• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter medium range model pbp I

GaWx

I like the look of the gfs a lot. The key is just getting this s/w to eject out on time, not allowing the hp to build in too early, as it will squash the storm like the euro is showing. It's hopefully a bit of the euro model bias holding the s/w back in the southwest too long in the LR. If you inspect the GFS around hr 180, the CAD front is already starting to infiltrate. It truncates around 192 and the model loses this feature. If you look at the layered cold from NC up to SE Canada, along with the building HP, this screams ice/snow threat. 

Side note, the system coming in monday is really interesting too and has trended more closed off/negative. I would keep an eye on that.

Now that the parallel GFS has taken over, I didn't think it truncated at 192 hrs but more out to 240 or something?

BTW, agree that the surface is a little off given the amt of high pressure in place.  That look at 500mb is a class overrunning setup.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that the parallel GFS has taken over, I didn't think it truncated at 192 hrs but more out to 240 or something?

BTW, agree that the surface is a little off given the amt of high pressure in place.  That look at 500mb is a class overrunning setup.

hmm I guess accuweather hasn't updated their model yet. 

While we try and manufacture a storm in fantasy land range, the new models give the NE a K-U blackbuster. Doh!

The new ECMWF is rolling in, from early returns it will probably not be much like the GFS

Nope!   Wow that's quite a blizzard.

I like the look of the gfs a lot. The key is just getting this s/w to eject out on time, not allowing the hp to build in too early, as it will squash the storm like the euro is showing. It's hopefully a bit of the euro model bias holding the s/w back in the southwest too long in the LR. If you inspect the GFS around hr 180, the CAD front is already starting to infiltrate. It truncates around 192 and the model loses this feature. If you look at the layered cold from NC up to SE Canada, along with the building HP, this screams ice/snow threat. 

Side note, the system coming in monday is really interesting too and has trended more closed off/negative. I would keep an eye on that.

I'm glad to see someone paying attention to that system seem like it's getting stronger every run.

While we try and manufacture a storm in fantasy land range, the new models give the NE a K-U blockbuster. Doh

The new ECMWF is rolling in, from early returns it will probably not be much like the GFS

Am I crazy or should the peeps in NC not be pumped about the moisture that wraps around and gets thrown back?

Forgive me but why is that good for anyone outside the mountains for wintry precip??

it allows the cold air to travel better across the snowpack up north. It would help keep moderation of air masses from the north to a minimum and it would help the cad areas a lot also to help keep the cold air cold to the north instead of moderating.

Archived