joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2014 obs and discussion

Ian

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had to edit this as I was one hour off on my time stamps. When I drove by DCA on the Pkwy at 5:55pm my car thermo registered 68, at 6:55 it registered 67 and at 9:55 it registered 62. Will see how that matches DCA.

similar to DCA though not sure how accurate a car therm is...

DCA was 68,66,60 at those same times

Ok. Interesting. Have some business there for a while so will do some more.

A car therm seems like one of the least reliable ways to measure temps....Not sure what you are trying to prove....I've driven into the city late at night dozens of times over the years and the temp always bumps up when you enter the city...often substantially....this morning Boston Logan had a low of 40, and 3 surrounding official suburban obs were 26-28....UHI/river is significant....These ideas you have about a DCA conspiracy are nutty...So the therm is correct at say 7pm, but then around 2am, someone secretly tweaks the thermometer to read too high?  This guy with a PNS right by DCA (not a weatherbug) had a low this morning of 51.....His contact info is there.....probably makes more sense to contact him than drive past the airport and look at your car therm...

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KVAALEXA34#history/s20140417/e20140417/mtoday

Outside air temperature sensors on cars overall are accurate. Their location(behind the front bumper on most vehicles) can lead to inaccuracies when driving through urban areas where it is influenced by heat radiating off of road surfaces. Its location on a typical car is low, less than 2 feet off the ground. In cases such as this, it should not be expected to be as reliable as a fixed sensor located at the standard height for official temperature measurements. 

Was just reminiscing about memorial day weekend last year when we put a up a couple double digit negative departures which is a big SD for late May....68/46 at DCA on May 25th....I was out in Cumberland outdoors watching music where the high was around 63 and low in the upper 30s...would love to see that kind of air mass again...maybe in early June...though I think once we hit June 5th, about the best we could do at DCA under ideal sunny conditions with a NW flow, would be around 73/54..

Ugh, The d+8 and D+11 both show a trough in the east with a nice neg NAO, a great winter look. Too bad it covers early May. By late May, the pattern would be a nice one, this time of year, not so nice. I like sunny and 60 or even better, 70s.

Thinking of canceling the chase trip and going out this weekend instead. I kid. Sorta.

The good news is even a -20 in early May isn't cold.

Archived