Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
November II Discussion

CapturedNature

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must be warmer up this way--though I would have thought we'd have clouded at the same rate of some of the CT folks.

I got to 21,8 at 3:30, but we've climbed since that point to the current 24.5/19.  I went for a drive down toward Hippy's place along the Green River (ravine-like area) into Lyden and then along the VT/Colrain line.  The whole way was reading 23-25 in the car.

Yeah 28F was the low up here. Lake Effect clouds keeping us in check, and will probably do so next week too.

Right, our best cold is usually a sneaky sort of N-door drift when the preceding 7-day period had that GGEM 10-Day anomalies in the -4 SD region over eastern Ontario.   You reach for your car's door handle and, "ooch ooch - Christ is that cold!",                  

...Or, we missed the D7 Euro monster that nudged east for no apparent physical reason yet did so ... and is pounding NS with a historic New England COC-tease. But hell hath no fury like backside 50mph NNW dry cryospheric non-lubricated personal violation... When I was kid, on-camera Mets had more fun naming these sort of standardized models.   They called this the "Montreal Express" 

Which brings me to NJ Model low... I don't think that is formal in any sort of AMS guide, however, AFD's used to speak of this ...oh 20 years ago when I was in college.  And it made a good deal of sense then, as it does now.  It's basically the only way to get a better organized cyclogen in the more proper sense when you have screamingly too fast flow everywhere, so much so that ...blah blah blah not going to explain it again.  You either can catch that fly ball, or sit on the bench ... 

Anyway, you have a flat-like open wave with certain mechanical report moving through the rough lat/lon box of the OV ... and it may only have an amorphous closed isobar ...or two or none.  But a very subtle lead S/W ridge ...if perhaps only a tendency for one to be there (think stowed momentum) ripples out ahead and when that "tendency/subtlety" kisses the natural tendency for SW flow at mid levels out just east of the coast, there's a bit of backward translation of force and the following immediate S/W crashes like a wave rearing..  

I'm in a metaphoric mood.  Bite me!.   So then suddenly the deeper layer gets its necessary veering in the front side, and backing in the backside, the 850 and 700 and so on close off under a sharpening 500mb structure that features geometric and velocity difluence and away it goes... Boom!  sometimes more or less, sure.  

An excellent example of this was November 1987..  There was a S/W that was so flat it almost had no curvature, but the v-max was some 40+ as she sliced here way overhead N IN/OH.  Cleveland soon reported thunderstorms in sleet and snow, and the regional rad display on The Weather Channel had shredded bands of heavy activity amid whirling winds .  Winter storm watches went up for much of the region and boy was that warranted.  You talk about a first snow of the season with panache!  It was 53 F for a high the previous afternoon, yet I awoke at 3:30am to the sound of thunder, thinking the WSW must have been a bust.  Peered out the window anyway and was stunned to see the street lamp down the way ... irregularly being dimmed to a feeble orb of light by horizontal winter.  

I got dressed...boots and gloves and hat and all and ventured out into it in awe.  Another flash and cacophonic boom permeated, temporarily muting the sound of winds whipped snow particles shattering about my upper torso, head and neck.  I stood there under that street lamp, faced turned alee of the wind at an angle ... lest my skin be strafed by the whirling shards, just stunned at the shock-change in the environment; going from still in the upper 40s and dead calm just 9 hour earlier to temperatures around 30 with near blizzard conditions.  

That storm actually performed well... but it was still an open wave, moving with a purpose. It was over with in some 4-6 hours. More like 6-9 hours over SE zones... I think some places there received a good 15" of shock and awe.  We ended up with 9" in Acton. Now THAT is how you run a first snow of the season!   Not the mangled 1/4" of slushy puke I had on my car top a couple mornings ago.

Although ... there were some gossamer snow patches under foot up at Barre Falls during disk golf yesterday ... so that was neat to see.   

Where the f was I going with all this ..Oh yeah, the Euro has indeed been flirting with such a notion over the past couple /few cycles... for the D6'ish window of time.  Like I said, the NJ Model low comes in varieties and intensities, and you can say "I think we'd notice a bomb off the NJ Coast" ... First of all, I never said there was a bomb there... You could possible infer that, sure... But what I said was that there was a weak low in the OV the bombed through the Gulf of Maine... That fits.  To say the obvious ... that much being present on the model for a D6 means you should monitor it.   

Frankly the 00z run still has that by the way... It may not mean much, but the f still there. 

LOL..What in the sam hell are you taking about?Can't sustain a grip on the steering wheel? Maybe if you had just rubbed astro glide all over your hands

Right, our best cold is usually a sneaky sort of N-door drift when the preceding 7-day period had that GGEM 10-Day anomalies in the -4 SD region over eastern Ontario.   You reach for your car's door handle and, "ooch ooch - Christ is that cold!", and you can't really sustain any grip on your steering wheel.  

...Or, we missed the D7 Euro monster that nudged east for no apparent physical reason yet did so ... and is pounding NS with a historic New England COC-tease. But hell hath no fury like backside 50mph NNW dry cryospheric non-lubricated personal violation... When I was kid, on-camera Mets had more fun naming these sort of standardized models.   They called this the "Montreal Express" 

Which brings me to NJ Model low... I don't think that is formal in any sort of AMS guide, however, AFD's used to speak of this ...oh 20 years ago when I was in college.  And it made a good deal of sense then, as it does now.  It's basically the only way to get a better organized cyclogen in the more proper sense when you have screamingly too fast flow everywhere, so much so that ...blah blah blah not going to explain it again.  You either can catch that fly ball, or sit on the bench ... 

Anyway, you have a flat-like open wave with certain mechanical report moving through the rough lat/lon box of the OV ... and it may only have an amorphous closed isobar ...or two or none.  But a very subtle lead S/W ridge ...if perhaps only a tendency for one to be there (think stowed momentum) ripples out ahead and when that "tendency/subtlety" kisses the natural tendency for SW flow at mid levels out just east of the coast, there's a bit of backward translation of force and the following immediate S/W crashes like a wave rearing..  

I'm in a metaphoric mood.  Bite me!.   So then suddenly the deeper layer gets its necessary veering in the front side, and backing in the backside, the 850 and 700 and so on close off under a sharpening 500mb structure that features geometric and velocity difluence and away it goes... Boom!  sometimes more or less, sure.  

An excellent example of this was November 1987..  There was a S/W that was so flat it almost had no curvature, but the v-max was some 40+ as she sliced here way overhead N IN/OH.  Cleveland soon reported thunderstorms in sleet and snow, and the regional rad display on The Weather Channel had shredded bands of heavy activity amid whirling winds .  Winter storm watches went up for much of the region and boy was that warranted.  You talk about a first snow of the season with panache!  It was 53 F for a high the previous afternoon, yet I awoke at 3:30am to the sound of thunder, thinking the WSW must have been a bust.  Peered out the window anyway and was stunned to see the street lamp down the way ... irregularly being dimmed to a feeble orb of light by horizontal winter.  

I got dressed...boots and gloves and hat and all and ventured out into it in awe.  Another flash and cacophonic boom permeated, temporarily muting the sound of winds whipped snow particles shattering about my upper torso, head and neck.  I stood there under that street lamp, faced turned alee of the wind at an angle ... lest my skin be strafed by the whirling shards, just stunned at the shock-change in the environment; going from still in the upper 40s and dead calm just 9 hour earlier to temperatures around 30 with near blizzard conditions.  

That storm actually performed well... but it was still an open wave, moving with a purpose. It was over with in some 4-6 hours. More like 6-9 hours over SE zones... I think some places there received a good 15" of shock and awe.  We ended up with 9" in Acton. Now THAT is how you run a first snow of the season!   Not the mangled 1/4" of slushy puke I had on my car top a couple mornings ago.

Although ... there were some gossamer snow patches under foot up at Barre Falls during disk golf yesterday ... so that was neat to see.   

Where the f was I going with all this ..Oh yeah, the Euro has indeed been flirting with such a notion over the past couple /few cycles... for the D6'ish window of time.  Like I said, the NJ Model low comes in varieties and intensities, and you can say "I think we'd notice a bomb off the NJ Coast" ... First of all, I never said there was a bomb there... You could possible infer that, sure... But what I said was that there was a weak low in the OV the bombed through the Gulf of Maine... That fits.  To say the obvious ... that much being present on the model for a D6 means you should monitor it.   

Frankly the 00z run still has that by the way... It may not mean much, but the f still there.

Nice write up as usual Tip, just have to wait and see what happens.

LOL..What in the sam hell are you taking about?Can't sustain a grip on the steering wheel? Maybe if you had just rubbed astro glide all over your hands

are you really this dense?   The passage is a metaphor for it being so cold it is difficult to hold onto the steering wheel - do you really need that explained ?

wow

To those complaining about leaf blowers yesterday.....Every house on my cul de sac is either using a leaf blower or riding mower at this moment.  I just realized how loud it was outside.  It's awesome, sounds like the Indy 500 outside.  I'm going to fire up my backpack model now too.  Cheers!

It's all so pointless and actually ... quite wasteful.  People may like gathering leaves, regardless of their conveyance .. be it lawn mowers, riding mowers, rakes, blowers, what have you.  But the very act of gathering leaves really is at a fundamental level, utterly pointless. 

This is a bit of a microcosmic example of what's wrong with humanity, and why our ways and means about this planet are more dire to the planet then any other species in existence; from virus to bacteria to elephants and big blue whales, bar none, human kind should baffle all our minds.

I moved into my own home, which has a nice size yard, situated under a 200-year old Sugar Maple and other trees not too far away. They have shed and or wind-blown their refuse into my yard, every year, and I have never once gather leaves.  By late April of every following spring, my lawn was back to lush and green, with no sign of any leaves.

It's an aesthetic hollowness, actually, that drive people to gather leaves.  And when you think about on some green-friendly, tree hugging, hippy dippy level ... it's actually destructive to the biota and the planet to gather leaves. The decay of leaves over winter replaces nutrients.  The exhaust from all those mowers just adds to an ever proven, anthropogenic green-house gassing problem.. The list goes on and on, in this microcosmic example..  

And as I write ..what could even be construed as a lamented reflection of our worthlessness to this world, my neighborhood resides immediately astride Hanscom Millitary Base, where they are testing [apparently] bombs at the moment.  

Boom", the walls of my home buzz for an instant until the percussive wave dissipates.  And then that reminds me of ISIS, and the Russian flying fighter jets over the Gulf Of Mexico air space in some kind of less then veiled posturing to the U.S. during an era of their intent to usurp the Ukraine back into Russian sovereignty (whether they want to do so, or not).  

At all levels our inherent existence on this world is really ...quite a bit a troubling realization as being a destructive disconnect from the otherwise harmonious cooperation of Nature its self.  

Think about all that the next time you rip-chord a motor powered leaf blower -- and if it is too deep to handle or understand, suck down a bon-bon, drink a beer, and watch a fossil fuel and/or nuclear powered NFL game.     

Welp ... off to my in-law's father's 70th

Were you around here for that one ...? I like hearing other people's account. I wish I was located in Norwood for that one.. I think they got pounded..

I was in Brockton. We had a lot lol. I just remember the forecast being 3-6 and it was easily double that. Some of that was wet iirc. I was in 3rd grade. I don't have a vivid memory of it, but I do recall it.

It's all so pointless and actually ... quite wasteful.  People may like gathering leaves, regardless of their conveyance .. be it lawn mowers, riding mowers, rakes, blowers, what have you.  But the very act of gathering leaves really is at a fundamental level, utterly pointless. 

Haha, I just picture some alien life-force watching Earth and seeing these humans walk around and pick up these things that fall off those tall things growing around their habitats.  They are probably like, every year these things fall to the ground, humans pick them up but don't actually do anything with them, then they reappear and fall off again, and the humans go around and pick them all up again.  What are these magical objects that they feel compelled to pick up but not actually do anything with?

Archived