joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 9-10 Coastal Storm Threat

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The model suite is all slowly caving to the Euro's idea of the CCB over the NYC/NJ/EPA area tomorrow afternoon and night.

None of the NCEP suite had that even as recent as yesterday.

We have seen many situations where ULLs after intense coastals surprise areas.

Correct. 1-2" over to Nassau County and 2-4" for NNJ west of the Parkway.

And these are off the conservative SV maps.

SVs snow map algorithms are far superior to any other source.

During the T-day storm, the SV maps (inside of 72 hours) NEVER had accumulating snow for NYC or east, while the terrible wxbell and other sources did several times.

I don't see big snows because the BL is going to be borderline and I don't see a deformation or CCB strong enough at this time at least to considerably cool the surface to 31-32...if a surprise heavy area develops its possible.

It's not really from CCB or deformation. It's due to instability from the closed and stalled 500mb ULL over the area.

I guess we'll see how it all plays out tomorrow night.

I highly doubt that much. Surface too warm until tomorrow night

I think you may be surprised, however it may be close for areas immediately around NYC. BL temps are already cooler than modeled and won't get much higher today. Once the snow moves in with cold 850's overhead, it won't take much to cool the column. The usually conservative SV snow map is quite telling. If we can get some of the dynamics advertised on some of the individual 9z SREF members (IsentropicLift posted above), we are game.

I think you may be surprised, however it may be close for areas immediately around NYC. BL temps are already cooler than modeled and won't get much higher today. Once the snow moves in with cold 850's overhead, it won't take much to cool the column. The usually conservative SV snow map is quite telling. If we can get some of the dynamics advertised on some of the individual 9z SREF members (IsentropicLift posted above), we are game.

It just almost never works out as modeled. If we get something I'll be happy I'm just not getting my hopes up

Well I guess if you were expecting some massive CCB over the area tomorrow, then yes, meh. I personally think tomorrow will over perform in spots.

I never was expecting that.  My posts yesterday said as much.  Define "spots"... I don't think the CP gets anything to accumulate save perhaps a transient coating in a heavier burst.  See SnowG's post above, that's been my expectation the entire time.

I don't see big snows because the BL is going to be borderline and I don't see a deformation or CCB strong enough at this time at least to considerably cool the surface to 31-32...if a surprise heavy area develops its possible.

BL is cooler today than modeled, and I think it will be hovering 1-2 degrees cooler than modeled tomorrow night. 33/34 for most of the area. Any snow will be sufficient to cool the column and having it at nighttime, though not a major factor in late December, can't hurt.

Here's Albany's take on any ULL-driven snowfall...

THE 500 HPA LOW WILL BECOME CUTOFF OVER THE DELMARVA
AREA. AS A RESULT...SOME ADDITIONAL ON AND OFF PRECIP WILL OCCUR
OVERNIGHT DUE TO THE PVA/CYCLONIC FLOW...BUT IT WILL NOT BE
STEADY OR HEAVY. THERE WILL STILL BE SOME ABOVE FREEZING TEMPS
ALOFT...AND THERE MAY EVEN BE A LACK OF ICE NUCLEI IN THE
CLOUDS...AS THE BEST DEEPER AND COLDER CLOUD TOPS SHIFT AWAY FROM
THE AREA. BECAUSE OF THIS...SOME FREEZING RAIN/DRIZZLE MAY
OCCUR...ALONG WITH SOME BURSTS OF SNOW/RAIN/SLEET AS WELL. TEMPS
LOOK TO HOLD STEADY IN THE LOW TO MIDDLE 30S ACROSS THE ENTIRE
REGION.

"meh" indeed.

THE RGEM continues to waffle...I think it may be settling on a solution though...its shifted East again...now HPN/DXR are basically the higher accumulations...

Because it's waffling, it cannot be settling on a solution, but a definite shift NE there. The GFS continues the backend focus on EPA, NNJ and NYC.

THE RGEM continues to waffle...I think it may be settling on a solution though...its shifted East again...now HPN/DXR are basically the higher accumulations...

SN_000-048_0000.gif

NYC is near the 5mm shade as well.

That would be pretty solid after all this torturous rain.

The Wind Advisory for NYC metro and SW CT has been extended to 7pm tonight:

AS FOR WINDS...STILL LOOKING AT BOUNDARY LAYER WINDS ALONG THE
COAST INCREASING TO 45-50 KT THROUGH MID AFTERNOON...THEN
ACTUALLY PIVOTING OVER THE NYC METRO INTO SW CT LATE THIS
AFTERNOON/EARLY EVE. BASED ON THE STABILITY OF THIS LAYER AND HOW
MUCH DOWNWARD MOMENTUM CAN BE TRANSPORTED DOWN TO THE SURFACE. AN
ISOLATED 50 KT/58 MPH IS NOT OUT OF THE QUESTION THROUGH MID
AFTERNOON...BUT WIND ADVISORY WINDS ARE MORE LIKELY WITH GUSTS OF
45 TO 50 MPH. THE MOST LIKELY TIME IS FROM LATE MORNING INTO MID
AFTERNOON. FOR LATE THIS AFTERNOON/EARLY EVE AS LLJ ORIENTS NE/SW
OVER NYC METRO INTO SW CT...LAPSE RATES STEEPEN A BIT WHICH SHOULD
ALLOW FOR POTENTIAL GUSTS TO 35 TO 45 MPH THROUGH AROUND 00Z FOR
NEAR COASTAL AREAS. HAVE EXTENDED WIND ADVISORY THERE UNTIL 00Z.

Archived