joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thanksgiving Eve Coastal Part Deux

DDweatherman

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But both of those lows had closed upper lows with them if I remember right. As you note, the set upp was much different for those storms than this one.

Yes, and this one is a more typical bumrush miller a with the only real flaw being the surface on up a few thousand feet. Flawed mixy storms are a staple in these parts.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people west of 95 don't see much pure rain. I mean white rain is the same I guess, though I'd hedge snowy.

Busts teach lessons but you should focus on the current situation more than busts when it comes to thinking up what will happen. 

I still can't decide whether or not to believe you when you're the one saying to "hedge snowy" :P

-The column/skew-t's are solid above 950, and we are not depending on an isothermal sounding. 

True, but they are rather poor for making dendrites.  If we had nice dendrite growth forecast, that would help our situation as well.  But we're probably looking at sloppy conglomerates made of needles and plates.  

But both of those lows had closed upper lows with them if I remember right.  

Correct, Wes.  

The Euro has crushed us with precip for like 350 runs. If we don't get some heavy precip I'm never looking at it again. Of course getting it timed right and everything, but...

But it has warmer temps.  Not sure how much vertical resolution the euro has, I bet it's pretty good.  That's what theoretically should give better low level temp forecasts.  If the euro ahs the same vertical resolution, it should have the same advantage.  My guess for precipitation is somewhere around but just ovr an inch, If I gave a range .8 to 1.25 for this type of coastal so maybe the nam temps will be right but I'd sure like to see the Euro come in colder at the surface.  I can remember busts both ways in terms of surface temps. The models cooling it and us buying into it and then not having it happen and the cold temps settling in quicker.  I think at CWG we ahd both types of busts happen last year.

I still can't decide whether or not to believe you when you're the one saying to "hedge snowy" :P

I usually have at least one spectacular bust a season. Maybe I can get it out of the way early this year.

personally, there is nothing more satisfying to this weenie than witnessing rain changing to heavy, accumulating snow

likewise, there nothing more demoralizing than to wait for changeovers that either never occur or occur too late to accumulate snow

since elevation will be a big consideration, for those who are interested I suggest 2 sites

the top one allows you to input your address and it states your exact elevation and the bottom one is a NWS product that lets you zoom in to get a very good idea of elevations that are displayed on the bottom right of the page

http://veloroutes.org/elevation/

http://preview.weather.gov/edd/?lat=40.329452873812926&lon=-75.73059082031124&zoom=6&ql=FFFFFFTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF&ml=&bm=Google_Terrain&lsr=F&lfc=F&rt=obs&rf=major|moderate|minor|action&ht=F&pid=N0Q&sf=GOES_Infrared&ri=15&obs=TFTTFFFFFFTFFFFT&is=1&ou=mph&od=-50&ships=F&cluster=T&radO=0.75&satO=0.75&hazO=0.55&tropO=0.7&ndfdO=0.7&ndfdR=Continental_US&ndfdF=Maximum_Temperature_%28%C2%BAF%29&ndfdT=12&ndfdTS=&f100=F&lviz=F&fullscreen=F&fxt=Point_%28Text_Only%29&ppd=24&pdy=3&satf=60&obsync=F&owv=F&flavor=Advanced&tfo=&tfd=&tfw=null&ht=F&hd=F&ho=null&hf=null&hb=F&ot=Meteorological_Observation&hvt=F&sht=T&uwl=F

Awesome.  Thanks Mitch.  Will 305 feet do it for me?   ;)

Take this as you like:

Tom Tasselmyer ‏@ttasselWBAL  6m

Very reliable 4km RPM shows much less snow accum in cen. MD compared to NWS models. Warm low levels hard to overcome.

Has a pic of snow accumulation with basically none in the entire state of MD. Of course, also has very little accumulation anywhere up and down the east coast. Like <4" everywhere.

personally, there is nothing more satisfying to this weenie than witnessing rain changing to heavy, accumulating snow

likewise, there nothing more demoralizing than to wait for changeovers that either never occur or occur too late to accumulate snow

since elevation will be a big consideration, for those who are interested I suggest 2 sites

the top one allows you to input your address and it states your exact elevation and the bottom one is a NWS product that lets you zoom in to get a very good idea of elevations that are displayed on the bottom right of the page

http://veloroutes.org/elevation/

http://preview.weather.gov/edd/?lat=40.329452873812926&lon=-75.73059082031124&zoom=6&ql=FFFFFFTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF&ml=&bm=Google_Terrain&lsr=F&lfc=F&rt=obs&rf=major|moderate|minor|action&ht=F&pid=N0Q&sf=GOES_Infrared&ri=15&obs=TFTTFFFFFFTFFFFT&is=1&ou=mph&od=-50&ships=F&cluster=T&radO=0.75&satO=0.75&hazO=0.55&tropO=0.7&ndfdO=0.7&ndfdR=Continental_US&ndfdF=Maximum_Temperature_%28%C2%BAF%29&ndfdT=12&ndfdTS=&f100=F&lviz=F&fullscreen=F&fxt=Point_%28Text_Only%29&ppd=24&pdy=3&satf=60&obsync=F&owv=F&flavor=Advanced&tfo=&tfd=&tfw=null&ht=F&hd=F&ho=null&hf=null&hb=F&ot=Meteorological_Observation&hvt=F&sht=T&uwl=F

Those two sites give me a different elevation answer by 150ft.  And I'm pretty sure mapgirl had a different one that she posted earlier this year and mine was different in that one too.  

Take this as you like:

Tom Tasselmyer ‏@ttasselWBAL  6m

Very reliable 4km RPM shows much less snow accum in cen. MD compared to NWS models. Warm low levels hard to overcome.

Has a pic of snow accumulation with basically none in the entire state of MD. Of course, also has very little accumulation anywhere up and down the east coast. Like <4" everywhere.

I'd wait and see if the RAP and HRRR show similar totals... if they both show a bust, it's probably gonna be a bust.

Those two sites give me a different elevation answer by 150ft.  And I'm pretty sure mapgirl had a different one that she posted earlier this year and mine was different in that one too.  

Ive GPSd my yard at this point -- driveway is 720', back fence is just under 700'

they are exactly the same for mby along with other locations I've looked at so I don't know what to tell you

if one is more likely off, it's probably the NWS site because it's not as precise

Archived