• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
October 2014 Obs and Disco

Bob Chill

Even the corn dust could not eat that up.

I am not sure what happened here.

I went outside an it was pouring and I could hear what I can only call a swirling or whirling noise-not a rumble.

The trees did not do anything and it was not windy but instant rain let up the noise ended.

A lot of city lights here shining on the underside of the storm. I looked up and could see sheets of rain about 1,000ft aloft being blown horizontally at 60-70mph, easy...pretty clear that the surface inversion kept those winds from mixing down.

One of the most unique things I've ever seen. Could literally see where the winds were just hitting a wall...above the inversion it was just screaming.

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of city lights here shining on the underside of the storm. I looked up and could see sheets of rain about 1,000ft aloft being blown horizontally at 60-70mph, easy...pretty clear that the surface inversion kept those winds from mixing down.

Wow. Then I might have heard it from up that high?

I really was just breezy at the surface, 10-15mph but absolutely pouring.

Wow. Then I might have heard it from up that high?

I really was just breezy at the surface, 10-15mph but absolutely pouring.

Maybe, I don't know much about the acoustics of this stuff. But yeah I went to the door because my gf said she heard a roar. I didn't hear it personally but clearly saw the sheets of rain flying across the sky just above the surface.

Thunderstorm last night, blood moon this morning (although, to me, its color was more akin to that of a copper penny; maybe that's just a function of the ambient city light). At least my dog didn't turn into a werewolf. My daughter had no interest in going on and getting out of bed -- but when she comes home from school today after hearing about it in science class, she'll probably lambaste me for not getting her up this morning.

I can't remember the last eclipse I saw; it's been a long time.

One of the most unique things I've ever seen. Could literally see where the winds were just hitting a wall...above the inversion it was just screaming.

So you could see the rain 1000' up at night, and gauge the wind speed based on the movement of the raindrops?  That's pretty impressive!

Looks rough for ALCS game 1 on Friday.  Saturday's game looks good on the GFS.  Not sure what they'd do...ALCS doubleheader?

They'll never postpone a playoff, I found out- they'll just delay it for hours and hours. I was at ALDS #1 in 2012 when we had a record lowest max and rain all day... they delayed it for hours until it was "dry" enough to play. Terrible weather for a game and it still pisses me off that they didn't just postpone it to another day.

Archived