Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Spring 2014 Banter Thread

jm1220

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sure the Long Island crew knows this spot very well.

Meadowbrook Parkway, just past Hempstead Turnpike.  I go home this way from work.

At least once or twice a week, a truck wanders onto the Meadowbrook, despite the idiot signs everywhere.  I'll give this guy credit, though... clearly, he thought 10'5" was plenty of clearance for his Tonka Toy truck.

Meadowbrook Parkway, just past Hempstead Turnpike.  I go home this way from work.

At least once or twice a week, a truck wanders onto the Meadowbrook, despite the idiot signs everywhere.  I'll give this guy credit, though... clearly, he thought 10'5" was plenty of clearance for his Tonka Toy truck.

It seems to be a problem of truckers unfamiliar with the low overpass heights and it not showing up on GPS. The

signs warning of no trucks on the parkway always seem to be missed by at least a small segment of truckers.

A few other recent overpass events had the trucks getting wedged underneath. The worst commute I ever had 

along that stretch of the Meadowbrook was the flash freeze of 1-28-86 where the was essentially an ice skating

rink.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/student-recorded-trucker-who-hit-meadowbrook-overpass-1.8018961

A current radio campaign airing in the metro area also warns truck drivers of parkway height hazards and restrictions, advising them that normal vehicle GPS units often don't advise truckers of height dangers -- that truck-specific units are needed in New York.

He's mentioned next winter's forecast about 15 times already since this past winter ended. Going real conservative as per usual, analogs of 2009-10 and 2002-03 in the mix.

if we get an el nino it will be the first one since 2009-10...Other years with at least three years between el nino's are...

1951, 1957, 1963, 1976, 1982, 1986, 1991, 2002...the average of these analogs looks like average temperatures with above average precipitation along the coast...Chicago and Detroit get a warmer and drier winter...I wouldn't like seeing a 1951 or 1991 season but 1963 or 2002 I'll take in a heart beat...

if we get an el nino it will be the first one since 2009-10...Other years with at least three years between el nino's are...

1951, 1957, 1963, 1976, 1982, 1986, 1991, 2002...the average of these analogs looks like average temperatures with above average precipitation along the coast...Chicago and Detroit get a warmer and drier winter...I wouldn't like seeing a 1951 or 1991 season but 1963 or 2002 I'll take in a heart beat...

The key will be getting Atlantic/Arctic blocking as is usually the case for Nino's. Generally the Pacific pattern is fairly favorable but a strongly positive NAO / AO could yield warm and wet like we saw in a few of those analog years. 1957, 1963, 2002, 1986, and 1976 all had fairly solid negative NAO development, especially after Christmas-New Years. We probably won't know what type of winter we're looking at until November, unless the Nino does by chance get into "super nino" territory of >+2.0c. Then we can pretty safely say warm/wet, barring one lucky/well timed snowstorm like in 1983.

60% of the posters on this board should be 5 posted, 20% banned, 10% on permanent mod preview, and the final 10% free to post as they please.

and of course you would be included in the 10 % with no limit ? Anyways IMO everyone should have some sort of post limit per day especially in winter storm threads and hurricane/tropical storm threads - this would force people to think before they post one word comments - and all other banter.I see no reason for some folks to have 14,000 posts or 19,000 posts  so far since November 2010 - when many of us signed up here - the average is much less

I myself only have about 1821 posts in 1275 days since signup here - no reason to hog the forums IMO

Archived