amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Predicted snow total and events for 2014-15 IMBY

Deck Pic

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ha...I'm actually going to be pissed if we don't get an area wide 18-30" storm...2/12-13 sucked

Things have a way of evening out. We see it over and over again for many different reasons. The EC has lacked a high impact VA-ME storm for quite a while. We'll get a solid nesis event. Book it.

Next winter will be huge.  We are simply in a different regime now. The de-salinization of the North Atlantic and it's effect upon the Gulf Stream combined with an unstable polar vortex are all new players in the game.  Global warmers better start looking at the last 15 years rather than the last 50 because I can imagine a panel convening around 2025-2030 asking "how did you miss this...why did you ignore current data and fixate on older"

Now we got snow just about every single time we could 2013-2014 so I am uncertain by how much we will exceed 30" at DCA and 40+ in some suburbs but it will be at least that much and likely an overall colder winter.

Next winter will be huge.  We are simply in a different regime now. The de-salinization of the North Atlantic and it's effect upon the Gulf Stream combined with an unstable polar vortex are all new players in the game.  Global warmers better start looking at the last 15 years rather than the last 50 because I can imagine a panel convening around 2025-2030 asking "how did you miss this...why did you ignore current data and fixate on older"

Now we got snow just about every single time we could 2013-2014 so I am uncertain by how much we will exceed 30" at DCA and 40+ in some suburbs but it will be at least that much and likely an overall colder winter.

That won't be easy for some of the burbs which have had a brutal winter (esp if you include March), but I can see that happening in a place like DCA.

I think 12/29/97 and 3/3/98 were 8-12"+ storms far far north and west and there was a decent one in January..that winter was still crappy for most, but I think Manchester still managed 25" and the higher spots in the catoctins got 35-40+

If I'm not mistaken (too lazy to look it up) Jan of 98 is when the 24 hr snowfall record was set in WV...35" or so at Canaan. That was a storm that destroyed the Central and southern Apps. I lived in SWVA at the time and elevations around 1500 feet had no snow, but 2000 feet had about 15". We had early release from school so we took off to Boone to ski. It snowed over 40 " there that day (date ?). It looked crazy on the cars that employees had driven to work that day. We drove home going under and around down trees and power lines. I swear that it snowed flakes that day the size of softballs. Crazy.

That won't be easy for some of the burbs which have had a brutal winter (esp if you include March), but I can see that happening in a place like DCA.

winter temps for Dec-Feb even in the colder stations are easily crushable.....and I don't care about any station in Pennsylvania...If I see the word Pennsylvania in this forum next winter I'll probably be banned

QBO Low

Negative NAO

El Nino

SNOW 

Historic SNOW

8  7  6 more months.... it begins.

fixed

Fixed again.  It snows around here in October.  Proof:  http://1drv.ms/1eX12SP

The awesomeness of the Winter of 2014-15 starts in October because, well, because I want it to.

It's a proven fact that Oct snow is a curse more often then a precursor. I'll patiently wait for the Vet day HECS of 2014.

I know you were j/k, but for mby I do believe it....November snows are another matter and usually portend a decent winter (11/13 is the perfect example)

I love this tremendously! I crave a Little Ice Age!

• 3 months later...

I want at least one of the three things below to occur this winter.

1. DCA/BWI/IAD get their first triple-digit snow season

2. DCA/BWI/IAD get their first 36"+ storm

3. Double-digit negative air temps at all three locations

I would say all three, plus a 75 day streak of  4"+ snow-cover at DCA.

Archived