wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Thanksgiving Eve Coastal Part Deux

DDweatherman

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feeling way better about our area today.  In my 9 years in northern Carroll ive never lost out in a marginal temp scenario.  Missing the precip is a much bigger risk, when the issue is temps our elevation always seems to tip the scales in our favor.  Give us a good deform band and we will do good.

I hope so, but I think you stand a better chance than me with this one for king of the accumulations.

Low dewpoints, looking like some clearing this evening..........heavy precip........we might just do better than everyone is thinking.

Reminds me of a spring storm......warm the day before, low dews, crashing temps when precip starts.  We have one real big advantage over the spring storms........sun angle.

I was doing some reading in the CPA thread. I am very bearish overall in my outlook on this storm, not even solely based on the warmth of the 12z Euro, but also because of the set-up and less than stellar antecedent airmass. I have been checking in on some of the nowcasting tools, just simple temp obs, DP, and satellite imagery. The WV loop makes the low track on the NAM look to be taking shape along with the deep pacific injective on associated moisture. 

What I have noticed is that the dew points are respectably lower at this hour than forecast, on the order of 2-4 degrees and in some locales more. I agree with what Eskimo Joe has been saying about these things, as well as the clearing that is occurring on the satellite view out in WPA, WV, and those locations. Keeping that in mind, I am not saying the models are underestimating snowfall in the 95 area, but I do feel like the N/W areas could be headed towards snowfall totals the NAM has outlined as well as the UKMET. Additionally, for the 95 areas, if the rates do match up with what is being promoted by the models and we can run lower on the DP's that are leaking eastward, then maybe, just maybe 1-2 inches could be seen in the cities regardless of what DCA reports. 

I am not completely sold this will bust. I'm going to give my final amounts this afternoon around 4:45 PM. 

I hope so, but I think you stand a better chance than me with this one for king of the accumulations.

Manchester does do a little better then Westminster but usually not a crazy difference.  Biggest I ever saw was a storm in 2007 late in the season where Westminster got about 4 inches and Manchester got 8.

Manchester does do a little better then Westminster but usually not a crazy difference.  Biggest I ever saw was a storm in 2007 late in the season where Westminster got about 4 inches and Manchester got 8.

3/30/2014

Manchester somehow managed to get 9"... Westminster picked up about 2-3". I don't think anyone else recieved over 3".

you're thinking of 3/7/07?

There was also 3/16/07 up there. 

it was 3/16 for sure, I only had a few inches in the early March storm, the heavier bands stayed south of me.  There was also a storm in April a few years back where I somehow eeked out about 4" between 2 waves and Westminster barely got a coating.  But other then those 2 I dont remember much more then an inch or two difference in storms.

it was 3/16 for sure, I only had a few inches in the early March storm, the heavier bands stayed south of me.  There was also a storm in April a few years back where I somehow eeked out about 4" between 2 waves and Westminster barely got a coating.  But other then those 2 I dont remember much more then an inch or two difference in storms.

I think Westminster got into heavier bands with the 2/13/14 monster last year than Manchester did.  Sometimes it does flip the other way if bands don't reach you.

it was 3/16 for sure, I only had a few inches in the early March storm, the heavier bands stayed south of me. There was also a storm in April a few years back where I somehow eeked out about 4" between 2 waves and Westminster barely got a coating. But other then those 2 I dont remember much more then an inch or two difference in storms.

the early march storm was only a clipper but it was exceptionally cold for march.

Archived