joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2014 Obs and Discussion

H2O

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are seriously right on the edge there  on most guidance, but you cant be worse off there than places around DC and points east. Pretty infuriating here lately. Very crispy and brown here. Glad to get some decent rain. I was out that way 2 weeks ago and it was pretty green. 

Hope you did ok this weekend over there.  The drought out here is very localized; from Middletown to Winchester.  South of there has been abundantly wet this summer... north of there too seemingly.  We had a bit of rain from July 3 through the 20th imby.  How much?  I don't know because I was out of town from the 6th to the 18th, but my yard had turned back from tinder-brown to mostly green.  We've had 0.3" since July 18th.  As of yesterday, about 50% of my grass was pretty brown again.  I was in Clarke County and Loudon County on Saturday and in Front Royal yesterday, and everything was beautifully green.

Sounds like your having an unusual summer back there.  It has been way above normal since I moved west, yesterday's paper had a graph showing July 7.5 degrees above average! 

Two fun hail storms the past two days (have cool android phone video of Pub Cycles in hail storm) looking forward to having "normal" weather here. 

Cheers to all the MA regulars!

Yeah, temp wise it's been pretty good.  June was a little above normal, but July was -1.5F and featured a number of low-humidity, cool, blustery days, including the greatest July 4th I can remember.  It's been very dry locally however.  Unfortunately for you, if it's hot out there then it's a pretty good chance it's cooler here.... I'm kinda hoping your above normal conditions persist  ^_^    But, I'm looking forward to your snow pics that are sure to start coming by November.

Yeah, temp wise it's been pretty good.  June was a little above normal, but July was -1.5F and featured a number of low-humidity, cool, blustery days, including the greatest July 4th I can remember.  It's been very dry locally however.  Unfortunately for you, if it's hot out there then it's a pretty good chance it's cooler here.... I'm kinda hoping your above normal conditions persist  ^_^    But, I'm looking forward to your snow pics that are sure to start coming by November.

Should be fresh snow in October?  the local saying is "October snow comes and goes November snow stays and grows"

I am hoping to get out into the snow fields soon, testing good road bikes so I can bike out to the mountains.  Amazed how the snow hangs on the in high Cascades. I was at the Mt Bachelor base lodge two weeks ago and the some of the Mountain Bike trails were still blocked by snow.  The guy said the April May drifting filled in the bowls.   I understand this past weekend was the first at 100% open?  There were still patches of snow at 6,100' when we hiked around Todd Lake two weeks ago.  Crazy as it has been in the upper 80's and low 90's every afternoon since I have been here.  Excited for my first fall and winter here, living 20 miles from areas that average around 40' of snow per season. 

FYI : I was still living in VA on July 4th and yes that was certainly one of the best weather days I can every remember during my 47 years living in the MA region.   

Hope you did ok this weekend over there. The drought out here is very localized; from Middletown to Winchester. South of there has been abundantly wet this summer... north of there too seemingly. We had a bit of rain from July 3 through the 20th imby. How much? I don't know because I was out of town from the 6th to the 18th, but my yard had turned back from tinder-brown to mostly green. We've had 0.3" since July 18th. As of yesterday, about 50% of my grass was pretty brown again. I was in Clarke County and Loudon County on Saturday and in Front Royal yesterday, and everything was beautifully green.

Not north. Perhaps north and east. I was serious the other day in saying there's no way I've had 3" since May 16. I'm positive that's a high estimate. No mowing though. Brown grass grows slowly...lol.

Not north. Perhaps north and east. I was serious the other day in saying there's no way I've had 3" since May 16. I'm positive that's a high estimate. No mowing though. Brown grass grows slowly...lol.

I think I have mowed twice in the last 6 weeks...and I have gotten some decent rain here- although not as much as nearby surrounding areas. Just enough moisture to keep the grass surviving but not thriving. Just the nature of being in the woods plus having excessively well drained soil.This time of year I could get 4 inches of rain and if it stayed dry the following week or so It would be back to a dust bowl. Actually its much better than the last few summers. Hope to not have to reseed half my lawn this fall.

As has been the case for over a year...heat signal in the lr is vanishing. Looks like another cool shot shaping up in d8-10 range. Not as impressive as last week's but same source region. So warm today and tomorrow then dropping back below for Thurs-Mon+/- then a brief warm shot followed by a canadian airmass. lol. It's like groundhog day for the last 5-6 weeks. Maybe it won't verify this time but I wouldn't bet against it considering how summer has gone so far.

As has been the case for over a year...heat signal in the lr is vanishing. Looks like another cool shot shaping up in d8-10 range. Not as impressive as last week's but same source region. So warm today and tomorrow then dropping back below for Thurs-Mon+/- then a brief warm shot followed by a canadian airmass. lol. It's like groundhog day for the last 5-6 weeks. Maybe it won't verify this time but I wouldn't bet against it considering how summer has gone so far.

You know its been a good year when a "warm up" in August is one mid to upper 80's day sandwiched by a couple of lower to mid 80's days.

Well, I meant north of Winchester.  I know Martinsburg has done very well this summer.  I'm in the same boat as you.  I just can't understand why it is so hard to get rain here.

interesting forecast for the weekend:   models had been showing the front setting up well south of here with waves riding along it, with the mid-Atlantic under delightful high pressure.   But getting a front to camp out in the deep south in early August defies climatology (despite the coolish summer we've had), and the trends in the GFS/ECMWF are now for the front to be further north and possibly turn the current glorious forecast somewhat wet.

Permanent eastern trough/western ridge. Let's lock that in for the next 7 months.

It's been more or less locked in since late Nov. We're getting some blocking right now to keep it around for longer. Pretty strong consensus to keep the general lw pattern in place through the next 10 days or so. It will be mid august soon. lol. Best summer in recent memory. Just outstanding. IIRC- below average on the means in July-Aug is a more typical occurrence with cloudy/wet than bright sun and air from our northern neighbor. Seems like it's a repayment towards the averages after a ghastly string of summers. Last year wasn't awful but the ones before it were atrocious.

Interesting map showing the departure from normal the last 90 days. 

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That map is comically in error.  It shows normal precip here.  We should've had 8 - 9 inches in the last 90 days.... we've had around 3" since May 16.  It does show the hole in Frederick Co (VA), but the departure (or lack thereof) is completely whack.

Archived