• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
February mid to long range threats discussion

Ji

Days 7 and 8 look interesting on the EURO tonight... coastal low that brings us snow?

Storm potential for late next week has been there for awhile now.

The more knowledgeable may correct me, but I think it's a pretty good looking set up.  Run any of the 500 heights of the last several gfs runs from a northern hemisphere perspective and look at the negative heights in the Gulf of Alaska.  It's causing a really nice ridge on the west coast and trough on the east coast.  I won't get too excited until it delivers at least one time, but that's a persistent look to the pattern in the long range.   The northwest flow is open for business across the eastern 2/3 of the US, and southern stream energy coming across the southern tier.  As long as we don't get too much suppression it could be a good couple of weeks.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rain to maybe paste. Low to the north screws up the midlevels. By 162 we get the column but precip is departing and surface is mid 30's. Probably not worth discussing too much either way. Plenty of potential.  

its very close for me...like 6 or so inches....marginal temps...lets get that one trending colder. Its not suppose to be warm on Feb 5th of our rocking Feb

Rain to maybe paste. Low to the north screws up the midlevels. By 162 we get the column but precip is departing and surface is mid 30's. Probably not worth discussing too much either way. Plenty of potential.  

GFS had a similar low to the north from what I saw, looks it warms up some here (above freezing, but not a torch), front goes through, and the GFS tries to develop some wave along the front but kind of too late.  There's little precip here before and after the front passes.

You have ot beyond 144? Regardless it is a damn good setup. A low scoots east in Canada which allows for a high to build in, thatlow down south looks epic. 

GFS does have a similar system though perhaps not as strongly.  Temps are kind of marginal for awhile but who knows.  It also does get some precip this way before it scoots out.

I would like to add a comment on just the cold that we have had or have been told was coming. Am I the only one that thinks it has not been overly cold this year? Every time the real cold is modeled to come it has been meh. Today 40 the wind is making it cold. Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have ot beyond 144? Regardless it is a damn good setup. A low scoots east in Canada which allows for a high to build in, thatlow down south looks epic. 

It crushes much of NC and SE VA up to about Richmond after rain initially before heading east out to sea.  DC does get scraped with an inch or two (probably right where you want it at this range, eh?).

Then the Euro goes full-on cold and crushes our storm before it gets a chance to turn the corner.  Huge model swings last night.  The 00z Euro had a steamroom coastal.

Watch Thursday at 500mb with the northern stream diving into and trying to catch the southern energy. The northern s/w digs and raises heights enough on 18z GFS that the associated low with southern s/w comes up the coast. Compare the evolution of the coastal18z GFS at 500mb with 12z and you can see the northern stream interacting more with the southern stream. Also the southern vort spins up a nice little Surface LP along the Gulf Coast to work with.

In the past I've seen this happen in reverse, where we start out with a phased coastal solution days in advanced which eventually trends AWAY and all we are left with is a little southern s/w running way out ahead of the northern s/w and we end up with no storm or a weak out to sea solution.

Archived