wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
August Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a ways to go for that.  1st weekend in November.  Sunrise will be 7:30 right before that occurs

I know--it sucks they do it so late.  I think it was Ed Markey who had the "brilliant" idea of doing it this way and introduced the bill in Congress.  Nothing like sending the kids to the bus in the dark.

It doesn't work both ways..you can't say this summer has been boring and then say some have had prolific rains. The summer has sucked from beginning to end. That's just my opinion. Instead of one awful month of September we've had 2-3 months in a row of it

Boring describes it locally and there are many ways to get enough precip so yes you can have it both ways. As usual, NNE tends to get more action so those guys probably wouldn't say it was boring relatively speaking.

It is subjective so there is no right or wrong...but temps have been great and my electric bill is way down from last summer which is nice to see.

I have never understood why they wait even longer now...at least in the spring when they go forward, we are getting close to the equinox, so I can sort of understand that...but the waiting until early November to turn the clocks back now is insane. It's like 6-7 weeks after the fall equinox. Kids are outside in the dark going to school...it's ridiculous. All because of what? So we can have an extra hour of sunlight at 5:30pm?

It was fine the way it was...when we use to turn the clocks back in mid-October.

Couldn't agree with you more.  The original plan was 1st week in March to last week in Nov, it was scaled back to add 3 weeks in the spring and one in the fall.  But yeah, can imagine especially on western ends of time zones, sun is coming up at 8 or even later.

As a kid, spring forward was the last Saturday in April and fall back was the last Saturday in October (maybe sooner?). I remember 1960 being cold in October but roasting the first week of December. 12/4/60 was near 70. 12/11-12/60 was among the 20th century's great blizzards. 1-2 feet with temps near 10.

As a kid, spring forward was the last Saturday in April and fall back was the last Saturday in October (maybe sooner?). I remember 1960 being cold in October but roasting the first week of December. 12/4/60 was near 70. 12/11-12/60 was among the 20th century's great blizzards. 1-2 feet with temps near 10.

The March change is awesome, another hour on the slopes, we skied back at 630 March 23rd

The March change is awesome, another hour on the slopes, we skied back at 630 March 23rd

I can understand that piece but mornings are brutal the first few weeks. And we're still tracking winter events with models coming in an hour later. So and don't take this personally fuk the skiers. :P

Gonna touch base on this "which season is best" thing real quick.

Official seasonal power rankings for New England:

7. Mud and Salt - That period where it just won't ****ing snow, it's pretty much always between 37º and 48º regardless of what time of day it is, and everything is caked in salt and or mud left by lingering ice piles from the good old days when it could snow. If this starts too early, there isn't even baseball to cheer you up. This is the worst. If you like this, you are ill.

6. Dog Days - Mosquitoes, humidity, backsweat regardless of physical activity, afternoons where you leave the office to just grab some lunch and it's like walking into a hot fart. Yeah, this is good beach weather, but the days you actually make it to the beach mysteriously end up being like low 80's with cloud cover. Or you end up in a suit jacket at an outdoor wedding. And you still get sunburned. The person you share a bed with cannot understand that it's too hot for spooning, and that one of you will have to die if they force the issue. You cannot win. Summer is a lie. You were wrong to have wished for this.

5. Five Minute Spring - It actually does happen. Usually it's on a bloody Tuesday in late April, maybe mid-May. But it happens. Somewhere in there, the spring rains have cleared all the muck, the warmth finally rolls out of bed and you can legitimately wear shorts outdoors without anyone asking if you're insane. You're sick this day, no matter what. Sometimes it's because you just needed to not go to work so you could go outside and enjoy it, because you know it won't last. Sometimes it's because the pollen is up in your business and you can't effing breathe. Regardless, you are sick or "sick."

4. Warm Fall - Warm fall is just summer without the humidity. It makes it up to the 80's pretty easily still, and it makes the whole "back to school" part of September kinda weird. I thought we were still doing summer? No? Well, football is back. Is it still acceptable to go to the beach? I don't know! Who cares.

3. Baby Winter - It might snow. But it'll probably rain. But it feels cold enough for snow. And Christmas stuff has been in stores since, like, October, so you somehow feel like we're behind the ball on this winter business anyhow, even though you know you should temper expectations this early in the season. You stay up late for model runs even though it's just to find out if you'll see ten flakes. If this was mid-March, you would not give a ****. But it's not. It's baby winter and nobody puts baby in a corner. It *smells* like snow. You can feel it. You *know* these things.

2. Justified Hoodies - The high is 60º and the low is 37º. Giant, puffy cumulus race across the sky. The last cold front rocked you to sleep with steady rain in the evening and in its wake, strong northwesterly winds clip away at the looser leaves in the changing maples along the highway you take every day. Everything you ingest has somehow been infused with pumpkin spice. It would be overkill if it wasn't awesome. You haven't thought of a good Halloween costume in sixteen years, but here you are on the Spirit Halloween website, trying anyhow. The bugs are dead, except for the spiders, which are huge, and, if their webs are pretty enough, permitted to stay. You either wake up or drive home in the dark, or both, and it's easier on the eyes. Soon, there will be frost.

1. Deep, Deep Winter - Ten white inches of fresh, god-driven snow have "just-the-tipped" their way into every nook and cranny of the great outdoors. The house smells like beef stew and whiskey, the office said have a good Thursday and we'll try it tomorrow, but you just laugh because there's another seven inches on the way with round two, and in between, it doesn't really even seem to fully stop. There're just always a couple dendrites spitting down. This is neat. You don't know what you did in a past life to get this payoff, but you'd do it all over again if you had to just to get more of this. Even if it meant killing something innocent. Now if people would just stop texting you with "how much are we getting?! i hear more snow tomorrow from the tv guys! ugh!" Playoff football. No one can see the weight you gained during the holidays under all of the layers of clothing you're wearing. Your secret is safe.

Gonna touch base on this "which season is best" thing real quick.

Official seasonal power rankings for New England:

7. Mud and Salt - That period where it just won't ****ing snow, it's pretty much always between 37º and 48º regardless of what time of day it is, and everything is caked in salt and or mud left by lingering ice piles from the good old days when it could snow. If this starts too early, there isn't even baseball to cheer you up. This is the worst. If you like this, you are ill.

6. Dog Days - Mosquitoes, humidity, backsweat regardless of physical activity, afternoons where you leave the office to just grab some lunch and it's like walking into a hot fart. Yeah, this is good beach weather, but the days you actually make it to the beach mysteriously end up being like low 80's with cloud cover. Or you end up in a suit jacket at an outdoor wedding. And you still get sunburned. The person you share a bed with cannot understand that it's too hot for spooning, and that one of you will have to die if they force the issue. You cannot win. Summer is a lie. You were wrong to have wished for this.

5. Five Minute Spring - It actually does happen. Usually it's on a bloody Tuesday in late April, maybe mid-May. But it happens. Somewhere in there, the spring rains have cleared all the muck, the warmth finally rolls out of bed and you can legitimately wear shorts outdoors without anyone asking if you're insane. You're sick this day, no matter what. Sometimes it's because you just needed to not go to work so you could go outside and enjoy it, because you know it won't last. Sometimes it's because the pollen is up in your business and you can't effing breathe. Regardless, you are sick or "sick."

4. Warm Fall - Warm fall is just summer without the humidity. It makes it up to the 80's pretty easily still, and it makes the whole "back to school" part of September kinda weird. I thought we were still doing summer? No? Well, football is back. Is it still acceptable to go to the beach? I don't know! Who cares.

3. Baby Winter - It might snow. But it'll probably rain. But it feels cold enough for snow. And Christmas stuff has been in stores since, like, October, so you somehow feel like we're behind the ball on this winter business anyhow, even though you know you should temper expectations this early in the season. You stay up late for model runs even though it's just to find out if you'll see ten flakes. If this was mid-March, you would not give a ****. But it's not. It's baby winter and nobody puts baby in a corner. It *smells* like snow. You can feel it. You *know* these things.

2. Justified Hoodies - The high is 60º and the low is 37º. Giant, puffy cumulus race across the sky. The last cold front rocked you to sleep with steady rain in the evening and in its wake, strong northwesterly winds clip away at the looser leaves in the changing maples along the highway you take every day. Everything you ingest has somehow been infused with pumpkin spice. It would be overkill if it wasn't awesome. You haven't thought of a good Halloween costume in sixteen years, but here you are on the Spirit Halloween website, trying anyhow. The bugs are dead, except for the spiders, which are huge, and, if their webs are pretty enough, permitted to stay. You either wake up or drive home in the dark, or both, and it's easier on the eyes. Soon, there will be frost.

1. Deep, Deep Winter - Ten white inches of fresh, god-driven snow have "just-the-tipped" their way into every nook and cranny of the great outdoors. The house smells like beef stew and whiskey, the office said have a good Thursday and we'll try it tomorrow, but you just laugh because there's another seven inches on the way with round two, and in between, it doesn't really even seem to fully stop. There're just always a couple dendrites spitting down. This is neat. You don't know what you did in a past life to get this payoff, but you'd do it all over again if you had to just to get more of this. Even if it meant killing something innocent. Now if people would just stop texting you with "how much are we getting?! i hear more snow tomorrow from the tv guys! ugh!" Playoff football. No one can see the weight you gained during the holidays under all of the layers of clothing you're wearing. Your secret is safe.

Well done sir....well done.

If you are using this as a redeeming quality of spring, then I'll mention the same thing for Fall...it brings the hope of winter and exciting weather.

That said, September is quite possibly the most boring month to me weatherwise...it is only interesting here if we get a rogue tropical system. But I'll also agree with Scott that New England thunderstorm season is like rooting for snow in Atlanta....good luck with that. :lol:

I feel like if you can enjoy weather outside of your backyard you can enjoy summer. Been plenty of days with interesting severe across sne. Sure it doesn't happen frequently, but there has been events.

Didn't have one here this year minimal deer flies too. Odd.

Same for the blackflies here - least of any year of my 17 here.  However, we must have received all your deerflies.  Until the dragonfly armada arrived, we always had a squadron of the triangular terrors around.

When I lived in Fort Kent, the alternate name for "five-minute spring" was "solstice day".  It's the only place where I've had my tomato plants pushed over by snow - in the 2nd week of June.  Also lost some pumpkin leaves to frost one July 31 morning.  Neighbor's beans were about 5' lower elevation, and got fried.

Archived