northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
August Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

legit question, was this year a record for lack of severe reports in SNE?

Good question actually!

You would probably want to look at years from about 1992 on.  This is about when the "Doppler period" began and you also have the increase in spotter network and ham network so # of reports per year vastly began to increase from about the early 90's on.  

I would have to think though this certainly would be one of the least active years since the early 90's period.  

Good question actually!

You would probably want to look at years from about 1992 on. This is about when the "Doppler period" began and you also have the increase in spotter network and ham network so # of reports per year vastly began to increase from about the early 90's on.

I would have to think though this certainly would be one of the least active years since the early 90's period.

thanks just wondering, 1992 is popping up as analog in lots of different areas

Beautiful day... 81F at MVL now with comfy dews.  Warmth seems to be going "over-the-top" as it seems to get warmer as you go further north. 

Look at Montreal and Quebec City area...mid-80s.

Even CAR is up to 86F last hour with a north wind gusting near 20mph.  Not too often you get that warm with a north wind up there I'm sure.

thanks just wondering, 1992 is popping up as analog in lots of different areas

interesting.  

I remember a while back I had actually did a project (I did a presentation at the first conference I went to where I didn't do a power point and just read off numbers lol) where I wrote down all severe weather reports for each month for the New England states and PA/NY.  What I found was that after about 1992 the number of reports just vastly increased and that made sense b/c it was late 80's/early 90's when Doppler's were implemented and their coverage grew and also the 90's is when the skywarn spotter network really began to increase along with HAM radio.  

I still have the notebooks with the data as well!

interesting.  

I remember a while back I had actually did a project (I did a presentation at the first conference I went to where I didn't do a power point and just read off numbers lol) where I wrote down all severe weather reports for each month for the New England states and PA/NY.  What I found was that after about 1992 the number of reports just vastly increased and that made sense b/c it was late 80's/early 90's when Doppler's were implemented and their coverage grew and also the 90's is when the skywarn spotter network really began to increase along with HAM radio.  

I still have the notebooks with the data as well!

You have seen this page right,

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/reports/index.php?date=20140823

I have not.

This is awesome!!!

When I was recording the data I used the NCDC storm events page and I had severe plot on my computer and would have to manually go through the reports so I could just get the reports for the states I was doing...it took forever...I also had to watch for duplicates and it got so intense I just stopped...but this was way back in 2008 I was doing this.  

This link is great though, you can filter by state!  I may go back to that project at some point and time...maybe inbetween the fall and spring school semester.  

I have not.

This is awesome!!!

When I was recording the data I used the NCDC storm events page and I had severe plot on my computer and would have to manually go through the reports so I could just get the reports for the states I was doing...it took forever...I also had to watch for duplicates and it got so intense I just stopped...but this was way back in 2008 I was doing this.

This link is great though, you can filter by state! I may go back to that project at some point and time...maybe inbetween the fall and spring school semester.

thought you would like it. Pretty neat.

last 7 days

Yeah, we had a string of rain cooled ugly days on Thur/Fri following on the heels of that other cold stretch last weekend with the ULL. Kept departures down. CAR was sort of north of that junk. The past 10 days have been the coldest relative to normal of any period this summer up here, and your map shows that from the Greens east into Dendrites area.

Archived