joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February mid to long range threats discussion

Ji

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are we looking at here?  Similar set up to today's storm?

precisely....low moves from KY/IN border to APPS then jumps to VA capes...we get a few inches of snow/sleet in advance then changeover/mix

Then the very common and realistic backend couple inches...verbatim, the whole thing drops 6"+ for us

Be careful, he may block you on fb.  Lol, he blocked me like 2 years ago because I dared to criticize him.  He's a man-baby.

Be careful, he may block you on fb.  Lol, he blocked me like 2 years ago because I dared to criticize him.  He's a man-baby.

He has me blocked on Twitter.. I've never even interacted with him there. 

The setup looks similar at the surface than the last debacle but there's definitely a better 50/50 and atlantic closed ridge block. That hasn't gone away yet. Not saying the results won't be the same but it's more interesting for sure. Another one of those deals where the d3-4 thing has to go as planned before the d6-7 thing can be figured out.

The setup looks similar at the surface than the last debacle but there's definitely a better 50/50 and atlantic closed ridge block. That hasn't gone away yet. Not saying the results won't be the same but it's more interesting for sure. Another one of those deals where the d3-4 thing has to go as planned before the d6-7 thing can be figured out.

It WILL find a way to screw us.  The seasonal trend this winter cannot and will not be denied.   Like Matt said, we'd need a Low/precip to be down near Cuba at this point before we can have any reasonable expectations of a hit here.

I know it's more "out there" in time as you say...but what do the mid-levels look like on the Euro for this?  Are they pretty warm like the GFS has been showing?  On the GFS the flow gets pretty "meh" behind this storm before another strong front moves through.

I'm not sold on anything yet, but worthy to keep an eye on.  At least until it blows up on us again!

It WILL find a way to screw us.  The seasonal trend this winter cannot and will not be denied.   Like Matt said, we'd need a Low/precip to be down near Cuba at this point before we can have any reasonable expectations of a hit here.

Congrats, Havana!!  Since the U.S. working toward normalizing relations with Cuba, might be worth a road trip to chase! :lmao:  (or more appropriately, perhaps... :pimp: )

not true...if it goes too south...it will not come north. You know the rule...when we need a north trend...it goes south and when we need a south trend...it goes north

I know it's more "out there" in time as you say...but what do the mid-levels look like on the Euro for this? Are they pretty warm like the GFS has been showing? On the GFS the flow gets pretty "meh" behind this storm before another strong front moves through.

I'm not sold on anything yet, but worthy to keep an eye on. At least until it blows up on us again!

We lose 850's for a bit as the low jumps. The whole evolution is a good bit different than the gfs. Euro digs h5 much better and has a pretty decent ridge behind it. GFS is flatter and more progressive. Each playing their bias I suppose. I'm not sure if the new gfs has a bias though.

Euro ensembles looked fairly similar to today's op run overall. We in the who the F knows range either way.

We lose 850's for a bit as the low jumps. The whole evolution is a good bit different than the gfs. Euro digs h5 much better and has a pretty decent ridge behind it. GFS is flatter and more progressive. Each playing their bias I suppose. I'm not sure if the new gfs has a bias though.

Euro ensembles looked fairly similar to today's op run overall. We in the who the F knows range either way.

Thanks!  That gives me a better sort of "visual" of what the Euro is doing (crazy sounding as it is), as well as the differences with the GFS.  You're right, it's definitely in who the F knows range.  I think you're right, depending on what happens with whatever system there is (or isn't?) later this week will tell us a lot on whether we've got something worth tracking after that.

The pessimism in here is suffocating.  I totally get it, I am as down about our luck as everyone else, but I look at the overall pattern and am not close to giving up on one good hit before its over.  Its not the perfect pattern but its also far from hostile for a snowstorm and we are in our prime time climo period through the next few weeks. 

The PNA looks to take over and put a trough in the east for the foreseeable future.  We lose the EPO for a while but if the PNA takes up the torch honestly in Feb I would prefer a favorable PNA over EPA if we want snow and not just cold.  The NAO seems to want to stay in the neutral territory and even has an east based block showing up next week.  It's not perfect but far from the hot mess on wheels we dealt with all winter until now.  I could also see in this pattern that the parade of storms bombing out into the marritimes could easily push the NAO into even more favorable territory then the models are showing now, its a "good" pattern that is really close to becoming a great pattern.  I am not worried by what each run of the op models show.  they will bounce around and we will see some good runs and bad ones but with this pattern the chance something pops up in our favor will be there in the next few weeks.

I guess my point is while we have not been lucky so far, and the pattern is not perfect, its definitely good enough to have hope and its certainly one that we have scored with in the past.  This game ain't over yet so man or woman up and get on board for the ride. 

Again, I am looking for just ONE storm to be so heavy it gives everyone a surplus of snow for the year! This one could do it! LOL!

On a serious note, I am not serious, and if anyone accepts this at face value they are not being serious, and I am seriously thinking we are gonna be shafted, and I am really serious!

Then again, a blind squirrel occasionally gets a nut.. we just keep getting kicked in them!

The pessimism in here is suffocating.  I totally get it, I am as down about our luck as everyone else, but I look at the overall pattern and am not close to giving up on one good hit before its over.  Its not the perfect pattern but its also far from hostile for a snowstorm and we are in our prime time climo period through the next few weeks. 

The PNA looks to take over and put a trough in the east for the foreseeable future.  We lose the EPO for a while but if the PNA takes up the torch honestly in Feb I would prefer a favorable PNA over EPA if we want snow and not just cold.  The NAO seems to want to stay in the neutral territory and even has an east based block showing up next week.  It's not perfect but far from the hot mess on wheels we dealt with all winter until now.  I could also see in this pattern that the parade of storms bombing out into the marritimes could easily push the NAO into even more favorable territory then the models are showing now, its a "good" pattern that is really close to becoming a great pattern.  I am not worried by what each run of the op models show.  they will bounce around and we will see some good runs and bad ones but with this pattern the chance something pops up in our favor will be there in the next few weeks.

I guess my point is while we have not been lucky so far, and the pattern is not perfect, its definitely good enough to have hope and its certainly one that we have scored with in the past.  This game ain't over yet so man or woman up and get on board for the ride. 

I know the 12Z ops GFS had some wild stuff today but it may not be completely out to lunch in the overall large scale flow.  The GEFS ensemble mean has had the sort of the look you discuss here, in an overall broad sense.  It's shown that pretty consistently, too, and I have seen hints of a neutral or perhaps even slightly negative NAO.  Regardless, it had a mean (fairly deep) trough in the east and looked pretty cold overall.  Whether that turns into something finally, who knows.

(ETA:  Your reference to "taking up the torch" is sort of an ironic turn of phrase I think...might raise some eyebrows!) 

Again, I am looking for just ONE storm to be so heavy it gives everyone a surplus of snow for the year! This one could do it! LOL!

On a serious note, I am not serious, and if anyone accepts this at face value they are not being serious, and I am seriously thinking we are gonna be shafted, and I am really serious!

Then again, a blind squirrel occasionally gets a nut.. we just keep getting kicked in them!

Our region has been a castrato in that regard.  We've had a very "eunich" ability to miss snow this year. :whistle:

Archived