Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2014 Obs and Discussion

H2O

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup. We've had a good amount of rain this summer, but it's come in the occasional dumping. There's been a pretty good dry stretch here. Luckily it hasn't been really hot - that would have baked things out a while ago.

Last summer I was lucky. This year, not so. I monitor precip pretty closely, and when I tell you I've had maybe 3" at my house since May 16, I'm being generous. And about 2" of that has been in the past three weeks. Not had to mow much though.

Still big differences between the NAM and GFS, but the NAM does appear to have cut back on precip in the metro areas. GFS still really dry in the metro areas. Looks like the best bet is wetter today along the blue ridge, wetter tomorrow along and east of the bay.

Final July numbers at KOKV:

Highs: -1.30F

Lows: -1.55F

# 90s days = 8

# 70s days = 9

# 70s nights = 6

# 50s nights = 10

most consecutive 90s stretch = 3 days (July 1 -3 & July 7 - 9)

most consecutive 70s stretch = 4 days (July 16 -19)

High of the month = 95F (July 2)

Low for the month = 50F (July 30)

Seemingly is very anamalous to have more 70s days than 90s, more 50s nights than 70s, and more consecutive 70s days than 90s.  All in all, about as nice a July as one can hope for around these parts, even had a couple of t-storms out here in the Shenandoah Valley Desert..  Included was a golf ball-size hailstorm on July 3 in Middletown, VA.  My adjuster just estimated $2,500 in damage to my car.

How on earth did Aug 2009 finish -3F?

Very important question here... as it comes from my kids there will be mutiny involved in this decision. :arrrg:  :arrrg: 

Was going to make a trip to the Leesburg Water Park today but non Leesburg residents cannot get in until noon. Should I not bother, I saw that the rain is making a move up from the South and am thinking it is not worth wasting gas on. 

Very important question here... as it comes from my kids there will be mutiny involved in this decision. :arrrg:  :arrrg: 

Was going to make a trip to the Leesburg Water Park today but non Leesburg residents cannot get in until noon. Should I not bother, I saw that the rain is making a move up from the South and am thinking it is not worth wasting gas on.

Looks gloomy to me but we do tend to get fringed here

Go.  It's a water park; they'll be wet anyway, and any rain will keep the crowds away.

Archived