• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February mid to long range threats discussion

Ji

It looks pretty excellent to keep things below us this time but I'm definitely jaded for now.

I could go all weenie and envision h5 closing off and not having so much suppression in front. Euro is definitely amp happy at medium to long leads. That's a fact this year.

It does close off but off the sc coast. Trough is going negative as well.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just something I noticed on today's CFS2 precip forecast

it had been having normal precip right along almost the entire east coast butt that shifted today to normal along the MA and SE coast, with even one little small green dot over MD's eastern shore

I think the pattern it's sniffin' out is being reflected on both the GFS and Euro

http://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/people/wwang/cfsv2fcst/imagesInd3/usPrecMonInd1.gif

Euro isn't far off from a big storm for us. I suppose 1-2' to the beaches of nc-sc is possible but it wasn't far from a big up the coast storm.

The GFS was also close to being a big storm and it also has the atlantic blocking.  As Matt says, it's a window of opportunity, probably a pretty good window. 

Euro isn't far off from a big storm for us. I suppose 1-2' to the beaches of nc-sc is possible but it wasn't far from a big up the coast storm.

Watch this time have no north trend :lol::axe:

But seems like this time period (Feb 8-10) is our best shot this winter... which isnt saying very much at all

Watch this time have no north trend :lol::axe:

But seems like this time period (Feb 8-10) is our best shot this winter... which isnt saying very much at all

Looks like there might be a storm somewhere. I guess we never learn here.

We have to talk about something, right? I imagine this as more casual talk than snow addicts standing in the corner shadows incessantly murmuring "We can't win if we don't track."

Edit--High-z is def in the corner :P

It's fine it looks interesting. Yoda talking north trend. It's model spew still.

It's fine it looks interesting. Yoda talking north trend. It's model spew still.

The GFS was also close to being a big storm and it also has the atlantic blocking.  As Matt says, it's a window of opportunity, probably a pretty good window. 

yes...just a window where something could happen....we don't even know the days yet...as far as I'm concerned there is no discrete storm....we might have a good pattern for a few days, and there is a signal for some storm of some kind to happen during that window...that's pretty much it right now

What graphic do I look at and what features should I be looking for to see the block.. seriously I want to understand this better.

It's actually closed low, upper level ridge and closed high that extends northward to iceland and the upper low near Spain.  that's pretty much an omega block. 

Hi Wes.   There seems to be a similar omega block almost in the other hemisphere.

The blocks seem almost 180 degree from each other.

Would this imply a stable pattern that should persist?

I cant get JMA precip maps on my phone for some reason, but 500mb is delicious Id imagine it shows a snowstorm...It also has that 50/50 feature that GFS & EURO show...

Can i ask for a favor from my MA friends, can I start a thread on this? I think its good karma to let an outsider start a thread, Highzenberg Storm has a nice ring to it, plus Game of Thrones trailer just came out, winter is coming.

I cant get JMA precip maps on my phone for some reason, but 500mb is delicious Id imagine it shows a snowstorm...It also has that 50/50 feature that GFS & EURO show...

Can i ask for a favor from my MA friends, can I start a thread on this? I think its good karma to let an outsider start a thread, Highzenberg Storm has a nice ring to it, plus Game of Thrones trailer just came out, winter is coming.

Saw the GOT trailer. Cant wait. As far as starting a new thread...lol dont do it.

If you look at the 500mb evolution of the event on the EURO/GFS/JMA you can see the beautiful impact of the temporary block as the shortwave kind of meanders and doesnt stop digging. I think if this storm is legit and models are right about the Atlantic therss a better chance for a miss to the south than the north

It's actually closed low, upper level ridge and closed high that extends northward to iceland and the upper low near Spain. that's pretty much an omega block.

Absolutely. I was pointing out the easiest thing to track. 50/50 placement is dependent on the ridge but for ease of watching, keeping an eye on the 50/50 will tell most of the story. If the closed ridge ends up weaker the 50/50 would likely end up further north.

Euro ensembles like the storm in general. Mean looks quite similar to the op with the closed ridge and 50/50. Plenty of members support a decent storm but spread in tracks. All in all, things look as good as you can ask for at this lead.

Archived