e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Spring/ Summer 2014 Convection Discussion

weatherwiz

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some NARR maps from July 10th, 1989...impressive combination of significant shear and strong instability for this part of the country:
post-533-0-73010300-1405020213_thumb.jpg

post-533-0-09841000-1405024583_thumb.png

post-533-0-49718500-1405024592_thumb.png

That ridiculous area of >5 STP, something you very rarely see in the Northeast. CAPE has to be interpolated, but seeing an area of >4,000 J/kg over New York at 18z and the same across southwest Connecticut at 00z just gives you an idea of what it might have been at say 21-22z.

Some cellphone pics from yesterday's storm in New Haven, as promised. Never tried to upload pics here before, here goes...

post-7308-0-35300200-1405023243_thumb.jp

post-7308-0-47806400-1405023320_thumb.jp

post-7308-0-44873400-1405023353_thumb.jp

post-7308-0-62345600-1405023460_thumb.jp

Edit: looks like that third one picked up some artifacts when I rotated it, sorry about that - it'll do for now. I also have a few more if anyone really wants to see them. Amazingly photogenic storm for the conditions and for this location. 

Sweet...going to go into school and register classes another day so not workin unt 5:30 Tuesday and I'm doing early care so I can get out at 3:15 as opposed to 4:45 and I'm going to get my friend from NH to come down to chase

I hope it pans out. I'm delaying a trip to the White mts. camping with my family because I don't want to be out there on Tuesday night. We'll see what the next few days bring....

Did anyone read this????????????????

TUESDAY...WITH THIS RUN OF MODEL GUIDANCE TUESDAY APPEARS TO BE THE
GREATEST THREAT FOR SEVERE WEATHER. A STRONG MID LEVEL LOW IN THE
GREAT LAKES COUPLED WITH A FRONTAL SYSTEM APPROACHING SOUTHERN NEW
ENGLAND YIELDS AN EXCELLENT SET UP FOR SEVERE WEATHER ACROSS THE
NORTHEAST INCLUDING DAMAGING WINDS...LARGE HAIL...AND TORNADOES.

Did anyone read this????????????????

TUESDAY...WITH THIS RUN OF MODEL GUIDANCE TUESDAY APPEARS TO BE THE

GREATEST THREAT FOR SEVERE WEATHER. A STRONG MID LEVEL LOW IN THE

GREAT LAKES COUPLED WITH A FRONTAL SYSTEM APPROACHING SOUTHERN NEW

ENGLAND YIELDS AN EXCELLENT SET UP FOR SEVERE WEATHER ACROSS THE

NORTHEAST INCLUDING DAMAGING WINDS...LARGE HAIL...AND TORNADOES.

Out of my region but that is very impressive wording from this far out, Paul. 

Pretty far out still but a good chunk of the Mid atl to NE looks pretty ripe at this point. Going to be checking in here for your thoughts frequently over the next few days. 

Out of my region but that is very impressive wording from this far out, Paul. 

Pretty far out still but a good chunk of the Mid atl to NE looks pretty ripe at this point. Going to be checking in here for your thoughts frequently over the next few days. 

When looking at convective and severe weather potential this far out it's always best to look at the synoptic setup on each set of model guidance and look at the consistency from run-to-run along with the agreement of each model and right now the GFS/Euro are both showing an extremely favorable synoptic setup and they both show high amounts of instability would be possible given degree of llvl warmth and moisture.  The questions just come down to timing which we can iron out as we get closer.  

Luckily I'll have ample time this weekend to look at everything and post so I'm pumped there!

When looking at convective and severe weather potential this far out it's always best to look at the synoptic setup on each set of model guidance and look at the consistency from run-to-run along with the agreement of each model and right now the GFS/Euro are both showing an extremely favorable synoptic setup and they both show high amounts of instability would be possible given degree of llvl warmth and moisture.  The questions just come down to timing which we can iron out as we get closer.  

Luckily I'll have ample time this weekend to look at everything and post so I'm pumped there!

TV Met Harvey Leonard mentioning the threat this far out i found interesting

I just heard about outlook for Tuesday. The media seems to be hyping this a bit, probably due to the storms earlier this week and what happened in upstate NY.

I'm off work that day and travelling from the Boston area to Wallingford, CT (I need to be there around 7pm). Of course I'm going to plan my trip accordingly.

It's 5 days out, what do you think the chances are that this forecast holds up? Pessimists please speak up :)

I personally would wait till the weekend to possibly change any plans. Severe outbreaks especially this far out can be fragile, that said they're are many great posters here that will give great insight into this threat regardless. IF it comes to fruition such as the EURO is saying it would be quite the outbreak for sure, but stay tuned this weekend ;)

I personally would wait till the weekend to possibly change any plans. Severe outbreaks especially this far out can be fragile, that said they're are many great posters here that will give great insight into this threat regardless. IF it comes to fruition such as the EURO is saying it would be quite the outbreak for sure, but stay tuned this weeke

06/01/2011 redux ?

The 12z Euro, while still supportive of some severe weather, had much less impressive wind fields. We're talking a 60kt LLJ right over SNE from 00z, to a messy 30kt wind field displaced further east from the decent instability.

I'd like to see some consistency before getting too hyped up about this one. We'll have to thread the needle just right for an actual outbreak, as opposed to spotty reports/brief spinups.

Edit: Wow, one thing I overlooked were the dew-point projections from the Euro. Widespread low to mid 70s, including 76 at BDL for 18z Tuesday...

The 12z Euro, while still supportive of some severe weather, had much less impressive wind fields. We're talking a 60kt LLJ right over SNE from 00z, to a messy 30kt wind field displaced further east from the decent instability.

I'd like to see some consistency before getting too hyped up about this one. We'll have to thread the needle just right for an actual outbreak, as opposed to spotty reports/brief spinups.

100% agree with this, historic outbreaks in this region of the country are rare for a reason and im talking about from NJ all the way deep into NE/north country. I believe the labor day 1998 outbreak was pretty well advertised overall leading up to it correct? that was the last time ive seen BIG storms on LI that's for sure!

Cold 5 h pools Overperform in SNE in July. This is not OK but something will pop , should be active.

Have to agree that a setup so anomalous for July will produce something, however if people are hoping for a tornado outbreak ala Rev Kev's 12-24 prediction, they'll probably be let down. #antihype

Have to agree that a setup so anomalous for July will produce something, however if people are hoping for a tornado outbreak ala Rev Kev's 12-24 prediction, they'll probably be let down. #antihype

Ya think? Lol.

Archived