joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February mid to long range threats discussion

Ji

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this the cutoff low that the models have been advertising we are talking about?  Or a different system entirely?  And if it is different, its Sunday into Monday, yes?

it never really cuts off...it's just a super super deep trough....the base of the trough is in Havana.....a piece of energy catches up and phases with the frontrunner...There is almost no way the euro is handling it properly.....we need a miller A stat

6z GFS ens have a neverending +PNA. Think cold is going to be the theme for the next 2 weeks at least, whether we get snow is a whole other issue. I could imagine the country seeing a massive storm once that ridge breaks down, right in time for the cold to vanish

hopefully it warms sooner than that

Damn Mitch you're never this negative, the winter gods have created a monster, sad :(. The winter takes many lives....we must fight on. Our general Zwyts will take us to the promise land. 

In retrospect, we needed the thaw to reshuffle the deck. No thaw, and it's the same old pattern. I'm thinking BWI stays single digits for snow this year. Change the pattern, and it's another story. But we are running out of time for that. March fluke? I see that as our only shot. But if it ain't gunna' snow, I see no reason to pay Constellation Energy all that money to warm my cold, dry house.

In retrospect, we needed the thaw to reshuffle the deck. No thaw, and it's the same old pattern. I'm thinking BWI stays single digits for snow this year. Change the pattern, and it's another story. But we are running out of time for that. March fluke? I see that as our only shot. But if it ain't gunna' snow, I see no reason to pay Constellation Energy all that money to warm my cold, dry house.

Why does it take a thaw to get a pattern shift? I don't see the scientific basis....

Mitch, I sometimes get that weird feeling that the models are going to go crazy, and today is that day. I have a feeling the EURO is going to go HAM on us today with a 1-2 ft event.

I'm not sure that would do much to add any confidence to the period. Euro ens ticked notably NW with both the lead low and hp to the n. That trend needs to stop. We have no room as it is. Relying on some convoluted closed off follow up is a recipe for nothing here the majority of the time. If we whiff the lead low then the proverbial fork is on the table.

I'm not sure that would do much to add any confidence to the period. Euro ens ticked notably NW with both the lead low and hp to the n. That trend needs to stop. We have no room as it is. Relying on some convoluted closed off follow up is a recipe for nothing here the majority of the time. If we whiff the lead low then the proverbial fork is on the table.

I'm so honestly confused...what "storm"/period are we talking about again?

You would think with the +pna lasting 2 weeks or longer something would accidentally pass underneath us.

It is a hard pattern to give up in that's for sure. I don't feel that strongly one way or another but have also noted a sub 10" winter at DCA seems to make sense at this point. I do certainly doubt a repeat of last year but I wouldn't be shocked to see our best storm of the winter ahead either. Not very helpful thoughts.. Long way of saying I don't know but at this point the seasonal trend might matter.

You would think with the +pna lasting 2 weeks or longer something would accidentally pass underneath us.

oh it probably will Bob, but that doesn't mean it will snow on us

all anyone has to do is to run a loop of today's 12z NAM and GFS to see how it looks when it just can't or won't snow in our back yard

and I'm speaking wrt the 2/5-2/6 thingy

Archived