joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Discusssion--winter bound or bust

moneypitmike

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so pro Mets who tell us summer runs June 1 to September 1 are now able to proclaim today was the hottest day of the summer? ??? Can't have it both ways boys and girls. Summer is June 21 to September 21 in my hood, always has been

You know as well as anyone that does not make for neat record-keeping.   :whistle:

This  weather is like one big valium pill since June. I can't wait for a good ole fashioned nor'easter. Anything.

It's like that most summers...though this one might be even more boring than usual.

Not long now though until the changes are really felt and we get that first true blast of autumn air. You can see things starting to change quickly up to the north...some pretty cold airmasses starting to form.

It's like that most summers...though this one might be even more boring than usual.

Not long now though until the changes are really felt and we get that first true blast of autumn air. You can see things starting to change quickly up to the north...some pretty cold airmasses starting to form.

Looking forward to it. I can't remember a summer this dull, locally...and like you said...it's normally dull. :lol:  

Looking forward to it. I can't remember a summer this dull, locally...and like you said...it's normally dull. :lol:

Personally, I just want something cold enough to kill off the bugs to arrive. Until then, I cannot go outdoors to be with nature. I am too... delicious.

I was going back looking at the reanalysis of Carol and Edna. Man 1954...what a summer for Kevin. Damage galore from two Cat IIIs. Edna was more for extreme SE MA and the Cape.

And Kevin...suck it! I remember both storms vividly including the damage to my house. And Hazel was an amazing wind fest. All within 2 months of each other as I was starting 2nd grade.

And Kevin...suck it! I remember both storms vividly including the damage to my house. And Hazel was an amazing wind fest. All within 2 months of each other as I was starting 2nd grade.

I can't even imagine the hype and media if something similar were to happen again. Their heads would just spontaneously explode.

I can't even imagine the hype and media if something similar were to happen again. Their heads would just spontaneously explode.

The day before Carol I was running around my yard like an average 7 year old when I noticed the hasta plants on the side of the house practically getting uprooted in wind gusts. My mother and friends were sitting around and when I pointed out the wind she commented on a "hurrycane" not far away. The next morning with torrential rains I observed the beech tree in our front yard piling into the house. I was impressed but not scared. Shortly afterward Edna and then Hazel. After Hazel passed....a storm that I observed the top half of railroad double wire polls blowing down the street a mile from the tracks....I wanted to ride my bike with baseball cards in the spokes held together with clothes pins for the motor sound...lol. But I think I wanted to feel the backside NW winds of October in my face. My mother didn't want me to go fearful of "loose trees" but I prevailed and write today 60 years later in good health.

Hazel was a cool storm in that we had serious winds but not much rain as the low center went well west. Still, KNYC had a wind gust of 113 mph.

What a great weenie year that was capped by the Giants winning the WS in that prolonged summer of 1954.

After experiencing that at such a tender age I started expecting it every year. Kind of like weenies coming of age in 1995-96 only to realize decades later how rare that is.

Leaves are starting to change up at the ski resort...there are the stressed trees even in the valley that have been changing like everyone has noted, but today with the overcast the more wholesale changing is becoming visible at like 2,500ft up to the spruce line at 3,500ft...particularly on Mansfield's northeast facing slopes where the sun sets at like 3pm. West slopes seem to lag behind every year as they get more sun during the late afternoon at peak heating.

I'm up at the picnic tables now and it's 53F with 25G35...feels like fall. 1.72" of rain at home yesterday evening.

Leaves are starting to change up at the ski resort...there are the stressed trees even in the valley that have been changing like everyone has noted, but today with the overcast the more wholesale changing is becoming visible at like 2,500ft up to the spruce line at 3,500ft...particularly on Mansfield's northeast facing slopes where the sun sets at like 3pm. West slopes seem to lag behind every year as they get more sun during the late afternoon at peak heating.

I'm up at the picnic tables now and it's 53F with 25G35...feels like fall. 1.72" of rain at home yesterday evening.

What's your prediction on when peak fall foliage will be for the lower elevations this year? I would expect things to be slightly ahead of schedule given the summer we have had, but I guess it depends on what happens in the next 2-3 weeks...

What's your prediction on when peak fall foliage will be for the lower elevations this year? I would expect things to be slightly ahead of schedule given the summer we have had, but I guess it depends on what happens in the next 2-3 weeks...

No idea yet...but it's almost always sometime in the first like two weeks of October. It carts slightly but it pretty much always hits peak in that window. Columbus Day weekend is often the end of it, the mountains are definitely past peak by then, but the village can still have decent color. I just remember a lot of folks get disappointed on Columbus weekend as the miss it by like a week.

Been that way at my place since the beginning of April - some brief excitement in July with the tornado warning, but since that whole system was a miss, that just added to the meh-ness.

At my NNJ home, Hazel was by far the most powerful of the 1954 trio, and one of only two instances where buildings were plastered with shredded leaves.  The other was a June 1975 SE gale in eastern Maine, but it was tearing apart nice tender young things, not the end-of-season leather.

Looks like typical aftn shwrs/tstms I think. 12z GFS was a bit faster with fropa, but my guess is aftn timing.

How about up to the Bartlett area?  I'll be heading there for the weekend for some hiking and house-hunting (hence my eagerness to get a NH snowfall map)

Another COC day--great stuff.

74.2/61.

No idea yet...but it's almost always sometime in the first like two weeks of October. It carts slightly but it pretty much always hits peak in that window. Columbus Day weekend is often the end of it, the mountains are definitely past peak by then, but the village can still have decent color. I just remember a lot of folks get disappointed on Columbus weekend as the miss it by like a week.

Yeah and probably a week earlier for the NEK.

Archived