• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
October 2014 Obs and Disco

Bob Chill

12Z NAM seems to like the idea of holding off on the bulk of the rain Friday until very late, if not the wee hours of Saturday. At midnight, there's a batch moving in and what had fallen in the previous 6 hours was fairly light.....maybe .1" in the metro areas. Of course, that'll change 20 times before then, but we could get it in if this holds. And after that the bulk of the precip heads more NNE across PA and into the NE. Thru 84h, the NAM keeps both Baltimore and DC at .5" or less. Sign me up for that. GFS keeps the axis of heaviest precip further south......sandwiched in between the PA turnpike and I-70. 

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They'll never postpone a playoff, I found out- they'll just delay it for hours and hours. I was at ALDS #1 in 2012 when we had a record lowest max and rain all day... they delayed it for hours until it was "dry" enough to play. Terrible weather for a game and it still pisses me off that they didn't just postpone it to another day.

I was at that game!  Didn't thaw out until about 2 days later.

Meteorologically though, I think that's a different case than what Friday looks like.  It might start raining in the evening and keep raining steadily (although probably never pouring) until early Saturday morning.  Can't really delay that.  

Was there as well and it was kinda miserable. And then the 9th inning happened and my mood was even worse......

I was at that game!  Didn't thaw out until about 2 days later.

Meteorologically though, I think that's a different case than what Friday looks like.  It might start raining in the evening and keep raining steadily (although probably never pouring) until early Saturday morning.  Can't really delay that.  

High end EF1 tornado confirmed in Blacksburg's CWA from last night's storm. Weakened before it reached me, but still got some gusty winds and heavy rain from the same cell that produced it. Only the second known tornado to touch down in Mercer County since 1950.

https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pid=201410081930-KRNK-NOUS41-PNSRNK

High end EF1 tornado confirmed in Blacksburg's CWA from last night's storm. Weakened before it reached me, but still got some gusty winds and heavy rain from the same cell that produced it. Only the second known tornado to touch down in Mercer County since 1950.

https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pid=201410081930-KRNK-NOUS41-PNSRNK

Saw a Facebook video of a pretty stout tornado somewhere in Ky yesterday.

GFS moved in the general direction of the NAM for Friday. Most precip stays north of the M/D line. Baltimore north is at about .5" and then close to an inch at the border and further north. GFS wants to drop an inch or so with the front early in the week. Those things seem to never drop as much as advertised unless its a crawler. 

I think something's wrong with the Ocean City Airport's thermometer. It's reading 61F, while Wallops Island to the south is 69F, Bethany Beach to the north is 70F, and Salisbury to the west is 68F.

Unless it radiates like there's no tomorrow, I think it's broken.

Also, while I'm at it, the Fort Meade temp is completely inaccurate. For example, Monday's low at BWI was 42, while Monday's low at Fort Meade was 36.

GFS moved in the general direction of the NAM for Friday. Most precip stays north of the M/D line. Baltimore north is at about .5" and then close to an inch at the border and further north. GFS wants to drop an inch or so with the front early in the week. Those things seem to never drop as much as advertised unless its a crawler. 

pretend the 10C line is the 0C line and that system for Friday looks like your typical 40N overrunning snow event during the winter

Given the importance of the ALCS and a potential rain delay or game cancellation, can this Friday system get its own thread? Just a thought.

Unless it is a normal fall rain event, I don't see why we can't have threads for some of the bigger storms we get.

I placed a temp sensor about a mile up the road from my house yesterday, trying to understand regional temperatures a little better, and the results were pretty shocking. The sensor read 42.5F for the low, while my station on the water recorded 48F.

Crazy stuff...

Microclimates are really interesting.  On a calm clear night with good radiational cooling I can be 10 degrees higher than some of the low spots within a mile or two.

Archived