• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014 Mid-Atlantic First Freeze Contest

WxUSAF

The fall equinox is upon us and tonight's lows will probably reach the 30s in our region's colder spots.  So, it's time for the first freeze contest!  

Copying and pasting last year's contest:  

Rules are the same as before...minimum cumulative departure wins.  So, a forecast of November 5th for DCA's first freeze would have a departure of 5 if the first freeze is actually on November 10th.  This departure is added to that for RIC, IAD and BWI for a contestant's total departure.  

You are forecasting the first day the temperature reaches 32F or lower at the following 4 stations:

RIC:

DCA:

IAD:

BWI:

Tiebreaker:  Cumulative rainfall for November 1-14 at BWI

Contest closes at the end of the month (11:59pm September 30th).  

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why is everyone so pessimistic about Oct. this year?  Last year I recall quite a few entries for Oct especially for BWI and IAD.  It panned out too  around 10/25-10/26.

I think it'll frost in October, just not a freeze. All you need is -6/-7 departure and it's frosty. Freeze will be tougher, but now that I think about it, it may be possible as well. Considering we just had a -10 night, and we aren't even in a pattern too favorable for cold, I may have to adjust my outlook.

Archived