• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 9-10 Coastal Storm Threat

Zelocita Weather

Yes but western Passaic Sussex into orange county make sense as the west east dividing line.

Nothing really modeled east of there. So that map makes sense.

It has more than just winter weather advisories, what about the river flooding potential? Flood watches in place. Coastal Flooding possible too.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The air temperature is well into the 40s over the ocean-that's all that matters. That air's headed for us-the snow flurries today are warm advection from the ocean.

no I totally understand that I'm just stating the fact that our temperatures were supposed to rise already to at least upper 30's. Now that we have some type of CAD setup it could be horrible for anyone outside of the coast with heavy freezing rain tonight. Honestly though, upton already busted as parts of Long Island and coastal New Jersey received snow from ocean effect and that wasn't even mentioned. I suspect there will be more surprises with this storm! I don't think it'll only be rain!

I brought that up on this forum. It looked unbelievable and was left there for a very long time (haven't noticed if it's still there). Between the March 2010 nor'easter, Irene, Sandy and the nor'easter after Sandy, there shouldn't be a ridiculous amount of tree damage on the south shore with this storm as many of the weaker or dying trees have already fallen.

You can see in this video from Wantagh near Ottos Deli  how a number of them probably came down in quick bursts.

925mb winds are tremendous, 50-60kts over eastern NJ/NYC and a bit less everywhere else. I would think in this setup a good percentage would transfer down to the surface given the tremendous dynamics.  

The NWS reasoning:  HIGH WIND WATCH WAS CONVECTED TO AN ADVISORY AS LATEST PROFILES

SUGGEST THAT 50+ KT REMAIN ELEVATED IN THE MODERATELY STABLE

BOUNDARY LAYER. HAVE INCLUDED NYC METRO FOR THE WINDS ON THE

BRIDGES.

no I totally understand that I'm just stating the fact that our temperatures were supposed to rise already to at least upper 30's. Now that we have some type of CAD setup it could be horrible for anyone outside of the coast with heavy freezing rain tonight. Honestly though, upton already busted as parts of Long Island and coastal New Jersey received snow from ocean effect and that wasn't even mentioned. I suspect there will be more surprises with this storm! I don't think it'll only be rain!

The cold air will not hang on in this set up whatsoever. The best chance you have to see any snow falling is after the storm occludes, stalls and drifts around. Even then it will most likely not accumulate (if it does snow at all).

i finally got to see euro temp data and while the mid level low track and precip depictions are better for snow, the boundary layer is torched. most of NJ is in the 40's wed afternoon

The high res Euro is mostly around 37F at 18z for places like KEWR. Of course it's warmer as you get closer to Long Island.

You can see in this video from Wantagh near Ottos Deli how a number of them probably came down in quick bursts.

Wow those people are annoying.

Based on daylight that was pretty early during sandy before the period of strongest winds.

That area is predominantly oaks and thus they had there leaves still and took a major hit.

We don't have leaves to worry about right now. I really think tree damage will be very minimal. Even if we do see 60+ gusts.

Wow those people are annoying.

Based on daylight that was pretty early during sandy before the period of strongest winds.

That area is predominantly oaks and thus they had there leaves still and took a major hit.

We don't have leaves to worry about right now. I really think tree damage will be very minimal. Even if we do see 60+ gusts.

My friend growing up lived a few blocks from John Street where that was shot. 

Otto's German potato salad, cole slaw and custard were almost a staples for me.

I agree. All those storms culled the weakest trees and this storm is happening after all the leaves

have already fallen.

People are going to start to be banned left and right if the talk doesn't stay on topic, relevant, and within the boundaries of the discussion. I try to keep it really loose and chill around here but I've just about had it. 

+1 I am on several forums (well over 15) for various things I like in life, and this is BY FAR the most badgering/trolling/arguing forum I am on.

But I really love this forum for the knowledge I gain and the Meteo insight I receive from our Pros and quality knowledgeable posters.

a major storm is here and there is clearly a dearth of professional mets in this thread. Let me suggest to the mods that we may ultimately be better off with a professional Mets only thread for each storm. The weenies all they want in one thread and those of us here to learn can gain from the professional thread

Someone please explain if Nor'easters are mostly related to winter storms? Do Noreasters happen more during summer or winter? Thank you.

A so called "Nor'easter" is a good deal more common during the cold season (November thru April) than during the warm season (May thru October).  This is because the sharp thermal contrasts necessary to produce mid latitude cyclogenesis are not present during the warmer parts of the year.  For example, during July, it is not uncommon for it to be cooler in Florida than in Manitoba as there is a far more uniform distribution of temperature across the North American continent during the summer.  This is not surprising...as the length of the day featuring daylight actually increases as one heads towards the North Pole from the spring equinox to the autumnal equinox.  However, during the period from September 21st thru March 21st, daylight hours fall off quickly as one heads northbound; and, as one would expect, it gets quite a bit colder on average.  Differences in temperature will invariably lead to differences in pressure...both at the surface & aloft...and it is these contrasts that are absolutely elemental in driving our weather...often resulting in what we would typically call a mid latitude cyclone or area of low pressure.  If the storm forms near the East Coast and heads northeastward...ultimately gaining sufficient barometric depth to generate powerful winds and copious amounts of rain & snow while deepening in the coastal waters...it may ultimately gain recognition as a "Nor'easter". 

Looks to be a period of snow coming through the NYC overnight into early Thursday morning. Maybe a dusting?

You better call Upton and let them know they have no mention of that in their forecast - I can see some mixture at the start but would be surprised if there was a dusting in the city since the temps are above freezing now

http://kamala.cod.edu/nj/latest.asus41.OKX.KOKX.html

A so called "Nor'easter" is a good deal more common during the cold season (November thru April) than during the warm season (May thru October). This is because the sharp thermal contrasts necessary to produce mid latitude cyclogenesis are not present during the warmer parts of the year. For example, during July, it is not uncommon for it to be cooler in Florida than in Manitoba as there is a far more uniform distribution of temperature across the North American continent during the summer. This is not surprising...as the length of the day featuring daylight actually increases as one heads towards the North Pole from the spring equinox to the autumnal equinox. However, during the period from September 21st thru March 21st, daylight hours fall off quickly as one heads northbound; and, as one would expect, it gets quite a bit colder on average. Differences in temperature will invariably lead to differences in pressure...both at the surface & aloft...and it is these contrasts that are absolutely elemental in driving our weather...often resulting in what we would typically call a mid latitude cyclone or area of low pressure. If the storm forms near the East Coast and heads northeastward...ultimately gaining sufficient barometric depth to generate powerful winds and copious amounts of rain & snow while deepening in the coastal waters...it may ultimately gain recognition as a "Nor'easter".

Thats somewhat wrong. A Nor Easter is a storm that takes a track where the wind direction on land is from the northeast. It is more so related to wind direction. Not the direction the storm travels

Archived