Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Winter medium range model pbp I

GaWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why's the site running so slow today?

It looks to me like their provider/developer(s) are still working on things.  For example, I usually run my browser with javascript disabled.  Normally the only thing that prevents me from doing on this site's forum is all the HTML extra goodies in posting replies.  However, a little while ago, I got a message that I needed to enable javascript for a DDOS check, and access was blocked until I did just that.  I've also intermittently gotten "americanwx.com is down" messages from the website hosting company today so their traffic is still through the roof I'd guess.

I don't think they are actually being maliciously DDOS'ed, I think they are just getting pounded by people up north (and people down here who are fretting over the 2/2 potential, but more the northerners than us I'm sure).  But they seem to be taking steps to shore up the site a little better anyway.

I don't know, I think I would like to see a more organized system instead of that strung out mess at the surface on the 12z.

I am talking in a very general sense (i.e. something much closer to the Euro from last night).  Overrunning from a weak low traversing the gulf coast is likely the best way to hit many on our board, but we have to have a solution that includes more high pressure coming down from the north(again, like the euro from last night) and no low pressure in the lakes.

It looks to me like their provider/developer(s) are still working on things.  For example, I usually run my browser with javascript disabled.  Normally the only thing that prevents me from doing on this site's forum is all the HTML extra goodies in posting replies.  However, a little while ago, I got a message that I needed to enable javascript for a DDOS check, and access was blocked until I did just that.  I've also intermittently gotten "americanwx.com is down" messages from the website hosting company today so their traffic is still through the roof I'd guess.

I don't think they are actually being maliciously DDOS'ed, I think they are just getting pounded by people up north (and people down here who are fretting over the 2/2 potential, but more the northerners than us I'm sure).  But they seem to be taking steps to shore up the site a little better anyway.

I've never had any malicious javascript in all the years I've done computer work (26+). Java yes. 

You miss out on a lot of functionality if javascript is disabled. 

GFS is splitting the northern stream energy at hr132.  Once piece heads to the 4 corners, which is fine.  The other piece heads toward Iowa and Wisconsin, which is not fine - that produces the Great Lakes low and warming in the SE.  Need that other northern energy to dig south to Kansas to keep the heights from rising over the SE / keep from warming.  Regardless of all that, the high pressure on the front in that moves in from hr84 to hr132 has to be impressively cold...lot of needs here.

Board didn't crash due to overload, might be getting DDoS'd but I don't know....maybe Wow knows :) This was from the 24th...

American Wx ‏@AmericanWx

We’re aware of the issue with the site and we’re working on it. Board did not crash due to overload. Having outside diagnostics done.

12z GFS trending the sTJ low east and more of a -EPO ridge again, plus a -NAO.  This is the ticket with the lingering energy sitting over the SW.

It had this look at the end of last week before losing it over the weekend.  It looks as if it's trending back towards that.  If so I wouldn't be surprised for the model to show a possible storm around 2/6.

GFS is splitting the northern stream energy at hr132. Once piece heads to the 4 corners, which is fine. The other piece heads toward Iowa and Wisconsin, which is not fine - that produces the Great Lakes low and warming in the SE. Need that other northern energy to dig south to Kansas to keep the heights from rising over the SE / keep from warming. Regardless of all that, the high pressure on the front in that moves in from hr84 to hr132 has to be impressively cold...lot of needs here.

The euro has a different solution ( 00z ) it's almost like the cold caught the storm . Timing was everything cause it was not very cold out front on the 00z euro

Still wonder how much effect a fat coat of snow will have to our North and Northeast?

Heavy snowpack just to the north can be a difference maker. I posted last night that I am paying attention to how the new GFS does compared to other modeling with the NE Blizzard since its the first test of a big time east coast event. It just lost an ally as the 12Z NAM shifted west and now has very heavy snow totals back into NYC while 12Z GFS remains relatively anemic there and further east. Euro has been consistent in giving NYC some really heavy stuff. 

Either the GFS will score a big coup or it will be the same crap model in regards to big time events now just in HD.

GFS is splitting the northern stream energy at hr132.  Once piece heads to the 4 corners, which is fine.  The other piece heads toward Iowa and Wisconsin, which is not fine - that produces the Great Lakes low and warming in the SE.  Need that other northern energy to dig south to Kansas to keep the heights from rising over the SE / keep from warming.  Regardless of all that, the high pressure on the front in that moves in from hr84 to hr132 has to be impressively cold...lot of needs here.

Good catch grit...I didn't even notice the spit of energy.

I've never had any malicious javascript in all the years I've done computer work (26+). Java yes. 

You miss out on a lot of functionality if javascript is disabled. 

I run NoScript, which blocks javascript, Java, Flash, etc. from running when I visit a site unless I explicitly permit that site.  Very few sites are on my permanently allowed list.  Many other sites, including this one, I just temporarily allow if I need the functionality.

I think this is first HUGE test, for the new GFS.  I mean, the differences are still pretty big, from what I can tell with this storm *with the euro* about to climb the coast.  I see that the NAM has come toward the EURO solution.  GFS still looks clueless in its new debut.  Just my .02 right now.

So, it's the day of the storm for NYC.  The NAM shows a million inches of snow.  The Euro is 20-30".  Meanwhile, the GFS, GGEM, and RGEM show significantly less (10-12" or so).  Fun stuff up there.

EDIT: Actually, the GGEM is probably more like 7-10". :yikes:

Wow with the GGEM. That is a huge discrepancy for an event that is within 24 hours. If this were 15years ago I would say book the higher totals ala the ETA( now theNAM)/EURO rule. :)

So, it's the day of the storm for NYC.  The NAM shows a million inches of snow.  The Euro is 20-30".  Meanwhile, the GFS, GGEM, and RGEM show significantly less (10-12" or so).  Fun stuff up there.

EDIT: Actually, the GGEM is probably more like 7-10". :yikes:

Talk about cliff jumping.....if the cutoff sets up just to the east of NYC and they get less than 7 to 10", there's going to be some posters on the NYC/Middle Atl. forum that may not psychologically make it through this storm :lmao: .  It will be must see over there if that happens.

- Buck

Heavy snowpack just to the north can be a difference maker. I posted last night that I am paying attention to how the new GFS does compared to other modeling with the NE Blizzard since its the first test of a big time east coast event. It just lost an ally as the 12Z NAM shifted west and now has very heavy snow totals back into NYC while 12Z GFS remains relatively anemic there and further east. Euro has been consistent in giving NYC some really heavy stuff. 

Either the GFS will score a big coup or it will be the same crap model in regards to big time events now just in HD.

Good post. If there is a nice heavy snow pack to our NE I think in this setup a weak high such as a 1024 could create enough cold air to give us some sleet or ZR ...if that snow pack is in place. A 1028 or 1036 we would def. be in business. Long story short models are likely to change as we go into Wed and Thurs. 

CMC looks a lot like the GFS. No GL low really and a 1040 high dropping into MT but we still end up with just a cold rain. 

The CMC pops a weak low cutting across Ga. w/ lots of precip for the SE.  If we could get that slp a lttle further to the south and east it might be better.

Good post. If there is a nice heavy snow pack to our NE I think in this setup a weak high such as a 1024 could create enough cold air to give us some sleet or ZR ...if that snow pack is in place. A 1028 or 1036 we would def. be in business. Long story short models are likely to change as we go into Wed and Thurs. 

I wonder if WE can get a nice out of the blue blizzard in the SE once in a while!

Archived