joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Annual Grinch Storm: Christmas Cataclysm

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it's just me looking for snow all of the time, but it always seems like the potential snow storms 200 hours out end up going in the crapper, but the RAIN storms, that's a different story, as the seem to come to fruition more times than not in some form or another.  Wasn't this rainer in the scope 2 weeks ago, and has been holding course since the beginning?

Maybe it's just me looking for snow all of the time, but it always seems like the potential snow storms 200 hours out end up going in the crapper, but the RAIN storms, that's a different story, as the seem to come to fruition more times than not in some form or another.  Wasn't this rainer in the scope 2 weeks ago, and has been holding course since the beginning?

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/45016-201415-winter-banter-and-general-observations/?p=3199398

I had this same question in another thread.

I had this same question in another thread.

It's all perception on this board. A snowstorm can only trend one way, into the crapper. A rainstorm can also only trend one way, towards more snow.

It's an overly simplistic view, but in practice it's true. Nobody remembers the modeled rainer than turns blue bomb, because everyone is too busy high fiving themselves over the snow storm. Everybody remembers the day 10 HECS that the GFS took away by cutting to MSP.

It's all perception on this board. A snowstorm can only trend one way, into the crapper. A rainstorm can also only trend one way, towards more snow.

It's an overly simplistic view, but in practice it's true. Nobody remembers the modeled rainer than turns blue bomb, because everyone is too busy high fiving themselves over the snow storm. Everybody remembers the day 10 HECS that the GFS took away by cutting to MSP.

Old (pseudo) Chinese proverb: Do right one hundred times, not hear of it once; do wrong once, hear of it one hundred times.

My 8" very dense (prob. 3"+ LE) snowpack will be tough to melt, but the 3" of mid-40s RA discussed in GYX's latest AFD would likely take most of it.  Were that to verify, we'd have some interesting streamflows, from small brooks to main-stem rivers.  Wouldn't approach 1987 but might be the biggest flow since then.  Still outside 100 hr, plenty of time for change.

Pretty impressive disagreement between the GFS/EURO re rainfall totals, new 12z GFS makes it a typical(We see a couple of them every winter really) 1-2" rainstorm with less to the west while the 0z EURO has widespread 3"+ totals and has 1" all the way back to close to BUF.

Hope that the GFS is right because 3" of rain would be a mess for NNE both flood related and for ski resorts, but likely it's got it's usual dry bias going again. 0z Canadian is a compromise between the two, but much closer to the EURO than GFS.

Pretty impressive disagreement between the GFS/EURO re rainfall totals, new 12z GFS makes it a typical(We see a couple of them every winter really) 1-2" rainstorm with less to the west while the 0z EURO has widespread 3"+ totals and has 1" all the way back to close to BUF.

Hope that the GFS is right because 3" of rain would be a mess for NNE both flood related and for ski resorts, but likely it's got it's usual dry bias going again. 0z Canadian is a compromise between the two, but much closer to the EURO than GFS.

A solution closer towards the Euro is probably more likely than the GFS IMO.  The synoptics of this system really favor a tremendous amount of lift and with the system undergoing such rapid deepening to our west we will really see the LLJ crank.  The LLJ coming in off the Atlantic at >50 knots is going to yield a tremendous amount of moisture streaming into the system and with a flux of much warmer and higher dewpoint air, the air is going to be capable of holding a pretty good deal of moisture.  I wouldn't be shocked if some locations exceed 5'' of rainfall.  

A solution closer towards the Euro is probably more likely than the GFS IMO.  The synoptics of this system really favor a tremendous amount of lift and with the system undergoing such rapid deepening to our west we will really see the LLJ crank.  The LLJ coming in off the Atlantic at >50 knots is going to yield a tremendous amount of moisture streaming into the system and with a flux of much warmer and higher dewpoint air, the air is going to be capable of holding a pretty good deal of moisture.  I wouldn't be shocked if some locations exceed 5'' of rainfall.  

Unfortunately, I agree with you completely. My only hope is that Whiteface is far enough west to avoid the worst of the rains, but anyway you slice it it's ugly. Have to hope for a few inches of backend/upslope to kickstart the recovery efforts.

Unfortunately, I agree with you completely. My only hope is that Whiteface is far enough west to avoid the worst of the rains, but anyway you slice it it's ugly. Have to hope for a few inches of backend/upslope to kickstart the recovery efforts.

It will be interesting to really see where the axis of the heaviest rains sets up.  I would think we would be looking at several different maximums taking into account upslope effect and such.  

The para depiction is very euro esque today at 12Z. Or at least 0Z euro esque.

Is the Para running again? I heard it was down for maintenance after the 12z run yesterday and it was expected to be out through the weekend, maybe you're looking at yesterdays 12z run? Not seeing it updated on any of the sources I use.

It will be interesting to really see where the axis of the heaviest rains sets up.  I would think we would be looking at several different maximums taking into account upslope effect and such.  

I think we're going to see the highest totals in NNH/NME in the Wildcat-SR-Sugarloaf corridor, that's really been ground zero on modeling for the heaviest rains. There will also be a western max somewhere I think, but whether that's in the Greens or Adirondacks I'm not sure, depends on how much of the system is able to "transfer"(Not really a traditional transfer so that's why it's in quotes) over to the coastal part of it, the more of it transfers, the further east that max is I think. 

Archived