joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February mid to long range threats discussion

Ji

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bob, you know what is a little interesting, aside from the fact that we are analyzing a 10+ day GFS run, but the GFS has shown a similar event occurring in that time range now for a few runs. Look at the 6z run @ 276-288 hours....Obviously we wouldn't take it literal, but it could mean that the LR pattern could be fun. 

Bob, you know what is a little interesting, aside from the fact that we are analyzing a 10+ day GFS run, but the GFS has shown a similar event occurring in that time range now for a few runs. Look at the 6z run @ 276-288 hours....Obviously we wouldn't take it literal, but it could mean that the LR pattern could be fun. 

Ensembles like the amped +pna pattern for the foreseeable future. We have no idea how any ind event may or may not happen. I would prefer the trough axis further west. Ens means would imply more chances for things to pass north than south. 

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=pmdepd

IN THE EAST...WITH THE INITIAL WAVE MOVING OFF THE EAST COAST DAY
3...SNOW IS LIKELY FOR EASTERN NEW ENGLAND BEFORE THE STORM
DEPARTS BEYOND THE CANADIAN MARITIMES. WITH THE AMPLIFYING TROUGH
AND SFC FRONTAL WAVE...SNOW IS EXPECTED ACROSS THE NORTHERN PLAINS
TO UPPER MS VALLEY SAT TO THE GREAT LAKES SUN AND THEN THE CENTRAL
APPALACHIANS TO MID ATLANTIC LATE SUN TO MON. BEYOND THAT THE
POTENTIAL IS THERE FOR MON-TUE SNOW FOR THE MID ATLANTIC TO NEW
ENGLAND.  TEMPERATURES ARE PERSISTENTLY BELOW NORMAL DAYS 3-7 IN NEW
YORK/NEW ENGLAND AND DOWN IN FLORIDA.

Ensembles like the amped +pna pattern for the foreseeable future. We have no idea how any ind event may or may not happen. I would prefer the trough axis further west. Ens means would imply more chances for things to pass north than south. 

Yeah the +PNA seems to be the theme in the 10+ day, but I feel like we haven't seen a stout +PNA with ridging across the pole like the GEFS/EPS is showing all winter.  Just look at what the GEFS was advertising for the next 5 days on it's Jan 24th run and compare it to what is actually going to verify.  If we had and or get a great +PNA then we would have seen more snow and will see snow, but still don't buy it yet.  I know you guys have nickeled and dimed your way to a nice January, hopefully that at least continues for Feb.

If the Jan24th run would have verified I would suspect the system on Thursday/Friday would have been more favorable for all of us.

Jan 24th run for Feb 3-8th

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs-ens&region=nhem&pkg=z500a5d&runtime=2015012412&fh=360&xpos=0&ypos=136

Feb 3rd run for Feb 3-8th

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs-ens&region=nhem&pkg=z500a5d&runtime=2015020306&fh=120&xpos=0&ypos=121

Yeah the +PNA seems to be the theme in the 10+ day, but I feel like we haven't seen a stout +PNA with ridging across the pole like the GEFS/EPS is showing all winter.  Just look at what the GEFS was advertising for the next 5 days on it's Jan 24th run and compare it to what is actually going to verify.  If we had and or get a great +PNA then we would have seen more snow and will see snow, but still don't buy it yet.  I know you guys have nickeled and dimed your way to a nice January, hopefully that at least continues for Feb.

If the Jan24th run would have verified I would suspect the system on Thursday/Friday would have been more favorable for all of us.

Jan 24th run for Feb 3-8th

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs-ens&region=nhem&pkg=z500a5d&runtime=2015012412&fh=360&xpos=0&ypos=136

Feb 3rd run for Feb 3-8th

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs-ens&region=nhem&pkg=z500a5d&runtime=2015020306&fh=120&xpos=0&ypos=121

I really don't have many thoughts beyond 5 days anymore. While the pna ridge has pretty much total support, that doesn't mean easy for anybody south of nyc. Shortwave spacing is tight. Can't really look beyond the one at the plate and the one on deck. Just have to pray that any one dropping down can pass south of your yard's latitude. 

There could be transient blocking setup by any big storm that moves through the maritimes. Maybe there are enough to punch the nao in the face enough times to concede but I really doubt that. 

In retrospect, we needed the thaw to reshuffle the deck. No thaw, and it's the same old pattern. I'm thinking BWI stays single digits for snow this year. Change the pattern, and it's another story. But we are running out of time for that. March fluke? I see that as our only shot. But if it ain't gunna' snow, I see no reason to pay Constellation Energy all that money to warm my cold, dry house.

The pattern has changed plenty for the one that dominated much of January.  We went from a -EPO +NAO dominated pattern to a +PNA neutral NAO one.  The former is a cold pattern but with an awful storm track.  The pattern we are in now is not perfect but its certainly one with potential and we have had many snow events in such a pattern.  Its not a bad setup.  It looks stable for the forseeable future and I am willing to let it play out before giving up.  Just because we have not seen a big snow in the first part of this new pattern does not mean we wont see snow if given several more opportunities before it breaks down. 

UKMET seems good but the public offerings are weak. It does score well. I've yet to see that the GGEM is way better than it used to be. It seems to usually be wrong for us.

Saw the scores posted for the UKMET after the last storm, and it has been right near the top recently among the models. The GGEM seemed to be the last model to catch on to the northern shift on last weekend's storm, so agreed that it still stinks.

The pattern has changed plenty for the one that dominated much of January.  We went from a -EPO +NAO dominated pattern to a +PNA neutral NAO one.  The former is a cold pattern but with an awful storm track.  The pattern we are in now is not perfect but its certainly one with potential and we have had many snow events in such a pattern.  Its not a bad setup.  It looks stable for the forseeable future and I am willing to let it play out before giving up.  Just because we have not seen a big snow in the first part of this new pattern does not mean we wont see snow if given several more opportunities before it breaks down. 

12Z Euro Low passes right over us

there's your new pattern psuhoffman....just what we had yesterday     :axe:

Archived