joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 9-10 Coastal Storm Threat

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the system doesn't stall south of Long Island you're going to have a major fail by the Euro inside of 24 hours which is almost unheard of, so I'll believe it when I see it.

As far as what happens tomorrow, it's going to be very difficult for the modeling to get a good handle on it until later tonight, and I would side with the higher resolution models like the Euro, HRRR, RGEM and RAP.

The surface low is definitly further southeast than what models were showing in the days leading up the storm, and that probably bodes well for the snow chances tomorrow as it looked as if the snows would be confined to our West.

In any event, it has a long way to go before reaching Long Island, and that band over the city and NE NJ is pivoting west nicely.

pchg.gif?1418140917252

The surface low is definitly further southeast than what models were showing in the days leading up the storm, and that probably bodes well for the snow chances tomorrow as it looked as if the snows would be confined to our West.

In any event, it has a long way to go before reaching Long Island, and that band over the city and NE NJ is pivoting west nicely.

pchg.gif?1418140917252

That map is from 10am.. Its north of that position now and moving full speed ahead northward. Lets hope it decides to put on the brakes

That map is from 10am.. Its north of that position now and moving full speed ahead northward. Lets hope it decides to put on the brakes

Check radar loop....slowing down considerably last 2-3 frames. Stall is beginning.

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=37.7&lon=-92.7&zoom=4&tl.play=1&tl.spd=2&tl.dur=1&rad=1&wxsn=0&svr=0&cams=0&sat=0&riv=0&mm=0&hur=0

Isn't trying to predict the CCB almost like trying to figure out where a line of storms is going to end up? How many times do the short term models show a nice line moving through and then it never happens? I realize its not the same thing but I feel like we've been burned so many times, regardless of which models have it

Isn't trying to predict the CCB almost like trying to figure out where a line of storms is going to end up? How many times do the short term models show a nice line moving through and then it never happens? I realize its not the same thing but I feel like we've been burned so many times, regardless of which models have it

Its easy in some events, but this storm is ultimately so discombobulated by tomorrow that its tough to say where it will be...its also very hard to pinpoint the southern end of them which is where the area will be located...its much easier to predict the portion west and northwest of the upper lows, the southwest side is hard.

Yes. It's going to become easier as the storm slows down and stalls, which it is beginning to do now.

That dry slot is really winning out so far West of the GSP. I wonder if we'll see the axis of heavier rain push west as the low occludes and moves closer to the coast or if the mid-level dry air will be too much to overcome. The latest HRRR maintains activity through at least 01z, especially west of the city.

Euro is big today. The best model had a solid 1-4" of snow for the area under the CCB at 0z. If that shows up again on the 12z run, and in the same general area, then it's likely game time.

I agree I would also expect the unexpected to continue with this storm as there have been a few busts with it already here is the radar big dry slot as I mentioned a couple of days ago - I also mentioned a few surprises but no one was taking that seriously either also whoever picked the 10th or 11th in the snowfall contest should pay attention 

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?zoommode=pan&prevzoom=zoom&num=6&frame=0&delay=15&scale=1.000&noclutter=0&ID=DIX&type=N0R&showstorms=0&lat=0&lon=0&label=you&map.x=400&map.y=240&scale=1.000&centerx=400&centery=240&showlabels=1&rainsnow=0&lightning=0&lerror=20&num_stns_min=2&num_stns_max=9999&avg_off=9999&smooth=0

I agree I would also expect the unexpected to continue with this storm as there have been a few busts with it already here is the radar big dry slot as I mentioned a couple of days ago - I also mentioned a few surprises but no one was taking that seriously either

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?zoommode=pan&prevzoom=zoom&num=6&frame=0&delay=15&scale=1.000&noclutter=0&ID=DIX&type=N0R&showstorms=0&lat=0&lon=0&label=you&map.x=400&map.y=240&scale=1.000&centerx=400&centery=240&showlabels=1&rainsnow=0&lightning=0&lerror=20&num_stns_min=2&num_stns_max=9999&avg_off=9999&smooth=0

I doubt anyone is surprised by that dry slot, it's been on the modeling for days now. I think the question is, will the low stall before it gets too far North.

That dry slot is really winning out so far West of the GSP. I wonder if we'll see the axis of heavier rain push west as the low occludes and moves closer to the coast or if the mid-level dry air will be too much to overcome. The latest HRRR maintains activity through at least 01z, especially west of the city.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?product=N0R&rid=DIX&loop=yes    You can see the pivot starting .

Precip is starting to building  on its way SW towards Trenton , Scranton and it re emerging down the GSP in CNJ . 

I agree I would also expect the unexpected to continue with this storm as there have been a few busts with it already here is the radar big dry slot as I mentioned a couple of days ago - I also mentioned a few surprises but no one was taking that seriously either also whoever picked the 10th or 11th in the snowfall contest should pay attention 

What busts? You're talking about some ocean effect snow? I don't really consider that major plus no storm behaves 100% as modeled

I doubt anyone is surprised by that dry slot, it's been on the modeling for days now. I think the question is, will the low stall before it gets too far North.

No way.

Philly has only received .57" of total rain.

No model had such a pronounced dry slot.

No way.

Philly has only received .57" of total rain.

No model had such a pronounced dry slot.

Maybe it's because all you did was look at QPF, the dry slot at 700mb was very pronounced.

Here is the 12/8/14 18z GFS valid at 18z today which shows all the drying at 700mb, it's going to end up verifying just a tick too far East.

gfs_namer_024_700_rh_ht.gif

The dryslot tends to get overlooked by forecaters on these events...its rare that a low coming up the East Coast won't have a dry slot....especially if its not a Miller B and has type to get well deveoped...usually somewhere between the 700mb low center and the surface low is where it ends up....its hard to exactly place it though and models often don't see it well.

The dryslot tends to get overlooked by forecaters on these events...its rare that a low coming up the East Coast won't have a dry slot....especially if its not a Miller B and has type to get well deveoped...usually somewhere between the 700mb low center and the surface low is where it ends up....its hard to exactly place it though and models often don't see it well.

Whenever you have the mid-level lows closing off overhead you're going to dry slot underneath them. Once they move far enough east or northeast precip should fill back in, and from the looks of the radar, that's already happening.

Archived