joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you have a dew point of 66? That's the highest in all of New England and much higher than coastal locations and places like BID, ACK, and MVY which are basically sitting in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and even they have dews <60.

could be accurate if his station is located near a lot of vegetation, especially in the evening once mixing decreases 

could be accurate if his station is located near a lot of vegetation, especially in the evening once mixing decreases 

Right...but we've been over this before. That dewpoint is not representative of the general airmass...even in his area. It's a micro-siting issue.

Readings may be instantaneously accurate for the air around the sensor but it doesn't mean it represents the overall picture.  It's like putting a bare sensor out in the sun and having it read 100° while everyone around is 80°.  It's accurate at the sensor for its siting and conditions but that doesn't mean it's 100° there. 

If you surround your hygrometer sensor with vegetation, the humidity reading is going to go up and that will raise the dew point calculation.

Readings may be instantaneously accurate for the air around the sensor but it doesn't mean it represents the overall picture.  It's like putting a bare sensor out in the sun and having it read 100° while everyone around is 80°.  It's accurate at the sensor for its siting and conditions but that doesn't mean it's 100° there. 

If you surround your hygrometer sensor with vegetation, the humidity reading is going to go up and that will raise the dew point calculation.

Bingo.

Readings may be instantaneously accurate for the air around the sensor but it doesn't mean it represents the overall picture. It's like putting a bare sensor out in the sun and having it read 100° while everyone around is 80°. It's accurate at the sensor for its siting and conditions but that doesn't mean it's 100° there.

Just like out in the middle of an asphalt airstrip will be inaccurate due to drying

Bingo.

Well its what we have said in the past too...the reason we use ASOS dewpoints to calculate whether it is "muggy" or not is because it is those sitings where the definitions of muggy were calibrated to. 66F at an airport siting is muggy...and usually that correlates to dewpoints in someone's lush yard in the 70-72F range. Conversely, a dew of 66F in a lush yard is not considered as muggy since the ASOS readings will be in the 60F range. We've calibrated our definitions of muggy to sitings where ASOS stations are located.

Well its what we have said in the past too...the reason we use ASOS dewpoints to calculate whether it is "muggy" or not is because it is those sitings where the definitions of muggy were calibrated to. 66F at an airport siting is muggy...and usually that correlates to dewpoints in someone's lush yard in the 70-72F range. Conversely, a dew of 66F in a lush yard is not considered as muggy since the ASOS readings will be in the 60F range. We've calibrated our definitions of muggy to sitings where ASOS stations are located.

Yep, all true. I just like the wording "instantaneous accurate" from Metherb.  

Ugh, dewpoint talk...summer is the worst.

Yep, all true. I just like the wording "instantaneous accurate" from Metherb.  

Ugh, dewpoint talk...summer is the worst.

The worst part is we've been over this like 10 times in the past 2 years, but it still comes up.

I'm not sure why.

At least when it comes to weather excitement, winter cannot get here soon enough.

The worst is we've been over this like 10 times in the past 2 years, but it still comes up.

I'm not sure why.

At least when it comes to weather excitement, winter cannot get here soon enough.

I know.  :lol:  Oh well...at least now we can start looking ahead and watch the pieces of the puzzle slowly fall into place.

Looking at both the euro and the gfs I see at least a brief warm up spilling over into our area in the next few weeks. I do not see a heat wave by any means, but several days of 80's may be likely. Some degree of drought should settle in, I see no major rainfall. Do we see a tropical disturbance end our dry spell in a big way with a post tropical depression?

Archived