amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Spring/ Summer 2014 Convection Discussion

weatherwiz

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the most interesting moments was feeling a heat burst with the storm in Burlington. I have never experienced one before in all the storms I have chased.

Nice! like mother nature opening the oven.  It would crazy to experience some of the more fabled heat bursts.  I was lucky enough to experience one outside Livingston, Montana on my cross country trip.  10 degree temp rise and ~35 mph gusts.  

Great pics!

Looks like a rumble or two around 2-3am. being so far east. Timing is terrible.

Thanks Don, I wish the ones of the storm came out clearer.  That little lowering off to the left looks a little more defined than typical scud but you can't really determine much from the pictures.  Looking into a new camera.  

Here are some pictures of the storm as it impacted Ashburnham/Gardner and the resulting damage on Corey Hill Rd.  All of the tree damage appeared to be divergent, downed generally northwest to southeast.  Definitely straight line wind damage.  You can't see it from the picture but the white house was hit and still had a large oak tree resting on its roof.  

Nice shots.....sorry about the damage about town.

Ripping here in Bartlett, NH

Where are you staying in Bartlett?

Hardly even received any rain, .08".  I did have a couple rumbles but they were minor enough where the fan pretty  much muffled them out.

Nice shots.....sorry about the damage about town.

Where are you staying in Bartlett?

Hardly even received any rain, .08". I did have a couple rumbles but they were minor enough where the fan pretty much muffled them out.

Attitash Grand Summit. We were returning from a moose safari and there was a good amount of lightning a little SW. Got inside and it opened up. But almost no lightning at that point. Kinda meh

Attitash Grand Summit. We were returning from a moose safari and there was a good amount of lightning a little SW. Got inside and it opened up. But almost no lightning at that point. Kinda meh

All of 0.01" overnight - things continued to die as they moved eastward.

Where were you moosing, Pittsburg? Or did they do the Errol-Rangeley loop? Both places are moosetastic.

Forget about the aftn stuff east of the CT river esp. There is the chance of some stuff tonight as a secondary impulse moves through...but my guess would be more south coast right now, but it could be a little more widespread. HRRR sort of hints at the development of it at the end of the run.

All of 0.01" overnight - things continued to die as they moved eastward.Where were you moosing, Pittsburg? Or did they do the Errol-Rangeley loop? Both places are moosetastic.

The Errol/Rangeley loop is "moosetastic". The area on Rt 16 between Wentworth's Location, NH and Wilson's Mills, ME is the best for moose watching IMHO. Not to take away from the beautiful landscape views.

The Errol/Rangeley loop is "moosetastic". The area on Rt 16 between Wentworth's Location, NH and Wilson's Mills, ME is the best for moose watching IMHO. Not to take away from the beautiful landscape views.

Took a ride last year after Santa's Village up Rt 16 North of Berlin past the next town by maybe 10 miles and didn't see a thing except tree damage from the storm complex last August that ripped through there; nice ride though!

Been in Maine 20 times and never seen a moose.

BGM confirmed a TOR yesterday... still ongoing

NOUS41 KBGM 091450
PNSBGM
NYZ009-018-036-037-PAZ038-039-092100-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON, NY
1055 AM EDT WED JUL 9 2014

...NWS STORM SURVEY TEAM HAS CONFIRMED A TORNADO NEAR SMITHFIELD NEW
YORK...

A NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STORM SURVEY TEAM HAS CONFIRMED THAT A
TORNADO OCCURRED NEAR SMITHFIELD IN MADISON COUNTY NEW YORK LATE
TUESDAY. DETAILS ON THE MAGNITUDE AND PATH WIDTH OF THE TORNADO ARE
STILL BEING DETERMINED. MORE INFORMATION ON THIS EVENT WILL FOLLOW
LATER TODAY.

$

MSE

NOUS41 KBGM 091436
PNSBGM
NYZ009-018-036-037-PAZ038-039-092100-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON, NY
1030 AM EDT WED JUL 9 2014

...NWS STORM SURVEY TEAM HAS CONFIRMED A TORNADO NEAR NEW ALBANY
PENNSYLVANIA...

A NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STORM SURVEY TEAM HAS CONFIRMED THAT A
TORNADO OCCURRED NEAR NEW ALBANY PENNSYLVANIA LATE TUESDAY. DETAILS ON
THE MAGNITUDE AND PATH WIDTH OF THE TORNADO ARE STILL BEING
DETERMINED. MORE INFORMATION ON THIS EVENT WILL FOLLOW LATER TODAY.

$

MSE

Yikes... tornado debris sig from the tornado that touched down near Syracuse but no tornado warning.

Still probably wouldn't have had lead time for where the worst damage occurred but there should have been a warning issued shortly after initial touchdown. 

Yikes... tornado debris sig from the tornado that touched down near Syracuse but no tornado warning.

Still probably wouldn't have had lead time for where the worst damage occurred but there should have been a warning issued shortly after initial touchdown. 

I think it had your KDP/ZDR separation too.

And once reaching Oquossoc, one can head south on Rt 17 (frequent moose either side of the height of land plus gorgeous overlook of Mooselookmeguntic Lake), or continue thru Rangeley and take Rt 16 toward Eustis for more potential sightings along the south branch of the Dead River.

Dews dropping, and I suspect any convection chances are going with them.  I'll take that trade-off.

Been a fun past few days of storm tracking at home and on vacay. Mostly stratiform rain here the past few days spilling over from storms in interior broward. Today, storms over the ocean are racing outflow west towards me and storms in the interior are racing outflow east... Absolute torrential rain and close c2g right now. Got some sun earlier this morning, so I'm all for it!

Archived