joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring/ Summer 2014 Convection Discussion

weatherwiz

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting couple of days.  Significant rain all around my house, but since Sunday we only had a total of 0.71 inches and it was divided up pretty evenly between Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.  None today.

With that many storms bouncing around, usually one will score a hit and drop some heavy rain - but none did, we were always on the edges.

Same here in Ashford...  Only .86 inches since Sunday, the most coming from the .45 inches yesterday.  It seems like the heavy rain has been dodging me for months.  The last time we had an inch of rain in a single event was 4/10, and the last real significant rain was 3/31-4/1 when we got about 2 inches.  I was certain that this would be our first significant rain event in months, but I guess I'll have to keep waiting...

I saw some nice looking storms around Worcester/Sturbridge yesterday. I don't regret going. I would have been disappointed if I went out specifically to chase but I made it part of a trip I already had planned.

I did get a little pissed when tornado warnings started going off on my phone for MY OWN COUNTY while I halfway across the state. 

When I arrived back in Boston today the storms were moving out over the ocean. People were pulling over on bridges to get look at this  :P

10qi2pd.jpg

Wall cloud wannabe + Faint rainbow combo over Boston harbor...

This is looking east from Fenway area, towards South Boston.

Rainbow_fake_wall_cloud_07_16_14.jpg

I saw this too. I came out of an hour long workout and saw it. I've never seen such an accurate scud impersonation of a wall cloud. Clearly wasnt rotating but damn, it was cool.

especially with the clearing and beautiful sunset starting in the backdrop.

That was a nightmare coming back from Kenmore to Arlington. Standing water 8-12" in the middle of streets usually not prone to flooding. Alewife was almost impassable at the height of deluge. Mass Ave. Arlington (Ctr. of town) power outage, three detours end to end....oh boy....left late morning with less than a tenth arrived back with 2.14" in the bucket.  

rt 16 from Alewife to 93 was a mess during that deluge. huge puddles had the road down to 1 lane in many spots. disastah!

GFS has some fairly steep mid level lapse rates but just garbage wind fields here in SNE. Looks like 7-7.5 C/km though so that's a decent look... only 10 knots of 0-6km bulk shear so probably pulsers?

Timing screws us again. Another after dark deal for CT. We know how that goes. NW Ct gets ripped.. Rest of us will see lightning and rainers.

Archived