• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
August Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

I think it would be pretty cool to see one, but I won't be trying to swim across to the bar anytime soon.

I agree...I'd love to see one.  I went swimming in Kauai only to have a 15' tiger shark visit the same beach the next day.  Can't say I was sad to miss it though.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of a random temp stat, but this might be the first summer since 2000 that ORH fails to record a minimum temp of 70F or higher. So far, they have yet to record one. 2000 also failed to hit 90F which this summer has yet to hit as well.

I believe there was some consternation in these spaces a few years ago when they recorded an overnight low of 80F for a night in July.

I believe there was some consternation in these spaces a few years ago when they recorded an overnight low of 80F for a night in July.

That was right around the time they switched their ASOS location to closer to the terminal (I still have no idea why they did that)...they were way warmer than even my location at the time on winter hill which hardly ever gets any type of rad cooling...and we were almost always within 1-2F of eachother at night...but this time the difference was like 8F.

The low ended up being counterfeited anyway later that day, so it never made it into the record books.

actually it also predicts the winters NH snowcover extent., there was great debate as to his work and others work last year. some claimed the change in extent was a precursor while others pointed out scholarly articles which just looked at extent.

Well to be fair he claims the snow advance index in October gives the ao signal. We had a high starting point on 10/1 so the sai was lower and sure enough the ao was mildly positive. Winter was still cold with above normal snow for most.

Well to be fair he claims the snow advance index in October gives the ao signal. We had a high starting point on 10/1 so the sai was lower and sure enough the ao was mildly positive. Winter was still cold with above normal snow for most.

I think the recurving TCs had a strong impact to kickstarting the pattern and it went from there.  We started to see ridging build into AK and stay there permanently.

Last night's euro looks like a single rather warm day with temps tickling 90's on next Thursday. The following day looks like south of pike is warmer than north. Maybe warmer for Kev on south then me for example. Looks like chances at rain both days which is promising. Either way it is far from a prolonged stretch of hot weather. Other than that euro looked like  high seventies to maybe mid 80's at the highest later in the run. 12z GFS is toastier than the euro, continuing the trend from yesterday. GFS wants to send that TC well off to our SE letting the ridge set up shop while the euro offers a closer pass. Precip chances hard to come by on this gfs run too. Euro certainly looked a little wetter. I think its safe to say it might be warm for a couple days next week. We'll see if it vanishes like the other advertised heat this summer. 

Kind of a random temp stat, but this might be the first summer since 2000 that ORH fails to record a minimum temp of 70F or higher. So far, they have yet to record one. 2000 also failed to hit 90F which this summer has yet to hit as well.

Only my personal records 1998 on, but so far this month we've had neither a high 80+ nor a low 60+. August 2008 had a high of 79, but every August 1998-2013 has featured at least one 60+ minimum. This coming Mon-Wed probably the last chance for 80/60, and for CDDs beyond the meager 3 I've recorded so far this month.

Met summer precip:

JUN....4.35"

JUL....7.91"

AUG....3.41" (2.62" for 13-14, and 0.79" on the other 13 days with measurable.)

Garden has not needed watering all summer.

i put some down time reading material in the winter outlook for ya

This is crazy...2-3 feet of hail fell in Mexico City. I can't even comprehend that, cars buried up to their doors in hail, bucket loaders clearing streets. That would be nuts.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/08/19/two-to-three-feet-of-hail-crippled-parts-of-mexico-city-sunday/

Can you imagine a KU hail event? lol. Shoveling in August.

This is crazy...2-3 feet of hail fell in Mexico City. I can't even comprehend that, cars buried up to their doors in hail, bucket loaders clearing streets. That would be nuts.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/08/19/two-to-three-feet-of-hail-crippled-parts-of-mexico-city-sunday/

No ice needed for the Dos XX.

57.2/56

Archived