joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February mid to long range threats discussion

Ji

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably a good reason to look skeptically at what the Euro ensemble is suggesting.

yeah, I just looked at the JMA and NAVGEM, as they seem to also have a cut-off to our south, and they too are warmish

apparently, by sitting to our south for so long, the u/l storm just pumps the warm air north until it overwhelms the cold air, which is always tentative in these parts

"oddly"?

more like predictably lol

this winter has been like watching a train wreck, but we're on the train

quite frustrating to say the least

I'm not even completely sure what it's showing to be honest. Model rabbit hole. Might just be rolling the current pattern forward on analogs. It does look better by mid month. The Feb 15 centering is decent.. Feb 2006 on there.

yeah, I just looked at the JMA and NAVGEM, as they seem to also have a cut-off to our south, and they too are warmish

apparently, by sitting to our south for so long, the u/l storm just pumps the warm air north until it overwhelms the cold air, which is always tentative in these parts

GFS has had an on again off again cutoff low in the SE east of JAX offshore... I think it was down to 989mb on one run

this is late and mostly posting this to pass time, but thurs and sunday are of interest in noaa's extended discussion:

IN THE EAST, TWO MAIN DISTINCT POSSIBILITIES FOR WIDESPREAD PRECIPITATION
EXIST. THE FIRST IS DAY 3/THU, WHEN A SHORTWAVE DIGGING INTO THE
MIDWEST HELPS TO DRAW A SYSTEM OVER THE GULF OF MEXICO NORTHWARD
ALONG THE ATLANTIC SEABOARD. HOW THESE TWO DISCREET IMPULSES
INTERACT WILL DEFINE HOW MUCH WINTRY PRECIPITATION FALLS AND
WHERE. THE NEXT EVENT BREWS ACROSS THE CENTRAL THEN ERN US BY DAY
6/7 SUN/NEXT MON. LOW DEVELOPMENT IN ADVANCE OF A N-CENTRAL US
BASED COLD SURGE IS EXPECTED TO OCCUR WHEN ANOTHER PAIR OF
DISJOINTED SHORTWAVES OFFERS A SIMILAR SPREAD OF
PRECIPITATION-TYPE AND COVERAGE POSSIBILITIES. WPC MEDIUM RANGE
WEATHER GRIDS OFFER OUR LATEST BEST ESTIMATE OF AREAL COVERAGE AND
PROBABILITIES.

I'm not even completely sure what it's showing to be honest. Model rabbit hole. Might just be rolling the current pattern forward on analogs. It does look better by mid month. The Feb 15 centering is decent.. Feb 2006 on there.

The temp anomalies are absurd in that map. There's no eastern snow anywhere in that map, even in Boston. And then Western Canada is going to be frigid given the 500-mb pattern? Yeah, it's a weird product... 

The temp anomalies are absurd in that map. There's no eastern snow anywhere in that map, even in Boston. And then Western Canada is going to be frigid given the 500-mb pattern? Yeah, it's a weird product... 

Playing around with it more I think it is just rolling forward the current pattern... which doesn't really mean much most likely.

I'm trying to stay positive in hopes this cold isn't all just for annoyance.

Although the mood here has been non stop pile on complaining, the next couple weeks appear to be the best overall pattern we've seen since this ho hum winter started. Not perfect but we rarely get that anyway.

I would be in the panic thread if we had a -pna and se ridge locked into the means or something similar to Dec. But just because sne is getting hammered really doesn't mean much. Bullseyes can move around. Last year was a prime example. I kinda doubt we blank out the next 2 weeks.

Guys, I have a question. Can someone tell me why we haven't had a solid -nao this winter to benefit us? It was positive last winter also. I know there is more than just that.

Related to the equatorial breach. Or could be the -QBO or the lack of a SSW or a favorable MJO phase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Although the mood here has been non stop pile on complaining, the next couple weeks appear to be the best overall pattern we've seen since this ho hum winter started. Not perfect but we rarely get that anyway.

I would be in the panic thread if we had a -pna and se ridge locked into the means or something similar to Dec. But just because sne is getting hammered really doesn't mean much. Bullseyes can move around. Last year was a prime example. I kinda doubt we blank out the next 2 weeks.

I have seen us do the impossible.

How in the world did these despondent posters survive during the past "lean" seasons that were lean heading into February 2nd? Just in the last 15 seasons, I sorted out a list of winters that weren't looking "ok" by February 1st: 00/01, 01/02, 04/05, 06/07, 08/09, 11/12, 12/13.

I still contend that there's nothing historically bad about this winter, and rather, that people just feel more free to dump all their complaints into every thread. 

We do have a decent pattern shaping up.  I'm sure we can score a clipper along the way.  But it is fun to think about the epic stem winder possibility on the euro :snowing:  

you look at this run of the gfs thru 220 hrs and it is just lather, rinse, and repeat for snows to our north

I do not trust the euro past 2 days and no one in this sub forum should either this year

the euro is the only model with this cut off low giving us snow while tonight's GFS has 5 or 6 6-hour panels showing light snow for BOS....gee, I wonder which model will be right?

the pattern can be as ripe as it wants, but some years it just doesn't snow here of any consequence and this one has all those earmarks

you look at this run of the gfs thru 220 hrs and it is just lather, rinse, and repeat for snows to our north

I do not trust the euro past 2 days and no one in this sub forum should either this year

the euro is the only model with this cut off low giving us snow while tonight's GFS has 5 or 6 6-hour panels showing light snow for BOS....gee, I wonder which model will be right?

Why would you trust the GFS past 2 days and not the Euro?

the pattern can be as ripe as it wants, but some years it just doesn't snow here of any consequence

And those are generally years that have no good pattern... ie 01-02 or 11-12.

and this one has all those earmarks

Not really

Why would you trust the GFS past 2 days and not the Euro?

And those are generally years that have no good pattern... ie 01-02 or 11-12.

Not really

parsing away  misses the point

BWI has about 60% of what it should have, which gives a total of 6.1" and it's Feb. 2

add to that the recent near misses and if you want to try to convince yourself this winter so far is much better than those 2 winters you mention, knock yourself out, but you are sure as hell not going to come close to convincing me

insult to injury is the fact that BWI was BN on temps and snow with AN precip in JAN, a feat it doesn't often reach

Canadian has the semblance of something to our south on day 6 looking warmish, but the map ain't so "professional" lookin'

http://weather.gc.ca/data/model_forecast/495_100.gif

156 has it going out to sea as a weak MSLP... and then promptly get cut off and meander around for 36 hrs offshore

Looks like 5mm or so for us (rough guess)

Archived