• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
April 2014 obs and discussion

Ian

12z GFS is about 3.5" for DC, slightly less east, more north/west. Map containing all of Mid Atlantic/Northeast coming soon

Also a couple warm days in there, before the front moves thru. Lower to mid 70's, upper 60's for the coast. Dew points look pretty high, which has been rare this spring.

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mcd0408.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0408   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   0321 PM CDT SAT APR 26 2014   AREAS AFFECTED...NRN VA...ERN WV PANHANDLE...MD...DE...DC...SERN   PA...SRN NJ   CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH UNLIKELY    VALID 262021Z - 262200Z   CORRECTED FOR GEOGRAPHIC DESCRIPTION   PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...5 PERCENT   SUMMARY...CONVECTIVE SHOWERS/ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF   PRODUCING GUSTY WINDS ARE POSSIBLE THIS AFTERNOON. WATCH ISSUANCE   SHOULD NOT BE NEEDED.   DISCUSSION...DESPITE DRY CONDITIONS WITH DEWPOINTS CURRENTLY IN THE   30S TO LOW 40S...DIURNAL HEATING AND COLD TEMPERATURES ALOFT WILL   PROMOTE THE DEVELOPMENT OF CONVECTIVE SHOWERS AND A FEW   THUNDERSTORMS THIS AFTERNOON INTO EARLY EVENING. WHILE CONVECTION IS   NOT EXPECTED TO BE PARTICULARLY INTENSE...STEEP LOW-LEVEL LAPSE   RATES AND 50-60 KTS OF FLOW AT 3 KM WILL FAVOR GUSTY WINDS WITH THE   STRONGER CORES. WHILE ISOLATED GUSTS NEAR SEVERE LIMITS ARE   POSSIBLE...THE OVERALL THREAT APPEARS TO BE TOO LOW FOR WATCH   ISSUANCE. THE WIND THREAT WILL DIMINISH THIS EVENING AS BOUNDARY   LAYER COOLING COMMENCES.   ..DEAN/THOMPSON.. 04/26/2014   ATTN...WFO...OKX...PHI...AKQ...CTP...LWX...   LAT...LON   37857572 38067750 38247870 38627902 39317896 40027837               40497716 40787509 40607417 40217403 39667419 39037475               38587503 37857572 

GFS has been preety consistent with showing heavy rainfall, it has shown 3+ inches for at least one location in Maryland since the 4/25 6z run. I think the latest 18z run is more realistic overall, it lost the 6 inches it was showing for Northern MD/Southern PA, and also expanded the 3 inch plus zone. Oh and WPC says get your arks out. http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/p168i.gif EDIT: Do you think we need Flood Watches? Since it looks like Wednesday could bring heavy rain in a short period of time.

Absolutely beautiful day out! Spent the morning at a horse show in Berryville, VA then came home and the girls have not been back in the house since. Currently 68 out. 

Allows you to get some things done around the house, I'm sure.  Beautiful day indeed! I spent all afternoon planting annuals, a lilac bush, and a rhododendron bush in the front.  Thank God for beer and iTunes Radio Top 50 Country to enjoy while gardening.

GFS has been preety consistent with showing heavy rainfall, it has shown 3+ inches for at least one location in Maryland since the 4/25 6z run. I think the latest 18z run is more realistic overall, it lost the 6 inches it was showing for Northern MD/Southern PA, and also expanded the 3 inch plus zone. Oh and WPC says get your arks out. http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/p168i.gif EDIT: Do you think we need Flood Watches? Since it looks like Wednesday could bring heavy rain in a short period of time.

No.  The rain is spread out over a long period of time, it has been dry recently and vegetation is leafing out which means the rainfall can get soaked up quicker.  If we go back to the 6"+ regime, then possibly.

GEFS actually increased from 12z. OP is the driest. All the other members show 4"+, two show 8"+.

No.  The rain is spread out over a long period of time, it has been dry recently and vegetation is leafing out which means the rainfall can get soaked up quicker.  If we go back to the 6"+ regime, then possibly.

Agree that flooding isn't that big of a concern here, but it hasn't been that dry recently. I have over 6" in the last 30 days, and from digging in the yard the soil is wet down to at least a foot. If we saturate the top level on mon night/tuesday and then go big on Wednesday there could be some problems.

Also with the east / southeast fetch off the Atlantic perpendicular to the eastern facing apps I would think areas along and just east of I81 would be the prime areas with this added enhancement. Models sometimes underestimate this I've seen .

My experience here is that they almost always underestimate that.

I think we're right on the edge here in terms of surface flooding. Obviously the area's that get train'd over will have issues with small creeks and streams. Overall though, a widespread surface waterway flooding event is not likely. That doesn't mean however that people's basements won't get flooded, some most very likely will. So if your one of those houses that gets water in their basement or sump pumps run when it rains hard; Make sure to get those drains cleared out and test your pump after a looong winter.

Archived