joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2014 obs and discussion

Ian

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another measurement embarassment for DCA. Andrews, Ft Belvoir, BWI, IAD all 10-12 degrees colder on the low. How people can worhship at this altar of inacurracy is beyond me.

This Saturday I have business down there so am going to drive right by the airport at 6:50, 7:50 and 9:50 and compare my car thermo to DC readings for the time frames.

Another measurement embarassment for DCA. Andrews, Ft Belvoir, BWI, IAD all 10-12 degrees colder on the low. How people can worhship at this altar of inacurracy is beyond me.This Saturday I have business down there so am going to drive right by the airport at 6:50, 7:50 and 9:50 and compare my car thermo to DC readings for the time frames.

All the reliable wxbug stations were about the same for a low.. 38/39. UHI sucks.

Another measurement embarassment for DCA. Andrews, Ft Belvoir, BWI, IAD all 10-12 degrees colder on the low. How people can worhship at this altar of inacurracy is beyond me. This Saturday I have business down there so am going to drive right by the airport at 6:50, 7:50 and 9:50 and compare my car thermo to DC readings for the time frames.

You might find that river toast extends all the way to the GW parkway :sun: .

Try driving also alongst I-395, and for laughs on Glebe Road (an original inner beltway).

Another measurement embarassment for DCA. Andrews, Ft Belvoir, BWI, IAD all 10-12 degrees colder on the low. How people can worhship at this altar of inacurracy is beyond me. This Saturday I have business down there so am going to drive right by the airport at 6:50, 7:50 and 9:50 and compare my car thermo to DC readings for the time frames.

UHI...plus E/NE winds...partly the same reason Annapolis had a low of 40.....my low  was 38

What do you think the temp was at DCA?..33?...You think the therm is off by 6 degrees?....

Here is a PNS, not a weatherbug, right near DCA in north Old Town...low of 38...the owner's info is on the link..probably make more sense to contact him than drive by DCA with a car thermometer

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KVAALEXA34#history/s20140417/e20140417/mtoday

here is the location (DCA where the black x is)....would likely yield similar conditions to DCA....might be worth asking him what he thinks about the therm at DCA

post-66-0-12848000-1397767320_thumb.png

In other obs related news, I found 1 minute and 5 minute ASOS/AWOS data today. Awesome.

1 Minute:

ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/asos-onemin/  (PType/Precip Ammount/ Pressure/ Temp/ Dew)

5 Minute:

ftp://ftp.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/asos-fivemin/ (METAR Format, incld. winds)

Ex. Derecho at IAD:

93738KIAD IAD20120629212515906/29/12 21:25:31 5-MIN KIAD 300225Z 28050G62KT 4SM HZ SQ FEW050 SCT070 BKN090 29/21 A2979 430 58 2200 300/50G62 RMK AO2 PK WND 29062/0223 CIG 075 WEST PRESRR

Here is a PNS, not a weatherbug, right near DCA in north Old Town...low of 38...the owner's info is on the link..probably make more sense to contact him than drive by DCA with a car thermometer

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KVAALEXA34#history/s20140417/e20140417/mtoday

UHI seems to be very pronounced on calm nights with low relative humidity. I had to drive to Silver Spring this morning, and my car thermometer was fluctuating like a seismograph.

Another measurement embarassment for DCA. Andrews, Ft Belvoir, BWI, IAD all 10-12 degrees colder on the low. How people can worhship at this altar of inacurracy is beyond me.This Saturday I have business down there so am going to drive right by the airport at 6:50, 7:50 and 9:50 and compare my car thermo to DC readings for the time frames.

DCA is fine...it's UHI and wind direction. My lows are often warmer than DCA's when winds are SW or S, but on NE or N winds I cool in sync with cities like McLean VA and Potomac MD.

While 60s and 70s are nice and I love sunny and 65... I would like to have some storms around here.  I do not believe we have really had a thunderstorm around here so far this year.  Granted, there have been a few rumbles here and there and the occasional storm, but I mean like real springtime storms.  Where you could see the line coming from the west and it would get really dark and you could see lightning in the distance and loud rumbles of thunder... where are THOSE storms?  I miss them... and if what I am looking at on the models is correct (and sometimes I am not reading them correctly ;) ) it doesn't look like we will see any real risk for severe weather (besides the "isolated severe storm") for what looks like the rest of April around the LWX area. 

Posted yesterday about today being tricky due to cool ocean air and that forecasts for upper 50's probably would be wrong and it's panned out with afternoon temps running upper 40's to low 50's. Another problem with DCA is it's strange 2-3* inter hour spikes. I have studies BWI and Andrews for years, they simply do not do this. So whatever very slight wind variation, or other issue, that will cause DCA to be 51 at the ob, then 51 at the next ob but report a 54 inter hour-whatever is causal to that is likley also participatory in the other faults and inaccuracies of DCA and please, please, please do not pull one weatherbug out of your butt as a refute.

Posted yesterday about today being tricky due to cool ocean air and that forecasts for upper 50's probably would be wrong and it's panned out with afternoon temps running upper 40's to low 50's. Another problem with DCA is it's strange 2-3* inter hour spikes. I have studies BWI and Andrews for years, they simply do not do this. So whatever very slight wind variation, or other issue, that will cause DCA to be 51 at the ob, then 51 at the next ob but report a 54 inter hour-whatever is causal to that is likley also participatory in the other faults and inaccuracies of DCA and please, please, please do not pull one weatherbug out of your butt as a refute.

Are you saying the equipment is faulty and when it reads 54 it is actually say 50 degrees?...so like a scale that is off by 3-4 lbs? 

I think you said mid and upper 40s with drizzle if we are worried about butt refutes.

I think he's saying that there is a computer program written by some global warming fanatic that bumps the temperature up in between hours.

56.4 for the high at home. Pretty nice.

West of 95 did a bit better than east today. It wasn't horrible but the lack of sun definitely makes it feel cooler. I preferred yesterday and even the day prior I think.

Archived