joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2014 Obs and Discussion

H2O

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That map is comically in error.  It shows normal precip here.  We should've had 8 - 9 inches in the last 90 days.... we've had around 3" since May 16.  It does show the hole in Frederick Co (VA), but the departure (or lack thereof) is completely whack.

US Drought monitor shows (short term) abnormally dry conditions basically west and south of Harrisonburg in VA. You are normal ;)

Tulip poplars are starting to drop leaves here. Another sign summer is almost over. Seeing a few brown and yellow leaves in the yard and football season getting underway...sweet...

Its been a weird summer. Gone by lightning fast and no heat waves. No dog days in sight, Closest thing to a New England summer we will see in these parts. Ravens game tomorrow night with temps falling into the upper 50s. Yeah pretty sweet.

Tulip poplars are starting to drop leaves here. Another sign summer is almost over. Seeing a few brown and yellow leaves in the yard and football season getting underway...sweet...

You are a glutton for punishment i see. Are you really looking forward to watching Redskins games?.

Interesting map showing the departure from normal the last 90 days. 

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Whole western side of VA from Harrisonburg down to Danville and west dry....except my county and down near Bluefield.

I've had 12.30 in those 90 days and Covington Filter (a Co-op site) about 6 miles away has had 13.54 in that time. About 2 inches above normal.

You are a glutton for punishment i see. Are you really looking forward to watching Redskins games?.

Low expectations man. But Gruden is pass happy and they are going to run a hurry up offense. We'll see if RG is a real QB pretty quick. Receiving core is the best in years (at least on paper). This will give RG a chance to scramble without having the entire LB core chasing him. I just love the NFL season as a whole. I watch every night game as well.

Ob: 12 raindrops and cloudy

After summer 2012 I was getting worried climate change might be real. ;(

Three burning summers with a couple mild winters. It was pretty bad. A few of those summer months were simply out of control. Seriously...humid with highs right around 100 with lows near 80. Unreal. And it so skewed our view of what summer is supposed to be like.

Yea, we kinda prepaid this one. In a big way. I almost didn't make it in 2012.

For some reason I handled 2012 better than 2010/2011. I think 2011 preconditioned me for 2012, or maybe 2012 was just less humid.

The humidity in 2011 was insane. I remember one evening my vv station read 94/83...just felt surreal outside

Got 3 trace events yesterday, none of which could even wet the ground.  Meanwhile Middletown, Strasburg, and Front Royal (just to my south) got hammered.  FR got more than an inch alone from the mid-afternoon storm, and still got hit again yesterday evening.  Another southern special on-tap for this weekend too.  Hopefully, at least, this weekend I at least get the forecasted clouds, but I think I know how that is going to turn out.  Cloudy 77F is probably going to turn out mostly sunny and 84F, just like last weekend.

Archived