joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2014 Mid-Atlantic First Freeze Contest

WxUSAF

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad you'll be up in AK and miss the White T-day here.  45 day Accuwx forecasts are always money.

Apparently it snowed last year in Fairbanks for Thanksgiving, but if it somehow snows here instead of Fairbanks this year, I'll be flabbergasted. :thumbsdown:

Dulles may not get one in Oct.. start threatening "latest" ever (Nov 10) pretty quick there if so.  

Yeah, have to see if the mid-late next week cold front improves at all.  12z GFS seemed to back off of it a bit today.  But 384hr GFS gets us all below freezing (except probably DCA)!  Which would nicely verify my BWI and RIC prediction.  

Yeah, have to see if the mid-late next week cold front improves at all. 12z GFS seemed to back off of it a bit today. But 384hr GFS gets us all below freezing (except probably DCA)! Which would nicely verify my BWI and RIC prediction.

Next week could do it. This last shot 'colded up' as we got closer. It's a lot easier to sneak one in as we go. Not to mention both 2010 and 2009 held off till Nov there so not terribly uncommon lately but still only 5 that late since 63.

Next week could do it. This last shot 'colded up' as we got closer. It's a lot easier to sneak one in as we go. Not to mention both 2010 and 2009 held off till Nov there so not terribly uncommon lately but still only 5 that late since 63.

Yea, IAD will have chances behind any decent front with good radiational conditions overnight. Doesn't have to be some high latitude sourced airmass west of the cities in late Oct. Not seeing much hope for BWI or DCA anywhere on the horizon. 

Yea, IAD will have chances behind any decent front with good radiational conditions overnight. Doesn't have to be some high latitude sourced airmass west of the cities in late Oct. Not seeing much hope for BWI or DCA anywhere on the horizon. 

Yeah, for sure. 

GEFS is trending quicker with widespread BN temps in the central and eastern US during the first week of Nov. Same look as the euro ens d10+ with goa ridging / +pna and troughing downstream in the eastern half of the conus. That type of lw pattern could probably take care of bwi/ric if it actually happens. 

Though I question the 70 degree high next Tuesday with no precip, 15C 850s, and a SSW wind.

Obviously it's bad in the "long range", but within a few days, it's pretty good. I can only speak for surface temps, as I don't regularly check other parameters.

For example, it handled the cold yesterday morning pretty well. 4km NAM had it cold too, but was showing mid-upper 30s in the coldest spots, while the GFS was correct in showing widespread frost.

The EURO is completely horrible at temps. Below were the forecast temps from the 00z run on Monday. The first number is the EURO's temps, and in parentheses are the observed low temps.

BWI: 41F (35F)

IAD: 39F (35F)

DCA: 41F (46F?)

IMBY: 48F (33.5F)

Then the 00z GFS from Monday:

BWI: 37F

IAD 35F

DCA: 37F

Really long leads, but the GFS has been pretty consistent with a Colorado/Panhandle-type low around Halloween that initiates a pattern change and sweeps some cold air in behind it for the first few days of November.  If that happens similar to the progs, that should easily get IAD, BWI and probably RIC a freeze.  

Really long leads, but the GFS has been pretty consistent with a Colorado/Panhandle-type low around Halloween that initiates a pattern change and sweeps some cold air in behind it for the first few days of November. If that happens similar to the progs, that should easily get IAD, BWI and probably RIC a freeze.

GEFS and Euro ens have a shot of bn temps during the 2-5th. Before that is warmy warm.

GEFS and Euro ens have a shot of bn temps during the 2-5th. Before that is warmy warm.

Yup, that's the one.  Next week's cold front (mid-week) is trending weaker, but this Sunday morning is looking a little colder of late.  Probably another mid-upper 30s type deal, but has a chance for IAD.  

Archived