Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter medium range model pbp I

GaWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a higher resolution. Regular NAM is on a 12km domain while hi-res is 4km. I'm not too optimistic about seeing much snow tomorrow; everything below 900mb is torching. It's possible we get heavy enough rates to cool the column enough to get some snow, but it appears our best chance of seeing snow is on the back end when things are winding down.

Thanks for the info!  It's actually cooler than I expected this am but radar is sad looking...and I know how counting on the back end usually works out this close to the mountains.

Sign me up for what the Euro is showing. Ha wish we could take this one to the bank but being 7-days out and watching the Euro whiff a few times already this year makes me take this snowfall map with a grain of sand.. but at least it's pretty.  Wundermap has a different formula for snowfall though from the Euro and a lot of time it is much more conservative than Weatherbell, so its good to see the flakes showing up.  This clown map put me at around 48" of fantasy snow this year, and its amazing that it all melted with only a few grains of salt ha.   :beer: Heres to tracking another!

16liem8.jpg

Just looked on noaa tuis mornjng and found this. I love the last sentence.

FXUS62 KMHX 261115

AFDMHX

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEWPORT/MOREHEAD CITY NC

615 AM EST MON JAN 26 2015

.SYNOPSIS...

LOW PRESSURE INLAND WILL MOVE NORTH AND WEAKEN TODAY WHILE

ANOTHER AREA OF LOW PRESSURE DEVELOPS OFF OF THE COAST. THE

OFFSHORE LOW WILL DEEPEN RAPIDLY AS IT LIFTS NORTHEAST AWAY

FROM THE AREA TONIGHT AND TUESDAY. HIGH PRESSURE WILL BUILD

IN FROM THE WEST WEDNESDAY...THEN PASS OFFSHORE THURSDAY.

A COLD FRONT WILL MOVE THROUGH THE AREA THURSDAY NIGHT INTO

EARLY FRIDAY.

&&

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...

AS OF 615 AM MONDAY...NO CHANGES TO PREVIOUS THINKING. STILL A

COMPLICATED FORECAST NEXT 36 HOURS AS MILLER TYPE "B"

CYCLOGENESIS TAKES PLACE OFF OF THE NC COAST LATE TODAY AND

TONIGHT. INITIAL BATCH OF PRECIPITATION ASSOCIATED WITH THE INLAND

LOW PRESSURE AREA TO THE NORTHWEST IS MOVING NORTHWARD AND SHOULD

STAY MAINLY TO THE WEST OF THE AREA EARLY THIS MORNING WHILE

ANOTHER AREA OF ONGOING SHOWERS REMAINS OVER THE NEAR SHORE WATERS

AND REMAINS MAINLY EAST OF THE REGION. THE MODELS ARE ALL OVER THE

PLACE WITH THEIR PRECIPITATION FORECASTS FOR THIS AFTERNOON BUT

REGARDLESS OF WHERE PRECIPITATION OCCURS IT WILL BE WARM ENOUGH FOR

RAIN. THINK BEST APPROACH AT THIS TIME IS TO INDICATE JUST A 30%

POP AS MODEL QPF FORECASTS ARE INCONSISTENT AND AMOUNTS ARE VERY

LIGHT. ALTHOUGH SKIES SHOULD REMAIN MOSTLY CLOUDY TODAY THE LOW

LEVEL FLOW IS FORECAST TO BECOME SOUTHWEST TO WEST AND THIS WILL

HELP TO WARM TEMPS INTO THE MIDDLE TO UPPER 50S WITH LOWER 60S NOT

OUT OF THE QUESTION WITH SOME FILTERED SUNSHINE.

&&

.SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH 6 AM TUESDAY/...

AS OF 345 AM MONDAY...THE UPPER TROUGH WILL BECOME NEGATIVELY

TILTED AS IT CROSSES EASTERN NC OVERNIGHT LEADING TO RAPID

DEEPENING OF THE COASTAL LOW AS IT MOVE UP THE EAST COAST. THESE

SERIES OF EVENTS WILL ALLOW COLD AIR TO BE CIRCULATED INTO EASTERN

NC AFTER MIDNIGHT WITH FREEZING LEVELS LOWERING TO UNDER 1000 FT

BY 12Z TUESDAY. THUS ANY REMAINING PRECIPITATION WOULD BE ABLE TO

MIX WITH AND EVENTUALLY CHANGE TO SNOW ESPECIALLY OVER THE

NORTHERN HALF OF THE AREA. AGAIN THE MODELS ARE NOT IN AGREEMENT

WITH QPF PLACEMENT WITH AMOUNTS LESS THAN 0.25" INDICATED. THIS IN

COMBINATION WITH SURFACE TEMPERATURES EXPECTED TO REMAIN ABOVE

FREEZING AND RELATIVELY WARM GROUND TEMPERATURES WILL PRECLUDE ANY

SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATIONS AND IMPACTS. WE COULD SEE A FEW TENTHS

OF AN INCH ACCUMULATION ON GRASSY SURFACES/ELEVATED ROADWAYS. MAY

NEED TO RAISE POPS TO LIKELY AFTER TAKING A CLOSER LOOK AT 00Z ECMWF.

Yep, rain on the 2nd, rain on the 6th! The one positive is more moisture than 0z. , just need to find some cold , like the euro!

Yep, rain on the 2nd, rain on the 6th! The one positive is more moisture than 0z. , just need to find some cold , like the euro!

I thought the cold wasn't going to be a problem with this storm coming.  The cold I thought or read was coming in a couple of days ahead of the superbowl system.  man we can't catch a break at all.

I think the thing to take away from the GFS is that it is starting to trend towards the CMC/Euro solution. Before it was just spinning that cutoff so far west and shooting little bits of energy off into the meat grinder. The 6z run is a descent phase it just phases too early. We need what the Euro is sowing which is that cutoff on the move instead of just spinning there. The worrisome part is that the CMC did this but there was no cold air around. Gotta hope the Euro is seeing the picture clearer. 

I think the thing to take away from the GFS is that it is starting to trend towards the CMC/Euro solution. Before it was just spinning that cutoff so far west and shooting little bits of energy off into the meat grinder. The 6z run is a descent phase it just phases too early. We need what the Euro is sowing which is that cutoff on the move instead of just spinning there. The worrisome part is that the CMC did this but there was no cold air around. Gotta hope the Euro is seeing the picture clearer. 

Isn't the Euro the model of choice.  I think if I've read everything right the Euro is the model that has been doing the best with these storms.  Let's hope the Euro is on to something for Sunday night and Monday.

Isn't the Euro the model of choice.  I think if I've read everything right the Euro is the model that has been doing the best with these storms.  Let's hope the Euro is on to something for Sunday night and Monday.

the problem is we need to run to run consistency and we have not gotten that with a storm so far this year at least showing us snow. Like I said last night we need more than one run to make this a trend.

yeah there was nothing but positive things about the Euro run, it like always will be the first to sniff it out in the 7 day range and it will take another day or two for the other models to finally cave to the Euro.....I wouldnt be getting my hopes up just yet but i the Euro holds serve and keeps the storm and trends colder/better at all then it will be game on....

Hey Batman,

I don't know if you saw this addition I made to that post:

"By the way, the way I look at this strong storm assuming it goes ahead and occurs, it was always going to happen. It is just that the models had no idea about it til the last couple of days. Everything is weather is essentially predetermined to occur assuming no human intervention. It is just that the models aren't smart enough to know everything in advance. They have to catch on...it isn't that the future wx is changing. It is the models catching on and, therefore, changing their projections to match what had already been predetermined to occur."

Great point you made last night. What is going to happen is going to happen. It is just the models understanding of what is going to happen that can have a great deal of fluctuation. Especially when there is a high impact system in the pattern. The problem is with us when we put too much weight and worry into what the models are saying every 6 hours on something several days down the road. Maybe there is something decent for us down the road and we can get a more clear picture of it by mid week.

How did the EPS look?  Did it have a postive trend as well?

The mean doubled from ~1" to a little over 2" for us and most of N NC.  Looks like around a third to a half of the members show a 2"+ event at GSO.  There's a couple blockbuster members, but most members are not as wet as the operational (most snowy members are 2-8").  Not bad at this range, TBH.  We'll see.  It'll probably lose it at 12z...

Yeah saw that.  Thought the EURO ENS look pretty good with less of SW cuttoff of death and decent blocking.  Looks to open up a bit more in the SW.  If we're going to see it, I think we're going to see it today or tomorrow on the EURO.  If we can get it to bite in the next two days maybe something could work out.  GFS can come late to the party around Thursday for all I care.  Doubt it but hopeful with the 0Z run.

Why's the site running so slow today?

Archived