration event. A good # of shellackings in there. Overall I would say south of the 12z op but lots of weird evolutions.

Yeah some slow moving lows in there. I enjoyed e11 and its 40"+ of illegal snowmap over Richmond through Wednesday. DC gets screwed with only 18" though (UGH!).

One thing I really like about the run is the hp moves lock step and directly over top of the lp as it tracks eastward. No little arm sticking out like the most recent fail. The HP anomaly remains centered over the low the whole time.

Very strong signal for the low to close off and wander up the coast from SC.

Not something you usually see on an ensemble mean 8 days out. 

ecmwf-ens_z500a_us_9.png

Euro did something similar in November. It just digs the crap out of the southern stream this run. Cutoff lows in the southeast are pretty rare, but then again that track is too far south for us anyways.

Euro did something similar in November. It just digs the crap out of the southern stream this run. Cutoff lows in the southeast are pretty rare, but then again that track is too far south for us anyways.

What's weird is so many ensemble members generally agreeing on the same idea. Even though the mean shows the closed low too far south, the lead low that tracks through tn/ky stripes our area pretty good and then when the closed ull forms there's a big long plume of precip thrown back. The mean precip panels are the longest duration and wettest I've ever seen.

There's 10 consecutive 6 hours panels that give us .10 qpf or more. After the low closes off is crawls at a snails pace up the coast and it's not a fringe job on the run. The .10 contour is back into WVA. Mean precip for the "event" is 1". 

Do I believe this is what is going to happen? Not really. But seeing so much agreement at this lead is not very common. 

What's weird is so many ensemble members generally agreeing on the same idea. Even though the mean shows the closed low too far south, the lead low that tracks through tn/ky stripes our area pretty good and then when the closed ull forms there's a big long plume of precip thrown back. The mean precip panels are the longest duration and wettest I've ever seen.

There's 10 consecutive 6 hours panels that give us .10 qpf or more. After the low closes off is crawls at a snails pace up the coast and it's not a fringe job on the run. The .10 contour is back into WVA. Mean precip for the "event" is 1". 

Do I believe this is what is going to happen? Not really. But seeing so much agreement at this lead is not very common. 

Yeah January 1996 was an odd cutoff also. Something interesting could happen out of it. I just hope the closed low doesn't go that far south so we don't waste it.

Archived