joxey
Thanksgiving Eve Coastal Part Deux

DDweatherman

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take this as you like:

Tom Tasselmyer ‏@ttasselWBAL  6m

Very reliable 4km RPM shows much less snow accum in cen. MD compared to NWS models. Warm low levels hard to overcome.

Has a pic of snow accumulation with basically none in the entire state of MD. Of course, also has very little accumulation anywhere up and down the east coast. Like <4" everywhere.

The 12Z NAM suggests light to moderate snow between I-95 and I-81 from about 21Z Wed until about 3Z Thursday.  So...a slushy inch for most and those above 800 ft. will get into the 2" to 4".  DC is gonna struggle to get much of any accumulation.

This is going to be an interesting model war... will NAM pull it out with the sneaky cold or will GFS sneak in with the warmth?

I imagine both will be wrong and the Euro will be right. 

The 12Z NAM suggests light to moderate snow between I-95 and I-81 from about 21Z Wed until about 3Z Thursday.  

Yes it does.  It also suggests heavy snow from 14z-18z.  

The 12Z NAM suggests light to moderate snow between I-95 and I-81 from about 21Z Wed until about 3Z Thursday. So...a slushy inch for most and those above 800 ft. will get into the 2" to 4". DC is gonna struggle to get much of any accumulation.

The NAM changes DC over well before 21z..where are you getting this data? Not saying I trust it..

east yes.. warmer than euro west. overall, about 1-2 warmer everywhere. 

actually, these "swings" back and forth with each run are normal for the models, but being soooo close to rain/snow just makes the swings look larger than they are or we should expect from the models

I predict whether it's raining or snowing at any particular time/location tomorrow, half of the previous model runs will have predicted rain and the other half snow at that time/location

36-37

Ugh figured thanks Bob I was hoping you would answer. Is it a fair assumption that the Nam is still superior in regards to forecasting low level cold over the gfs? I know i used to rely on it when i lived in the northeast for cold air damming events idk if it could be applied here though since its a different setup. Do you happen to know if it was significance down here comparing it to the 36-37 you just gave me?

two things of note here:

1)   The 12z NAM nest is noticeably warmer than the parent.  For example, the parent 2-m temp for 16z tomorrow is between 33 and 34, while the nest is up around 37.

2)    Even though the 12z NAM parent is "cold", the microphysics fields (which tend to really provide some answers in these marginal situations) suggest snow, but a very wet snow that struggles to accumulate.   The % of frozen precipitation parameter needs to be in the >90 range for good accumulating snow, and the NAM is mainly in the 65-75 range between 15 and 18z.

Ugh figured thanks Bob I was hoping you would answer. Is it a fair assumption that the Nam is still superior in regards to forecasting low level cold over the gfs? I know i used to rely on it when i lived in the northeast for cold air damming events idk if it could be applied here though since its a different setup. Do you happen to know if it was significance down here comparing it to the 36-37 you just gave me?

It's too borderline to get that finite. Both could be right or wrong. We'll see how things looks tonight. No matter which way you shake it, the NAM was a step in the right direction and the GFS the wrong way. Go in the middle and pray the euro saves us.

actually, these "swings" back and forth with each run are normal for the models, but being soooo close to rain/snow just makes the swings look larger than they are or we should expect from the models

I predict whether it's raining or snowing at any particular time/location tomorrow, half of the previous model runs will have predicted rain and the other half snow at that time/location

Good point. I would rather have my expectations lowered by a warmer run at this point... not that I have very high expectations for this storm anyway.

Archived