• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February mid to long range threats discussion

Ji

Early one. It's a big hit with precip. SLP track is a bit dicey.

Euro ensembles jumping on the more suppressed solution vs a cutter/runner. Plenty of acceptable outcomes mixed in there.

Wow yeah that was a pretty big shift from 00z. Really only maybe 6 or 7 cutters/runners in there. if I lived in Richmond, I'd love that run. Not terrible for us either...rather have agreement/a little bit of suppression than half the members showing either (1) a dicey Miller B or (2) a runner with horrible soul crushing cold rain followed by warmer drizzle then a cold front.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in Mainsfield MA for the storm (couple burroughs east of RI)...it was the same where I was. I never got into truly heavy blinding snow. The snow growth was terrible. It just snowed forever & was cold. It was like sand falling from the sky.The winds were sweet, but honestly. I enjoyed my NEMO road trip a helluva lot more.

One of my favorite winter storm of my life was January 26-27 2011. Got like 10" in 3.5 hours. I'll take heavy snow over sand snow that falls for a day 1/2.

Yeah 1/11 was straight up nuts.

so....I was so blown away by two ensemble members (15 day snow totals) from one of those ensembles that can't be shared, that I had to recreate them crudely so they could be shared. Quite a bit of this is from the second storm, day 9ish.

5DwVEyT.jpg

Using the laziest statistics possible, this means that most of the region has nearly a 10% chance of receiving 35" of snow over the next 2 weeks. 

so....I was so blown away by two ensemble members (15 day snow totals) from one of those ensembles that can't be shared, that I had to recreate them crudely so they could be shared. Quite a bit of this is from the second storm, day 9ish.

5DwVEyT.jpg

Using the laziest statistics possible, this means that most of the region has nearly a 10% chance of receiving 35" of snow over the next 2 weeks. 

That's actually not at all what that means.

5DwVEyT.jpg

While I don't think that is what it means, you should post this on twitter. 

5DwVEyT.jpg

Looks like something drawn by BB in 2012

5DwVEyT.jpg

If that goes viral we are doomed.

There's 3 events showing up on the models & ensembles. The first one is the Feb 1-3 clipper like system that could be a solid 1-5" type storm. Then there is a storm a few days later when the baja low comes out. You can see that event on the 192hr GFS. However, there is a 3rd event that Typhoon Tip made a post on in the NE forum. It could coorelate with a nice PNA spike. This 3rd one is showing up on the GFS in the Feb 7-9 range. 

Active pattern showing up. Will we cash in? Idk, but the threats are there. 

It was pretty obvious when, right up front, he said "Using the laziest statistics possible..."

Yeah! I was just trying to help people who can't access the joy of insane illegal throw-me-in-jail snowmaps. But in the future I'll confine that to the banter thread so no one yells at me. Somewhat new to posting on this forum, but have always very much enjoyed it, so sorry if I made a dumb post. Will go back to reading.

If we get a foot of snow I could care less about temps verifying. I'm sure the model is taking snow otg into account. New gfs may have a cold bias with digital snowcover. Let's hope we have a chance to test the possibility

Yeah could be that. Interestingly lows the next night at like 40 degrees warmer and look fine.

Yeah could be that. Interestingly lows the next night at like 40 degrees warmer and look fine.

It's weird getting to know the new gfs. I think I like it but there's no historical data to think "hmm....last time it had something similar...". I spent a lot of time understanding the old one but that means nothing now.

It's easy to assume that those temps have a near zero chance at verifying but getting some sub zeros close to the cities would be pretty cool.

Archived