Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
August Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HVN had their 4/1/97 back in 2013, but man I hope the younger weenies get to experience that sometime in their life. I still get this nostalgic feeling when talking about it. I'll never forget the mets on air with their faces like " we don't know what the **** is happening.." :lol: The one real time where nobody had a clue about what's going on and we were in uncharted territory. Really can't get that feeling anymore with models that good now.

Oh yeah for sure. Still my top storm to this day. First time ever where I had to pull over because the snow was falling so hard and so wet during the day that it stuck to my wipers like glue.

I'll never forget the horror of the town plow depositing a waist deep layer at the edge of the driveway. In retrospect I should've just waited 24 hours to shovel.

As far as that hail goes I've seen pics of the TX panhandle that look like that but in an urban environment as huge and densely packed as Mexico City that would be almost unfathomable. Gives new meaning to the term clusterf***.

You inspired me to go through my pics Radarman. Gosh...man that was a storm.

What you were saying before about the mets being at a loss is the big takeaway for me. In addition to the shoveling the overwhelming memory was the looking out the window at 6 AM jaw agape like "holy bleep". It must have been and extended period of 2-4"/hr for much of eastern MA.

What you were saying before about the mets being at a loss is the big takeaway for me. In addition to the shoveling the overwhelming memory was the looking out the window at 6 AM jaw agape like "holy bleep". It must have been and extended period of 2-4"/hr for much of eastern MA.

Before we lost power, they all had this dumbfounded look. I think they knew this was unprecedented and would probably drop 2-3' but who could fathom that? Harvey, Barry....they all had a worried look. Of course I knew what that meant....history.

That night snowed unbelievable rates for so long. Persistent thunder and lightning ...pink lightning...I'll never forget it.

What a punt of the heart of August...not that I really mind. This is stuff Ginxy would be proud of.

But 7 of the last 9 days have had highs in the 60s at MVL. The last above normal day was August 12th with a +2 departure (81/55), and only 3 of the last 15 days have had a positive departure, with +3 being the warmest.

What a punt of the heart of August...not that I really mind. This is stuff Ginxy would be proud of.

But 7 of the last 9 days have had highs in the 60s at MVL. The last above normal day was August 12th with a +2 departure (81/55), and only 3 of the last 15 days have had a positive departure, with +3 being the warmest.

pretty sweet here now as well,Sun feels great, cleaning the pool was chilly, pool temp 70. Next week should be a great last hurrah for those who end summer labor day. Kids go back to school before labor day now, don't understand that but kids in school means less tourists recreating which is a good thing.

Can you imagine a KU hail event? lol. Shoveling in August.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Quite surprised that the trees still had foliage.  When we had about 4" of hail accum (nickel-quarter size) 7 yr ago, it ripped all foliage from both hardwoods and conifers, and took bark off some of the smaller branches as well.  Those "hailbanks" are mega-impressive, but I'm guessing they were water-piled, that the landscape-scale accum was considerably less than what's in the pic.  That 07 event in central Maine had water-collected piles of white 2 ft deep 24 hr after precip had ended, with temps 60s-70s during that period.

pretty sweet here now as well,Sun feels great, cleaning the pool was chilly, pool temp 70. Next week should be a great last hurrah for those who end summer labor day. Kids go back to school before labor day now, don't understand that but kids in school means less tourists recreating which is a good thing.

Yeah and Labor Day is as early as it can be this year...kids be in school extra early this year. Beaches must be sweet midweek after school starts...empty.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to one last warm push with some dews keeping temps in the 60s at night. It's easy to take the heat and enjoy it now when you know the camels back has broken, rather than when we had it in early July and you're just praying we don't have to put up with that for two straight months. Now it's time to enjoy the last hurrahs of summer as we move into September.

Yeah and Labor Day is as early as it can be this year...kids be in school extra early this year. Beaches must be sweet midweek after school starts...empty.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to one last warm push with some dews keeping temps in the 60s at night. It's easy to take the heat and enjoy it now when you know the camels back has broken, rather than when we had it in early July and you're just praying we don't have to put up with that for two straight months. Now it's time to enjoy the last hurrahs of summer as we move into September.

less than 70 days until flakes are possible

It's been and apparently is continuing to be a good year for my garden, despite the counter-intuitive appeal of a coolish summer. 

These just fetched within the hour, in preparation for a vinaigrette dill seasoned cucumber-tomato salad.  Man, house filled with ecstatic natural aromas...

post-904-0-36067100-1408809590_thumb.jpg

I think our mutual paths of weather experience has encouraged a somewhat unrealistic expectation of summer, perhaps for having so many years of above normal predominating the anomaly types.  This summer as a whole is not far enough from normal, not without quibbling over a degree and decimal change ...  Yet it seems so cool.  This month's numbers may finally bring the 3 mo mean down to something more reflective of the mood and memory of the summer, we'll see...  I don't believe next week's possible warm departures will 'be in time' to really have a huge impact, but we'll see there too.

It does seem though that the erstwhile pattern persistence dominating since June is collapsing though, doesn't it.  hmm  Some indication here that when the ridginess of the week collapses, and trough return may just roll right out in a hurry ... unlike predecessor troughs of this summer ... yielding to another ridge bulge.

Before we lost power, they all had this dumbfounded look. I think they knew this was unprecedented and would probably drop 2-3' but who could fathom that? Harvey, Barry....they all had a worried look. Of course I knew what that meant....history.

That night snowed unbelievable rates for so long. Persistent thunder and lightning ...pink lightning...I'll never forget it.

I've told parts of this story before. It was just at the time when the pentium processors were new and I just upgraded my desktop 2 weeks earlier. The day before the storm I go for a 5 mile run in temps approaching 70. After showering I see that there's talk of snow the next day. Monday morning (3/31/97) dawns overcast with light rain....temps here in the 40s and folks a honking. At this point I was up to speed and thought we'd do well if we could start mixing in the early afternoon. I'm working that day across the street from the Garden which is right onthe water. I notice flakes mixing in by Noon. Meanwhile winds are picking up. I leave work around 4...snowing hard but slushy in my work location. I decided to walk to government center to get the T vs North Station. As I cross New Chardon Street my left eardrum is literally getting pelted with flakes driving in my left ear in the winds.

I get home to Brookline and unlike the small slushy accumulation near the Garden I already have 4 inches on my deck with snow heavily falling and blowing. I decide to head over to my friends house to watch the NCAA finals that night. There's an alleyway where cars park near my house which was wet despite the easy accumulation on grass, decks, etc. as I'm walking up to my friend's house, it's full on blizzard as he has some elevation on me. At this point, it's coming down at least 3/hour and the firehose coming off the ocean was astounding! I'm at my friend's house maybe 15 minutes when the first lightning strike occurs. That went on for hours.....imagine thunder snow going on and on and on!

Returning home 3 hours later. It was crazy out and now subfreezing everywhere so the snow was much drier. That wet alleyway had a foot of snow on it when I got close to home. I announce to my wife with glee....we're getting 20+! The next day the green line wasn't running....only one of 2 such times...the other feb 2013 and that was planned ahead. Most people didn't have work the next day. My wife and I go back to my same friends house as snow is ending around Noon. There was a ton of snow but as soon as it stopped melting began. Nonetheless, it was one of the greats in my lifetime and I've seen a lot of them. The only thing negative (also a positive for its rarity) was the fact that it was April and everyone knew that was it over till November or December. My wife got a candid photo of me gazing at the sky as it's brightening at the end of the storm. It was one of utter longing and some sadness knowing this great event was over.....as was winter. I'll try to find the photo.

less than 70 days until flakes are possible

We had freezing rain and icing last year in September, so really only a month away from potential wintery weather in the higher elevations. I remember being up in the gantry of the Gondola banging ice off the haul rope as cabins were slipping coming into the rails and getting stuck. Nothing like explaining to fall foliage tourists that we're going to be a couple hours late in opening because of icing in September. I think the COOP up there has been recording snow in about 2 of every 10 September months, so the chance for flakes is there too if the cold is deep enough. It's definitely sneaking up.

I've told parts of this story before. It was just at the time when the pentium processors were new and I just upgraded my desktop 2 weeks earlier. The day before the storm I go for a 5 mile run in temps approaching 70. After showering I see that there's talk of snow the next day. Monday morning (3/31/97) dawns overcast with light rain....temps here in the 40s and folks a honking. At this point I was up to speed and thought we'd do well if we could start mixing in the early afternoon. I'm working that day across the street from the Garden which is right onthe water. I notice flakes mixing in by Noon. Meanwhile winds are picking up. I leave work around 4...snowing hard but slushy in my work location. I decided to walk to government center to get the T vs North Station. As I cross New Chardon Street my left eardrum is literally getting pelted with flakes driving in my left ear in the winds.

I get home to Brookline and unlike the small slushy accumulation near the Garden I already have 4 inches on my deck with snow heavily falling and blowing. I decide to head over to my friends house to watch the NCAA finals that night. There's an alleyway where cars park near my house which was wet despite the easy accumulation on grass, decks, etc. as I'm walking up to my friend's house, it's full on blizzard as he has some elevation on me. At this point, it's coming down at least 3/hour and the firehose coming off the ocean was astounding! I'm at my friend's house maybe 15 minutes when the first lightning strike occurs. That went on for hours.....imagine thunder snow going on and on and on!

Returning home 3 hours later. It was crazy out and now subfreezing everywhere so the snow was much drier. That wet alleyway had a foot of snow on it when I got close to home. I announce to my wife with glee....we're getting 20+! The next day the green line wasn't running....only one of 2 such times...the other feb 2013 and that was planned ahead. Most people didn't have work the next day. My wife and I go back to my same friends house as snow is ending around Noon. There was a ton of snow but as soon as it stopped melting began. Nonetheless, it was one of the greats in my lifetime and I've seen a lot of them. The only thing negative (also a positive for its rarity) was the fact that it was April and everyone knew that was it over till November or December. My wife got a candid photo of me gazing at the sky as it's brightening at the end of the storm. It was one of utter longing and some sadness knowing this great event was over.....as was winter. I'll try to find the photo.

Ha, good story Jerry. Likewise in Hydepark, we had a good amount of snow at my locale when Logan still reported a mix.

Archived