joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Discusssion--winter bound or bust

moneypitmike

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL, no you didn't...not even close. You had all those storms while I sat here watching cirrus.  What is your JJA total? Honestly.

10.62" here...FWIW about 3" below my normal.

All those storms??

I'll have to do official tally but it's around 5-6 inches.. The only good rain all summer was that storm in August where everyone had 2+

Almost twice that here...did you miss a bunch of thunderstorms or something?  If I ignore everything below a half inch, I still have over 8":

6/13-14: 0.87

6/25-26: 0.48

7/2-3: 0.55

7/3-4: 0.70

7/4-5: 0.85

7/14-15: 0.55

7/15-16: 0.90

7/27-28: 1.13

8/12-13: 0.46

8/13-14: 1.84

It looks like the hemispheric pattern will be such that western ridging redevelops and some good cold shots penetrate into the Plains and Midwest. It may lose intensity as it moves east, but the pattern will change near and after mid month. Also, we should see more favorable conditions for WPAC Typhoons towards the end of the month as the subsidence from MJO wave moves east. That also will change the pattern. 

post-33-0-21241500-1409838659_thumb.png

6z GFS slightly below to average @ 2m past Saturday. 850's hover around normal. Ensembles agree. Definitely a cooler pattern than we have had this recent week or so upcoming. Clear trof over the east on the 500mb anomalies. Clearly the coolest temperatures never make it this far east I don't think.

0z euro looks like it would be more active here. Warm air to our south, colder air coming in from Canada. Tighter gradient between leads me to believe we would see some storms etc as we head on into september. Doesn't look like the ridge in the west goes anywhere towards the end of the run either. 

0z euro ensembles are very similar to the GFS.

this map might be the worst I have ever seen, Kevin explain to me how ISP gets 13 inches in 1 day and is below normal? i actually ended at or slightly above normal, seriously flawed data

Haha yeah, all of NVT is also slightly wetter than normal for JJA I believe even if August was below normal precip. That map makes it look dry here too.

Nice Great White shark attack on two kayakers off the Mass coast yesterday...they called them "exploratory bites."

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Apparently they were observing seals off Plymouth!  A week or two ago a beach just north of there in Duxbury was closed because of a great white sighting.  I think they needed bigger kayaks.

Archived