Newest Member
    joxey
February mid to long range threats discussion

Ji

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh it probably will Bob, but that doesn't mean it will snow on us

all anyone has to do is to run a loop of today's 12z NAM and GFS to see how it looks when it just can't or won't snow in our back yard

and I'm speaking wrt the 2/5-2/6 thingy

The 2/5-6 was never really modeled to be much. We read between some lines hoping for the right changes.

We'll see where the gfs goes but there's definitely an improvement at h5. Better confluence and hp to the north than 6z early on.

Second s/w has no chance to develop a surface reflection since it's too close to the first one (takes the dynamics).

The first s/w is unable to dig because of the second s/w on its heels, but the Eastern Canadian Vortex did move much more SE vs 6z which allowed for a strong High/confluence to build in underneath. You would think with that look GFS would transfer the low SE off the coast (like the EURO), path of least resistance.

It is a hard pattern to give up in that's for sure. I don't feel that strongly one way or another but have also noted a sub 10" winter at DCA seems to make sense at this point. I do certainly doubt a repeat of last year but I wouldn't be shocked to see our best storm of the winter ahead either. Not very helpful thoughts.. Long way of saying I don't know but at this point the seasonal trend might matter.

Yes, a sub-10" DCA winter "feels" right, right now. But, you're right to be cautious...of course no one really knows exactly what's going to happen in the next 6 weeks. 

Again, in 5 out of the past 10 seasons, the DC area's biggest snowstorm came after February 20th. 

Yes, a sub-10" DCA winter "feels" right, right now. But, you're right to be cautious...of course no one really knows exactly what's going to happen in the next 6 weeks. 

Again, in 5 out of the past 10 seasons, the DC area's biggest snowstorm came after February 20th. 

i don't think it feels right at all.  given how well we've done with cold temps this season, we are doing really poorly in the snow department.  maybe this is an anomaly winter, just like 09/10.  i can't remember us seeing so little snow in a season where for the bulk of the prime season it's been chilly and at times quite cold.  just can't get those northern vorts to dig enough when it counts.  i know one thing, that next 60 degree day is going to feel tropical compared to what we've had since november.

0.75" for DCA/IAD, a little less to the north and west...

Very nice, the models are a bit all over the place with regards to the timing of the shortwave. There's kind of a race between letting the High Build in following the ULL in SE Canada and the shortwave that forms the storm. GFS kind of rushes the s/w which is why it is warm south of 40N...The Ukie looks like the optimal scenario to me, that HP is awesome

Archived