Newest Member
    amirah5
Spring 2014 Banter Thread

jm1220

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arkansas has never had an EF5?

People will argue they had one this year in Mayflower/Vilonia tornado...but quibbling over whether a tornado was a strong EF-4 or a minimal EF-5 is beyond silly. The last time Arkansas saw an EF/F-5 was 1929 from what I remember.

Guest Pamela

Though the American Midwest has higher tornado probabilities than anywhere else on earth (I believe parts of China also rank very high)...the chances of an actual tornado striking any one particular spot are still quite small.

Guest Pamela

I was actually surprised to read that Suffolk County has had more tornadoes than any county in NY State in recent years (almost all of them very weak)...though the assertion that tornadoes are on the increase in recent years may be a dubious one...as prior to 1970 tracking and recording was done in a more primitive fashion...and face the facts...vast areas of the nation were uninhabited...meaning that many tornadoes likely formed & dissipated w/o anyone ever knowing. 

Guest Pamela

I was actually surprised to read that Suffolk County has had more tornadoes than any county in NY State in recent years (almost all of them very weak)...though the assertion that tornadoes are on the increase in recent years may be a dubious one...as prior to 1970 tracking and recording was done in a more primitive fashion...and face the facts...vast areas of the nation were uninhabited...meaning that many tornadoes likely formed & dissipated w/o anyone ever knowing. 

Though since Suffolk County is the largest county in the state...I suppose it makes sense...from that angle...despite one would think would be the stabilizing effect of the water.

Though since Suffolk County is the largest county in the state...I suppose it makes sense...from that angle...despite one would think would be the stabilizing effect of the water.

I would have thought western NY just east of the lakes. They sometimes can get powerful MCS as they exit the northern plains.

Guest Pamela

I would have thought western NY just east of the lakes. They sometimes can get powerful MCS as they exit the northern plains.

Yep...I think Chautauqua & Cattaraugus Counties are pretty high up there...counties known more for their famous lake effect snow.

That is odd. I would have expected an area near Syracuse down southwest towards the Finger Lakes to slightly east of those locations...or even the Hudson Valley more than Suffolk....definitely would not have given Suffolk a thought.

Guest Pamela

That is odd. I would have expected an area near Syracuse down southwest towards the Finger Lakes to slightly east of those locations...or even the Hudson Valley more than Suffolk....definitely would not have given Suffolk a thought.

Well, as I said before...plenty of upstate NY is sparsely populated so the chances of tornadoes forming & dissipating w/o anyone noticing in days prior to Doppler Radar and other technology seems likely.

The largest county in NY by area is actually St. Lawrence County up in the North Country.

What county in NJ has seen the most tornados? My guess is either Sussex or Burlington.

According to this site: http://www.tornadohistoryproject.com/tornado/New-Jersey/table

Burlington has seen the most from 1950 to the present with 14, followed by:

Union: 12

Ocean: 11

Bergen: 9

Cumberland: 9

Gloucester: 9

Mercer: 9

Cape May: 8

Hunterdon: 8

Middlesex: 8

Atlantic: 7

Camden: 7

Monmouth: 7

Morris: 6

Warren: 5

Salem: 4

Somerset: 4

Passaic: 3

Sussex: 3

Essex: 2

Hudson: 1

Amazing how many Union County has gotten for being such a small area.

Also the strongest tornado in NJ since 1950 has been an F3, occurring four times: two in Morris, one in Somerset, and one in Ocean. Most recent one was October 18, 1990 which occurred in Somerset County (Belle Mead/Montgomery, not too far from where I'm from) and injured 8 people, destroyed 3 homes, and caused $2.5 million in damages.

According to this site: http://www.tornadohistoryproject.com/tornado/New-Jersey/table

Burlington has seen the most from 1950 to the present with 14, followed by (including the 3 from last year as well since the site only goes to 2012):

Union: 12

Ocean: 11

Bergen: 9

Cumberland: 9

Gloucester: 9

Mercer: 9

Cape May: 8

Hunterdon: 8

Middlesex: 8

Atlantic: 7

Camden: 7

Monmouth: 7

Morris: 6

Warren: 5

Salem: 4

Somerset: 4

Passaic: 3

Sussex: 3

Essex: 2

Hudson: 1

Amazing how many Union County has gotten for being such a small area.

Also the strongest tornado in NJ since 1950 has been an F3, occurring four times: two in Morris, one in Somerset, and one in Ocean. Most recent one was October 18, 1990 which occurred in Somerset County (Belle Mead/Montgomery, not too far from where I'm from) and injured 8 people, destroyed 3 homes, and caused $2.5 million in damages.

Linden had one in 1990 that I actually witnessed (the wind not the actual funnel since it was dark). Also Plainfield had one during the 98 derecho before I lived here. Last of course has the one that hit berkely heights

Linden had one in 1990 that I actually witnessed (the wind not the actual funnel since it was dark). Also Plainfield had one during the 98 derecho before I lived here. Last of course has the one that hit berkely heights

Yes I remember the tornadoes from Labor Day 1998 as my aunt and uncle were living in Rahway at the time. My other aunt was also in Berkeley Heights during the tornado last year.

I recall the last tornado to hit Somerset County in October 2003 as well. It was in Bedminster just north of me so I didn't see it but I remember the sky being a greenish color and high winds.

Recent NJ tornados.

This one was near Jackson, NJ (Burlington County)

maxresdefault.jpg

And this one was I believe up in Wantage, NJ (Sussex County)

nj-tornado2.jpg

And then you have the video of what appears to be a funnel cloud from June 2012 down in Galloway, NJ (Atlantic County)

http://www.newsnet5.com/weather/weather-news/video-tornado-forms-over-high-school-graduation-ceremony-giving-graduates-a-weather-surprise

Archived