Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter medium range model pbp I

GaWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the hires NAM a different model (different logic) or is it just higher definition on the output?  Simulated reflectivity seems show decent returns tomorrow in NW NC and SWVA but that seems to not agree with the placement on the regular NAM.

Just a higher resolution. Regular NAM is on a 12km domain while hi-res is 4km. I'm not too optimistic about seeing much snow tomorrow; everything below 900mb is torching. It's possible we get heavy enough rates to cool the column enough to get some snow, but it appears our best chance of seeing snow is on the back end when things are winding down.

The model war/worries is at an epic pitch in the nyc thread. it's almost worth staying up and watching pbp at 1.00 when the euro rolls out. Sorry this is off topic, but as much as we watch models, this is a heavy weight champion cage fight , even though it's over a micro back yard climate. This back yard has 7 million peeps in it. Entertainment value is a 10 I promise.

The model war/worries is at an epic pitch in the nyc thread. it's almost worth staying up and watching pbp at 1.00 when the euro rolls out. Sorry this is off topic, but as much as we watch models, this is a heavy weight champion cage fight , even though it's over a micro back yard climate. This back yard has 7 million peeps in it. Entertainment value is a 10 I promise.

Yeah, the general consensus from tonight's 00z model runs for NYC is about 8-12" while the 12z Euro showed 24-36"...  I think the Euro will probably fold, but we'll see.

The NWS also threw out 24-36" maps earlier, which aren't looking too good at the moment for the NYC metro.

Whatever the case, the SNE is going to get pummeled.  Someone might get 40" and widespread 18"+ looks likely.

Yeah, there is some low off the SC coast, but after that , looks like a glorified cold front passage, there is a small bit of ice/snow, for the usual suspects, GSO, Winston, Roxboro. The only improvement was moisture, those blockbuster 1020 highs, not really much help! About 4 or 5 clippers hit the NE again, in case somebody up there only gets a foot! :(

I've seen it like that here before, too.  Downtown High Point gets 16".  Greensboro gets 6".  That's like 10 miles or so.

accum.20040227.gif

I would have been on the wrong side of that line, too.  Thank God I didn't live here then. :yikes:

I was right under the 20.  Best storm for me since I moved to this area. Several hours of lightning and thunder.

Yep, I bet if SJ or Jon post the Euro/EPS EPO telecon model output if will show it continually try and take it negative and fail. I just checked this months EPO data and its been positive for 10 days or so now. And all modeling is backing off on taking it strongly negative.

That's why I don't think it's going to snow, countless model runs spitting out nice looking patterns that don't verify. The 7-8 day EPS look is hanging on by a thread. If this fails and the pattern reshuffles it might be after Feb 10th before it tries for another favorable look. #PDOFail

In saying this, all of the main anomalous height players are on the field & I give the 6-10 day synoptic pattern a solid A/A- for a Miller B/overrunning precursor. The devil is in the details of course...

N-hem-500mb-NC-Miller-BCAD-Events.jpg

gfs-ens_z500a5d_nhem_2.png

Archived