• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring/ Summer 2014 Convection Discussion

weatherwiz

The 9z SPC SREF continues to be rather interesting.  Has some of the highest instability juxtaposed with some of the stronger shear, across the Hudson into western MA and western CT ahead of the cold front approaching from the east, however, you have the BDCF approaching from the NW and associated with high helicity values...now also include southerly channeling flow at the sfc.  Think we should see at least one great storm somewhere

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure I agree with the bolded from BOX

SEVERE CONVECTION IS NOT TYPICALLY THE CASE WITH THESE
BACKDOOR FRONTS AS INSTABILITY IS USUALLY LACKING. TODAY IS NO
EXCEPTION WITH DEW PTS EXPECTED TO REMAIN IN THE 50S.

I think typically we don't usually have great shear to work with and typically lift associated with them is fairly meager.  I can recall times having some decent instability in place with BDCF's approaching but shear was non-existent or lapse rates were nada

Not sure I agree with the bolded from BOX

SEVERE CONVECTION IS NOT TYPICALLY THE CASE WITH THESE

BACKDOOR FRONTS AS INSTABILITY IS USUALLY LACKING. TODAY IS NO

EXCEPTION WITH DEW PTS EXPECTED TO REMAIN IN THE 50S.

I think typically we don't usually have great shear to work with and typically lift associated with them is fairly meager.  I can recall times having some decent instability in place with BDCF's approaching but shear was non-existent or lapse rates were nada

Regardless I think instability is going to hold this event back. Not looking great IMO. 

Regardless I think instability is going to hold this event back. Not looking great IMO. 

Yeah models aren't really generating a great deal...would have loved even 750-1200 MLcape but that even seems hard to come by with dews only in the mid to upper 50's.  HRRR does develop activity but a bit unorganized 

I have a question which is just more out of curiosity than anything.  

Across western/central/southern PA dewpoints are into the lower and even mid-60's.  In fact, 3-HR dewpoint changes across central/eastern PA are about 4F.  Just wondering why we really aren't seeing any of this bleed into like at least eastern NY, unless it is but rather slowly.  Perhaps if the push of theta-e air was stronger?  Anyways, as the cold front approaches from the west and as the BDCF continues pushing SW, is it possible that some of those dews may pool into SE NY or into SW CT and maybe rise like 3F or so?

Archived