e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
February mid to long range threats discussion

Ji

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ensembles are at least insistent on a general ridge west/trough east for a couple weeks with no breakdown. Obviously sensible wx isn't as static day over day but it seems pretty stable on the averages. Not a great big storm look with no stable blocking showing up but there are some signs of blocking coming into the picture down the line.

Do I believe we get a stable -nao/nao? Not until its happening. That's for sure.

The short story is I really don't see a breakdown of cold shots for a while. Certainly no warm-up is being advertised.

Ensembles are at least insistent on a general ridge west/trough east for a couple weeks with no breakdown. Obviously sensible wx isn't as static day over day but it seems pretty stable on the averages. Not a great big storm look with no stable blocking showing up but there are some signs of blocking coming into the picture down the line.

Do I believe we get a stable -nao/nao? Not until its happening. That's for sure.

The short story is I really don't see a breakdown of cold shots for a while. Certainly no warm-up is being advertised.

no warm up. heart broken.

nice job Mr. Cohen....I hope he becomes the laughing stock of the met community, the cocky incompetent

ecmwf-ens_z500a_nhem_11.png

Given the trends this week, you can't help but like where the gfs is now for the late week event.

Euro had a mega shift last run with a nasty arctic front pushing quick. They have been over done at medium leads all season. If a ns vort can phase into the ss leftover without getting squished in oblivion things can happen. The other way would be for trailing vort to simply do its own thing along a boundary.

My early wag is a big tease and fail. Going for verification scores now cuz I suck at focusing on what could go right.

As I mentioned earlier, I've seen and noted this evolution before except in reverse lol. We went from a phased bomb coastal to eventually what is showing on GFS now. Front running southern jet s/w - northern stream dropping in too late phase. Front runner spins up a low and takes all the dynamics out to sea and ruins everything. This time it seems the GFS is trending towards a phase with each run. 0z almost wants to drop in Arctic jet (nasty cold moving in overhead). Three Streams are close ;-) this def has the potential to be "the one" for this winter.

i posted this in the philly forum as well....i have had quite a few capt and cokes tonight....if i turn my lap top upside down is will that be a south trend????

when it comes to reversing bad trends we've tried it and it doesn't work. sorry dude.

Damn midlo. First of three hooks pressing against skin. Ggem putting pressure...

Ian, compare 12z against 0z on the euro. Wholesale shift. Big flag for who knows.

This porential storn was a miller rAin or se whiff last couple days. I'm more interested now. Mostly because it's going to rain sunday but slightly because I like where things are trending

I mentioned this the other night when staying up to see the EC. I not only wanted to see what it was trending for us on Feb1-2 (big waste of time), but given some of the global runs of late, I was also curious as to what it had for the 5th-6th. The signal had been there on occasion, and was "back" with the 12Z GEM and to some extent the 12Z GFS. Especially if our current system that "wasn't" becomes a pseuo 50-50 low for the next (anchoring that HP to the north that we so sorely need, and won't get, for Sun)

It's almost getting to the point where I wouldn't be shocked to see a separate thread on 2/5-2/6 this time tomorrow.

Almost..

the general shot I see for FEB is the depiction on the CFS2

it has the current mess in SE Canada evolving basically in a cold vortex as depicted in the two links below

because of its size, I think (and hope, of course) that it will act to muscle other short waves around it that will give us a shot or two

it certainly could suck in some of the short waves, but not all

glbz700MonInd1.gif

usT850MonInd1.gif

the general shot I see for FEB is the depiction on the CFS2

it has the current mess in SE Canada evolving basically in a cold vortex as depicted in the two links below

because of its size, I think (and hope, of course) that it will act to muscle other short waves around it that will give us a shot or two

it certainly could suck in some of the short waves, but not all

Daughter Polar Vortex sucking in shortwaves. I like it. ;)

Hasn't helped to this point. Too cold is often too dry around here. I don't get people who chase record cold. Useless.

Not a fan of brutal cold and dry in general. But its better than being in a mild pattern and hoping for snow. If the pattern is good cold/dry air is fine. Worked out last year here where I caught the northern edge of that southern slider. Was 12 degrees and I got 5 inches of perfect fluff.

Not a fan of brutal cold and dry in general. But its better than being in a mild pattern and hoping for snow. If the pattern is good cold/dry air is fine. Worked out last year here where I caught the northern edge of that southern slider. Was 12 degrees and I got 5 inches of perfect fluff.

Pretty much agree. We're not getting snow with mild air. Spring will come soon enough and when we hit 90 for the first time we'll be longing for some cool weather. 

Archived