joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 9-10 Coastal Storm Threat

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The dryslot tends to get overlooked by forecaters on these events...its rare that a low coming up the East Coast won't have a dry slot....especially if its not a Miller B and has type to get well deveoped...usually somewhere between the 700mb low center and the surface low is where it ends up....its hard to exactly place it though and models often don't see it well.

1-25-00 was the most disappointing one that I can remember. We were just getting into some decent hourly

snowfall rates when the snow cut off.

Has almost no precip at all for NJ after 7pm tonight and only lighter stuff through then.

Yeah and then it throws a whole bunch of snow back towards the lakes on Thursday. Normally I would say trust that model, but the run to run changes have been troublesome.

Right now my focus is on the HRRR which throws a dry slot over Long Island but maintains solid activity from NYC and points N&W.

I'm not just saying this because run is off..but in my humble opinion NOWCAST is the best option to try and see where the  storm goes..Im not expecting more than a few flakes in my neck of the woods...but we shall see.

couldn't agree w u more, I was getting crucified earlier, instead of sitting waiting for the latest model run to come out DURING the event use your own knowledge and some maps

The conservative Euro SV maps have the 2"-4" of snow line very close to NYC by hour 69.

1"-2" for the boroughs.

NWNJ is 2"-4". EWR is 1"-2" and anyone south of that gets 0.

It`s counting and adding up all the .1`s over 6 hours increments  . Which does not accumulate .

I don`t see that adding up to 1-2 anywhere but western NJ and the LHV . 

The conservative Euro SV maps have the 2"-4" of snow line very close to NYC by hour 69.

1"-2" for the boroughs.

NWNJ is 2"-4". EWR is 1"-2" and anyone south of that gets 0.

Strange, because the weatherbell map is actually less. The 1" line runs through Westchester. NYC and Nassau are 0.5" to 1.0"

At least what that does confirm is that the column has definitely trended colder again. Notice how the 500mb heights in the cutoff are a lot lower, and even 528dam thicknesses are showing up. 

Realistically, it looks like a dusting to inch at Central Park Thursday 

as the UL rolls through. Mostly a car top and grass special as the 

temps should be above freezing with not such great snowfall

rates.

not in the daytime with temps in the lower 40's - warm ground and low snowfall rates - has to happen at night with lower temps

Although the ECMWF did consistently better than the GFS in the medium-range in picking up on the nor'easter threat, the GFS outperformed the ECMWF in the short-term. In fact, based on last night's 0z runs, it wasn't even close, as far as the Connecticut, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, eastern and central Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and eastern Massachusetts areas were concerned.

Below is some data for 15 cities in the aforementioned region. Forecast precipitation was for the 12/9 0z through 12/9 18z period:

12092014_2.jpg

12092014_3.jpg

this time of year is depressing enough without these models all over the place,anyway it is nowcast time and watching the radar instead of these inconsistent models.

I agree how many times were we watching the HRRR in the summer with the threat of severe and it did not verify by having the placement of the storms in the wrong locations or they didn't even form or weren't even close to severe??

not in the daytime with temps in the lower 40's - warm ground and low snowfall rates - has to happen at night with lower temps

Tomorrow yes. The dusting to inch on colder surfaces would have to wait until Wednesday night

into Thursday. Best case scenario would be a 4-5-06 closed low overperformer. Sometimes

an UL vort channel crossing the Lakes can result in a brief heavier squall. But that would 

likely be a nowcast.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2006/us0405.php

BGM waving the white flag for their area now. 1-2" max amounts now. Considering many up there were expecting 12"+! ouch..

The upper low got itself organized too late and the focus of the storm was with the WAA push down here. There'll probably be a lot of snow showers and maybe some surprises around there but the CCB isn't organizing in time and the low is closing off too late. 

Archived