• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February mid to long range threats discussion

Ji

A stat that may be depressing or positive depending on your perspective on how tracking storms has gone this winter: DCA's biggest snow event came after February 20th in 4 out of the 10 past seasons (2014, 2013, 2009, 2007). If you expand to DC metro, that would be 5 out of the past 10 winters (2005 would get added in there-- at DCA it was close- 2.9" on 2/24 vs. 3" in the New England blizzard in January). 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much agree. We're not getting snow with mild air. Spring will come soon enough and when we hit 90 for the first time we'll be longing for some cool weather.

I'd like to punt and say it's over but we are just starting Feb so tough to say no storm will deliver. Sure does look bleak right now though

A stat that may be depressing or positive depending on your perspective on how tracking storms has gone this winter: DCA's biggest snow event came after February 20th in 4 out of the 10 past seasons (2014, 2013, 2009, 2007). If you expand to DC metro, that would be 5 out of the past 10 winters (2005 would get added in there-- at DCA it was close- 2.9" on 2/24 vs. 3" in the New England blizzard in January).

March snow sucks

Hopefully after this cold and dry nonsense ahead we can flip to warm for a while.

I wish but the latest GEFS ens guidance suggests maybe a day or two of moderation and then the pattern reverts to what it's been.  On the bright side the Euro has a winter storm on the 9th that can break hearts over the next week or so until it becomes a rain storm or a nothing storm

I wish but the latest GEFS ens guidance suggests maybe a day or two of moderation and then the pattern reverts to what it's been.  On the bright side the Euro has a winter storm on the 9th that can break hearts over the next week or so until it becomes a rain storm or a nothing storm

I kind of expect a colder than normal (or +1 at DCA) Feb/Mar even without much good snow to go with it. Someone needs to nuke the western ridge.  I'm all in on the 9th storm. :D

It's like 40 hours of weird overunning that destroys central pa before sagging south then a coastal takes over and destroys us. On my phone so can't see the details. No chance it holds.

I don't know...sounds legit to me. I'll punt after this one. Or maybe 60 hours out when the models shift to show cold rain for us.

The Day 9 storm doesn't have a lot of support from the GEFS ensembes other than there will be some type of shortwave approaching the coast day 9 or 10 but only one member has a trough as strong as the Euro and it has a more northerly low look.  Day 9 snowstorms are sort of like Redskin off season moves, they look good at first glance but rarely ever produce.

This period covers what is going to be the best pattern in the history of ever, so I am sure we will be counting our snow in feet - both digital and real life.

My digital to real snow ratio is about 9:1 so far. So I guess I would need model agreement on about 40" for me to feel confident in a warning criteria event.

Dt says pattern breaks down after the 5th...so nevermind to this thread

Looks like a western ridge/eastern trough for at least the next 10 days. Not sure what he is referring to. We dont have a real neg AO/NAO now nor will we over the next 10 days. But generally it looks cold. Beyond that who the hell knows. The models surely dont.

The Day 9 storm doesn't have a lot of support from the GEFS ensembes other than there will be some type of shortwave approaching the coast day 9 or 10 but only one member has a trough as strong as the Euro and it has a more northerly low look. Day 9 snowstorms are sort of like Redskin off season moves, they look good at first glance but rarely ever produce.

And, even if it did have support from the ensembles, it wouldn't matter. We need to get within 48-60 hours this season before really getting a good feel for what's going to happen, model agreement be damned.

Archived