Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2014 Mid-Atlantic First Freeze Contest

WxUSAF

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are the latest first freeze dates ever recorded for DCA, IAD and BWI?

I think we're getting closer for IAD...Ian has that info.  DCA is not for awhile and BWI probably the same.  BWI's climo is right around Halloween, so we'll probably only be about a week late.  

Dulles records are fun when there's nothing else to talk about but I'd imagine they've had later. Plus they've missed by a degree like 3 times. Still notable for 50+yrs of record tho.

Interesting their latest is earlier than DCA avg first.

Euro keeps most spots a hair above freezing in the immediate area but it's colder than last cold shot. IAD is bound to snag a 32 at least. Though since it's so close to the record kinda hope it doesn't. :P 

Euro keeps most spots a hair above freezing in the immediate area but it's colder than last cold shot. IAD is bound to snag a 32 at least. Though since it's so close to the record kinda hope it doesn't. :P

What's the record?  

With the airmass that's progged to come in next week, I think DCA will probably even hit (assuming it's as cold as advertised).  

Let's see if LWX calls it right for tonight.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
346 AM EST FRI NOV 7 2014
(snip)
.NEAR TERM /THROUGH SATURDAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --

ISOLATED SHOWERS/SPRINKLES WILL MOVE ACROSS NORTHEAST MD THROUGH DAYBREAK. AXIS OF UPPER LEVEL TROUGH PUSHING EAST OF THE AREA THIS MORNING. HOWEVER SECONDARY SHORTWAVE/VORT MAX DROPPING SOUTH FROM ONTARIO WILL ROTATE THROUGH THE TROUGH TODAY...CAUSING THE SURFACE LOW PRESSURE CENTER MOVING UP THE NEW ENGLAND COAST TO DEEPEN. THIS WILL SET THE STAGE FOR A GOOD MIXING DAY IN COLD AIR ADVECTION BEHIND THE FRONT IN THE TIGHT PRESSURE GRADIENT BETWEEN THE DEPARTING LOW AND HIGH PRESSURE APPROACHING FROM THE MS VALLEY. A FEW GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE THIS AFTERNOON. A MIX OF CLOUDS AND SUN AS STRATOCUMULUS WILL BE ABLE TO HANG ON...THICKEST WEST OF THE BLUE RIDGE. EVEN WITH DEEP MIXING HIGHS ONLY REACH THE MID TO UPPER 50S IN THE LOWER ELEVATIONS...40S IN THE MOUNTAINS. UPSLOPE PRECIPITATION WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE MORNING BUT SHOW A DECREASING TREND THIS AFTERNOON AS WINDS BEGIN TO BACK. THE HIGHEST ELEVATIONS COULD SEE AROUND AN INCH OF SNOW ACCUMULATION THROUGH THIS MORNING. TONIGHT...UPPER LEVEL PATTERN FLATTENS BETWEEN SYSTEMS AND SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS OVER THE MID ATLANTIC/SOUTHEAST STATES. GRADIENT RELAXES AND WINDS WILL DIMINISH THIS EVENING. WITH A DRY AIRMASS IN PLACE...MANY LOCATIONS CAN EXPECT TO FALL BELOW FREEZING EXCEPT IN URBAN AREAS AND NEAR THE BAY.

H2O wins for IAD with a forecast of 11/10.  I tie with mattie g for BWI with a forecast of 11/6 for both of us.  

Thus far, Bob Chill, mattie g and wrb129 are winning with a total departure of 15 days for the first 3 stations. Wxwatcher007 and I are a day back with 16 to round out the top 5.  

Given the forecast, I think Bob has the inside track to victory with his forecast of 11/15 for DCA.  Mattie g's forecast of 11/18 has a chance if DCA somehow doesn't get it later this week after the arctic fropa of doom.  

Interesting temp distribution this morning. Some teens from Fredericksburg to Richmond, but mostly upper 20s in the DC/Balt areas. Wind?

Haven't really looked but makes sense. Dews are sufficiently low so must be wind.

Archived